A grain of sand moved unexpectedly, what should I do?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duh
71W1zsyE0tL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Pellets of course

When he poops in the tank the ORP goes way up.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you went bare bottom, this issue would go away!!

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should wait 6 months before adding ANY sand grains to your tank, it's not mature enough. From what I've read on the internet, 3 bottles of microbacter7 and a whole bottle of Vibrant should get that sand to stop moving. Be careful with those sand grains, someone told me that they eat zoanthids.

PandorasChalk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I am having a similar issue. I had two grains move overnight and one of them is looking a little green... is this normal? Did you ever resolve your rogue sand? See attached picture (sorry for the blurry photo and lighting I live on a fault line). I'm just worried that if two grains of sand start moving, it all will. Worried about my Xenia and GSP.

2310734748_9391b17c66_z.jpeg

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the current problem with this hobby...everyone tries to cure problems with chemicals and technology...you need to go back to basic old school principles of reefkeeping...an undergravel filter with a 5000 gph pump will keep the sand and the goby firmly stuck to the bottom of the tank...probably the tang too...but you can tell your friends its an aussie yellow flounder

Last edited:

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the current problem with this hobby...everyone tries to cure problems with chemicals and technology...you need to go back to basic old school principles of reefkeeping...an undergravel filter with a 5000 gph pump will keep the sand and the goby firmly stuck to the bottom of the tank...probably the tang too...but you can tell your friends its an aussie yellow flounder
well said, I don't know why people like to fabricate stuff we used to do it all right with out all the fancy equipment why the change?? never saw a single grain of sand moving when I did it that way.

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang-and-Sand-scaled.jpg

I had a grain of sand move from one area of my tank to another
either 5G related or you have a PAR issue. If its a PAR issue the grain will find a comfortable location as long as you tank is fully cycled.
is you tank insured? if yes does your policy cover substrate?, you could always make a claim.........

I cant help but feel this may be staged and we are all getting played. sand doesn't just get up and move by itself. even your Tang looks confused/suspect. how well do you know the Tang?!

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sand-sifting goby you have a problem. They are not reef safe. Not only will they randomly move your grains of sand, they may drop one on your Disney+ Super Deluxe Neon Slimmer.

You need a two part solution to the problem.

First isolate the goby. Catch it, they actually make a pretty tasty, albeit small, appetizer for a surf and turf dinner.

Now that the original issue has been resolved it is time to make sure the problem does not re-occur. Drain ALL water from the tank. If you still have other fish donate them to your local LFS. You will replace them later with Reef-Safe species. Remove ALL sand and rock, don't worry about removing corals from the rock that will be handled later. Place ALL of the rock and sand in an oven and cook at 450 degrees farenheit for two hours. Then set aside to dry for 72 days. Make sure it is a full 72 days (1,728 hours NOT 1,720ish). While the sand and rock is curing bleach the tank thoroughly, have the interior sand-blasted and then resurfaced OR replace the tank with a new never-used tank.

Now you are ready to rebuild your tank properly. Buy a number of craft paints in attractive colors at your local craft store. A selection of matte colors along with a few neons should suffice. Also pick up a purple matte and a pink matte acrylic in large bottles.

Start by painting all of your rocks with a combination of the pink and purple acrylics. An airbrush can be very useful for this stage.

Next paint all of your corals in appealing colors. Dabs of neon highlight is most attractive under your blue lights. Don't forget to give each coral a unique and interesting name!

Now you are ready to populate the tank. Place the refurbished or new tank on the stand and secure it in place (epoxy works well).

Now carefully place all of your rock in pleasing shapes. DO NOT ADD THE SAND YET! It is best if the shapes seem to defy gravity. Make sure to maximize flow potential by avoiding caves or hiding places or any structure that might impede flow. Remember an Instagram-ready tank must place coral placement, pleasing colors and structure above all else. While not necessary it is advisable to epoxy the rocks to the bottom of the tank. If not the next step will help secure them but you cannot rely on having really top-heavy overhangs stay in place without the epoxy.

Now carefully pour in the sand and shape it into pleasing shapes. Once the sand is in place and you are comfortable with the composition, it is time to secure it all in place. This will give you a stable and repeatable photography platform. Start by immobilizing the sand. The best method for this is to use acrylic Matte-medium as it will not reflect the light in un-realistic ways. Using an eye dropper, place drops of matte-medium on the sand. It will tend to not sink in completely. To help with this fill another eye dropper with Isopropyl Alcohol and put a drop of IA on each spot of M-M. It will soak in. Go over the entire sand structure multiple times and give extra attention to the areas with rock work. Once it is all secure you need to let the entire structure rest for 14 days to allow the M-M to cure.

Now you are ready for water. It is best to use pure RODI from a RO/DI unit with AT LEAST 7 stages. This will ensure the clearest water and the least chance of accidental introductions of pest species of elements.

At this time turn on your light and flow pumps (make sure you are using only brand-new flow pumps that have been thoroughly de-chlorinated).

If you go on Alibaba or even Amazon in a pinch you can find many pleasing fish for your tank. Make sure they are the floating variety.

Now the last step in creating your pest-free reef tank. Using very thin fishing line move each of your new fish around in your tank until they look natural and move slightly in the flow (this is why you need the flow pumps on first). Once they are in pleasing spots secure their lines in place with gel CA (be sure to use tubes as the plastic bottles will suck in water and be rendered useless).

You tank is ready!

Edit-- to reduce ongoing maintenance, adding chlorine to the tank water will help reduce the chances of any algae outbreaks. Drain and refill the tank at least every other month to maintain proper pH, Calc, Alk and Mag levels.

Last edited:

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang-and-Sand-scaled.jpg

I had a grain of sand move from one area of my tank to another.

I'm concerned on what to do.....

Should I do a total tank teardown?
Should I do a massive water change?
Should I get all new powerheads?
Should I scoop out all the sand and do a thorough rinse?
Do I just replace the sand?

If I replace the sand should I replace 100% of it? 50%? 25%?

Please help
But are your zoas opened up?
Fall Fail GIF by MOODMAN

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sand-sifting goby you have a problem. They are not reef safe. Not only will they randomly move your grains of sand, they may drop one on your Disney+ Super Deluxe Neon Slimmer.

You need a two part solution to the problem.

First isolate the goby. Catch it, they actually make a pretty tasty, albeit small, appetizer for a surf and turf dinner.

Now that the original issue has been resolved it is time to make sure the problem does not re-occur. Drain ALL water from the tank. If you still have other fish donate them to your local LFS. You will replace them later with Reef-Safe species. Remove ALL sand and rock, don't worry about removing corals from the rock that will be handled later. Place ALL of the rock and sand in an oven and cook at 450 degrees farenheit for two hours. Then set aside to dry for 72 days. Make sure it is a full 72 days (1,728 hours NOT 1,720ish). While the sand and rock is curing bleach the tank thoroughly, have the interior sand-blasted and then resurfaced OR replace the tank with a new never-used tank.

Now you are ready to rebuild your tank properly. Buy a number of craft paints in attractive colors at your local craft store. A selection of matte colors along with a few neons should suffice. Also pick up a purple matte and a pink matte acrylic in large bottles.

Start by painting all of your rocks with a combination of the pink and purple acrylics. An airbrush can be very useful for this stage.

Next paint all of your corals in appealing colors. Dabs of neon highlight is most attractive under your blue lights. Don't forget to give each coral a unique and interesting name!

Now you are ready to populate the tank. Place the refurbished or new tank on the stand and secure it in place (epoxy works well).

Now carefully place all of your rock in pleasing shapes. DO NOT ADD THE SAND YET! It is best if the shapes seem to defy gravity. Make sure to maximize flow potential by avoiding caves or hiding places or any structure that might impede flow. Remember an Instagram-ready tank must place coral placement, pleasing colors and structure above all else. While not necessary it is advisable to epoxy the rocks to the bottom of the tank. If not the next step will help secure them but you cannot rely on having really top-heavy overhangs stay in place without the epoxy.

Now carefully pour in the sand and shape it into pleasing shapes. Once the sand is in place and you are comfortable with the composition, it is time to secure it all in place. This will give you a stable and repeatable photography platform. Start by immobilizing the sand. The best method for this is to use acrylic Matte-medium as it will not reflect the light in un-realistic ways. Using an eye dropper, place drops of matte-medium on the sand. It will tend to not sink in completely. To help with this fill another eye dropper with Isopropyl Alcohol and put a drop of IA on each spot of M-M. It will soak in. Go over the entire sand structure multiple times and give extra attention to the areas with rock work. Once it is all secure you need to let the entire structure rest for 14 days to allow the M-M to cure.

Now you are ready for water. It is best to use pure RODI from a RO/DI unit with AT LEAST 7 stages. This will ensure the clearest water and the least chance of accidental introductions of pest species of elements.

At this time turn on your light and flow pumps (make sure you are using only brand-new flow pumps that have been thoroughly de-chlorinated).

If you go on Alibaba or even Amazon in a pinch you can find many pleasing fish for your tank. Make sure they are the floating variety.

Now the last step in creating your pest-free reef tank. Using very thin fishing line move each of your new fish around in your tank until they look natural and move slightly in the flow (this is why you need the flow pumps on first). Once they are in pleasing spots secure their lines in place with gel CA (be sure to use tubes as the plastic bottles will suck in water and be rendered useless).

You tank is ready!
I tried that method, and my coral still got ich, how long should hold the tank under Hawking radiation? And before you say corals can’t get ich, the guy at the petco who sold me my $10,000 Xenia plug said that fish are immune to disease but that my coral can. He never steered me wrong before, my tank is doing really well, better than all of yours. Params all taste spot on.
Here’s a pic of the Xenia plug:
1639591851765.jpeg

It doesn’t look like pictures of Xenia online but I like it more.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that method, and my coral still got ich, how long should hold the tank under Hawking radiation? And before you say corals can’t get ich, the guy at the petco who sold me my $10,000 Xenia plug said that fish are immune to disease but that my coral can. He never steered me wrong before, my tank is doing really well, better than all of yours. Params all taste spot on.
Here’s a pic of the Xenia plug:
1639591851765.jpeg

It doesn’t look like pictures of Xenia online but I like it more.
Hold onto that. I believe it is Hawaiian and can no longer be bought sold or traded.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back