A Gyre pump your budget can get along with? YES, PLEASE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Bulk Reef Supply

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would this do on a SCA 50g cube? I have the rock set up in a horse shoe shape facing the front. Have 2 Jebao's on it now, but I get a few dead spots

This would be a great addition to the flow you currently have! Personally, I would try mounting it on the back glass and have it push towards the front. :)

OP
OP
Bulk Reef Supply

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does alternating gyre mode mean it runs forward and backward like how the maxspect 230's run really strong forward and gentle turbulence backwards?
Yes the 3K works in the exact same principle.

Can they be run with the IceCap Gyre interface module?
IMG_1964.JPG
Not currently, but they are looking into the possibility!

I heard the magnet on the inside is exposed. Is the magnet coated by anything? If not is there a risk of it rusting?
This type of ferrite core magnet, while having slightly less magnetism compared to rare earth ones, has an advantage that it will not rust and can be safely used underwater.

Think this would work in a shallow 60g 40x24x15
Absolutely! We use this style of pump on our frag tanks that are just about the same dimensions. :)

GPH on lowest setting? Nano version in the works? Show us nano guys some love lol

...zero :p

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a shorter one for us guys with overflows

ethridge78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the 3K works in the exact same principle.

Not currently, but they are looking into the possibility!

This type of ferrite core magnet, while having slightly less magnetism compared to rare earth ones, has an advantage that it will not rust and can be safely used underwater.

Absolutely! We use this style of pump on our frag tanks that are just about the same dimensions. :)

...zero :p

That's why I buy all my stuff from brs quick responses might have to go to you again now.lol

Tbabcock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this work well in a 90 with a corner overflow or would i need an additional pump?

Salt Kreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would be okay. As I go on day 2 with it, I think a 75 Gallon is the ideal tank proportion for this pump. I blows my 55 around like a whirlpool.

My fish swim right into the oncoming surge of water as it speeds up, almost frantically. Then when the surge dies down for a couple minutes they'll slow down and maintain position in the water column, then swim like it's a race right into the surge again. My BTA has also extended a bit more just before lights out, which it didn't do previously.

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my IceCap Gyre 3K yesterday, so far I'm very happy with it. I was a little worried it would be noisy based on some reviews of it and the Maxspect Gyres but it is very quiet. I have mine on a 40 breeder (36" long) running in the alternating gyre mode and 20% both directions. I had it at 30% for a while but the tank is mainly LPS and they were getting blown a bit hard. When I set it 50% and above the return flow blew all of the corals in the sand bed up against the rocks. I know it wouldn't have any trouble providing flow for a 48" tank and I'd bet it would do OK in a 60" tank.

The manual is a bit lacking. It took me a while fiddling with the controller to figure out how to navigate, but once I did it's easy pretty easy to get around.

I doesn't come with a lot of extra parts like the Maxpect Gyres and you can't control 2 pumps with one controller, but hey, it's $150. If it proves to be durable too it will be well worth the money.

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any of you who have purchased both the maxspect and the icecap gyres, are the bushings used for each paddle the same design as the maxspect? This is a horrible design flaw on the maxspect. I have to replace bushing every 3-6 months like clockwork and the shipping coralvue charges is much more then the bushings. It's ridiculous!

Salt Kreep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it's the same, I don't know what the Maxspect bushings look like or what material they're fabricated from. If you can provide some sort of image of one, I could reply meaningfully.

ibob991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set this unit up on my reefer 350 that is currently being built and it's pretty dang loud, even at 20%. Granted the only thing I am use to the mp10 quiet drives, so im not sure if this is standard or not. Please help!

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running one @ 10% on a small tank in my bedroom and don't even notice it.

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first set mine up it started making nose after I adjusted the angle of the flow with it running. I turned it off and back on and it has been silent ever since. I generally only run it at 20% but even at 50% all I hear is the noise of the water it's pushing around the tank.

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running mine on a 60x24x21 tank with 2 mp10s. It's pushing plenty of water at 50% & generally very quiet. I have noticed that if it picks up anything (algae ...) it gets louder quickly. I started using the little sleeves that come with it and have been changing them once a week or whenever I start hearing it.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what settings you guys are using? Please State tank size

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back