A Gyre pump your budget can get along with? YES, PLEASE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

radicaltour

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine back in February and it stopped working properly around June.
When I turn on the pump I can clearly see the middle white plastic pins spinning...but it doesn't turn the fans on each end.
I cleaned it real well and it started working for a couple hours then failed again.
I still need to contact their customer support.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the ice cap gyre. It came with a faulty motor but coralvue replaced asap and since then it's been running great. What a difference the gyre flow makes. Plus one pump for the 75 looks great. So far so good and very powerful.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going on the 6mos mark with mine. I love it. It was a lil noisy at first for my tastes but I seen others say that it would break in. Sure enough it is dead silent in a tank 10ft from my bed. I did have to replace one bushing. So I'm really glad that it came with two spares but I think I messed it up myself trying to put it back together after taking it apart for a good cleaning. Overall I'm very pleased

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the SD card slot is for updates, but does anyone know if there has been any (like communicating with a 2nd pump)?

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same positive experience with mine (also purchased in Feb). I've replaced the bushings once and use the removable sleeves to help keep it clean. Be sure to watch the maintenance video on Coralvue if you decide to take it apart for cleaning. I did some damage before I slowed down and watched it.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same positive experience with mine (also purchased in Feb). I've replaced the bushings once and use the removable sleeves to help keep it clean. Be sure to watch the maintenance video on Coralvue if you decide to take it apart for cleaning. I did some damage before I slowed down and watched it.
Yup..... That's how I messed my bushing up. Not watching the maintenance vid! [emoji12]

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang.... Woke up this morning and one side isn't spinning. Most likely it's the bushing. but it's on the same side as the one I already replaced. Grrrrrr.....

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang.... Woke up this morning and one side isn't spinning. Most likely it's the bushing. but it's on the same side as the one I already replaced. Grrrrrr.....

Oh no! Did you have a replacement bushing or is CoralVue sending you a new one?

-Randy

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh sorry I forgot to report back bout that. So yes it was the bushing again. I did still have one replacement that came with the unit. So all is good.
After watching the maintenance video, I realized that they recommend cleaning this pump every month and I surely wasn't doing that. So I assume that's why that bushing went bad again.

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh sorry I forgot to report back bout that. So yes it was the bushing again. I did still have one replacement that came with the unit. So all is good.
After watching the maintenance video, I realized that they recommend cleaning this pump every month and I surely wasn't doing that. So I assume that's why that bushing went bad again.

Great idea to have a few spares on hand! Thanks for the update! :)

-Randy

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the 3K works in the exact same principle.

Not currently, but they are looking into the possibility!

This type of ferrite core magnet, while having slightly less magnetism compared to rare earth ones, has an advantage that it will not rust and can be safely used underwater.

Absolutely! We use this style of pump on our frag tanks that are just about the same dimensions. :)

...zero :p

Any advice on setup for a 3k on a standard 75G FOWLR (well with one piece of duncan right now on the opposite side of the 3k)? Hope to add more coral in the future but nothing super fancy.

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on setup for a 3k on a standard 75G FOWLR (well with one piece of duncan right now on the opposite side of the 3k)? Hope to add more coral in the future but nothing super fancy.

I haven't played with these personally, so I'd have to see what they are capable of and what settings they have. Ryan just added some to the Red Sea E170 in his office as a part of the BRS/WWC System series. His episode on flow comes out this Friday so hopefully he shares his settings for it.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't played with these personally, so I'd have to see what they are capable of and what settings they have. Ryan just added some to the Red Sea E170 in his office as a part of the BRS/WWC System series. His episode on flow comes out this Friday so hopefully he shares his settings for it.

I haven't played much but this is what I've found so far. When it's on the side of my tank where i tcan be mounted horizontally (which has it going with the return flow) the gyre pattern gives great coverage but fills up the hole nearby where our pistol shrimp and watchman goby have made their home. On the other side of the tank (going against flow) I can have it on either side of the overflow, mounted vertically. But it seems like even on the lowest settings it's too much flow for our Duncan. So it's either risk trapping our little fishies, have too much flow for the Duncan, or move the Duncan. I'm thinking moving the Duncan is the best option.

This isn't the best picture but it may help. The Duncan right now is on the rocks where the red arrow is pointed. The shrimp and goby's home is in the sand on the other side (sort of under the red circle). So on that far side the gyre can be mounted horizontal, but on the overflow side it can only be mounted vertically on either side of the overflow panel.

tank orientation 2.jpg

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the flow of two XF-150 on the ends of an 180g vs the previous two MP40s.
Much better flow at lower intensity then the Vortech, you can see this in the bottom corners as the Gyres do their thing but absolutely hate the design in regards to cleaning. If you take them apart during soaking, chances are high that something breaks and does not operate properly when you put it back onto the tank.
The propeller bushings are a nightmare on the older XF-150s, hopefully they have resolved the issue with the newer rugged propellers and bushings that come with the XF-250s.

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't played much but this is what I've found so far. When it's on the side of my tank where i tcan be mounted horizontally (which has it going with the return flow) the gyre pattern gives great coverage but fills up the hole nearby where our pistol shrimp and watchman goby have made their home. On the other side of the tank (going against flow) I can have it on either side of the overflow, mounted vertically. But it seems like even on the lowest settings it's too much flow for our Duncan. So it's either risk trapping our little fishies, have too much flow for the Duncan, or move the Duncan. I'm thinking moving the Duncan is the best option.
This isn't the best picture but it may help. The Duncan right now is on the rocks where the red arrow is pointed. The shrimp and goby's home is in the sand on the other side (sort of under the red circle). So on that far side the gyre can be mounted horizontal, but on the overflow side it can only be mounted vertically on either side of the overflow panel.
tank orientation 2.jpg

I'm sure either way, the duncan or the shrimp and goby will adapt pretty easily. I'd likely be in the same boat as you for keeping the goby pair stress free and moving the Duncan. I also like that gyre flow across the top of the tank with undertow versus a cyclone style flow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back