A Hamster Ball and Reefing? There are at least two ways!

Have you ever used a Hamster Ball for reefing? (check the thread)

• Yes (tell us how in the thread)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 355 95.7%

• Total voters

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember years back seeing octopus’s in hamster balls ( or very similiar) in shops for reef tanks cause those critters not only eat your fish but are so prolific in crawling out of a tank; I have had personal experience with wild octopus wedged in stone crab traps/bottles in the Keys during lobster season ( they like eating lobsters too) and I like eating them but containing them in an open bucket can be a chore. Major crawling and suctioning. And they are so intelligent, so my appetite for them is diminished.
Anyway, that is the only hamster ball use I’ve experienced, but I like some of the other uses.

I'm not sure a Hamster Ball could contain a small octopus. Many, many, years ago an article in National Geographic showed photos of a small octopus squeezing through an 1/4" diameter hole in a piece of acrylic --- except for their teeth they have no bones in their bodies.

FinnyGyrrl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat ideas, but I have the equivalent of an hamster ball that I've been using to temporarily house some nems, but the problem is that after a few weeks the "ball" gets covered in algae, so I need to take the top off and drop it in bleach to maintain high light levels inside. Any ideas on how to solve that?
Just wipe it out, with paper towel. No worries, good to go.

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these okay in the long term though? I’ve been needing a fuge for a while now but if I were to use the hamster ball would it eventually start breaking down? Or releasing stuff into the tank?
Why would it? It's made of plastic. The majority of the equipment in your tank is made of plastic...

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what a perfect way to add your clowns in with their anemone and have them learn to be hosted

Karaburung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a fun and unique topic! I never thought about using hamster balls for reefing, but it's definitely intriguing. The chaeto ball idea is brilliant! It would definitely help to contain the chaeto in one place and ensure it gets enough light. Plus, it's kind of cute to see a hamster ball rolling around in your sump or fuge! And the cheap fish acclimation box idea is also quite clever! It's a great alternative to expensive fish acclimation boxes. Who knew hamster balls could have such practical uses in reefing?

Karaburung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a fun and unique topic! I never thought about using hamster balls for reefing, but it's definitely intriguing. The chaeto ball idea is brilliant! It would definitely help to contain the chaeto in one place and ensure it gets enough light. Plus, it's kind of cute to see a hamster ball rolling around in your sump or fuge! And the cheap fish acclimation box idea is also quite clever! It's a great alternative to expensive fish acclimation boxes. Who knew hamster balls could have such practical uses in reefing?

Speaking of hamster balls, did you know that hamsters can run around a room for hours on end without getting tired? I read an interesting article about it the other day. It's amazing how much energy they have! :D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back