A Hamster Ball and Reefing? There are at least two ways!

Have you ever used a Hamster Ball for reefing? (check the thread)

• Yes (tell us how in the thread)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 355 95.7%

• Total voters

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW. It's been years since I used one of those things...the last time I used a hamster ball was when my gerbils Turtle and Puma (who died in February 2017, 2 weeks apart from each other, when both were over 4 years old) were alive. One day one of the gerbils (Turtle, I believe) managed to pop the lid off the hamster ball, and I don't think I used it again after that...I found other ways to ensure they got their exercise. They were very hyper creatures, coincidentally...while VERY friendly (ran up to greet me and would willingly climb on my hand to be picked up...they occasionally tried to groom my hand also) they were not usually content to sit still on my hand when held and I had to constantly keep an eye on them as they climbed all over me.

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae aside, and thinking about toys in general- some fish love?

I have the Two Little Fishies feeder ring. The magnet/attachment bar sits a few inches below the surface, creating a "thing" near the surface.

My two clowns just love swimming back and forth over that thing. I also notice they are starting to try to "nest" on the magnet itself- they rub it as if it were a coral (new tank, I have no coral yet), exactly as I've seen them do with anemones in videos. (They aren't flashing.)

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish they made a Death Star version of that hamster ball. I’d get a Darth Vader outfit for my hamster if they did.

7C64F9AC-FE1D-4AE4-A732-3AB79D27D9F8.jpeg

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pick up stray chaetomorpha from socks and in the pre return filter. I've been putting it in a mesh bag but this is a great idea to put those loose strings in the hamster ball! I also love the idea of using for acclimation. I will need to think about how to execute that.

thermoJoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat ideas, but I have the equivalent of an hamster ball that I've been using to temporarily house some nems, but the problem is that after a few weeks the "ball" gets covered in algae, so I need to take the top off and drop it in bleach to maintain high light levels inside. Any ideas on how to solve that?

Isabel’s Hobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these okay in the long term though? I’ve been needing a fuge for a while now but if I were to use the hamster ball would it eventually start breaking down? Or releasing stuff into the tank?
That’s what I m asking myself !!! What is the ball made out if and is it reed safe in the long run ?

Seascapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this should be a fun one! Have you ever thought about how you could use a hamster ball for reefing? Don't lie, no you haven't! Well maybe a few of you have because these two members did!

Hamster Ball Use #1: A chamber to keep chaeto in! Adam Doty or @DozyDotes01 created the chaeto ball! HA! I can see how useful it would be to keep the chaeto all in place, to restrict growing out of control and to "roll around" in the sump or fuge so that all the algae is getting light! What do you think?

119451536_2669972036552785_6128862026422435144_n.jpg

Hamster Ball Use #2: A cheap fish acclimation box...err....ball! This idea comes to us via member @Outlaw

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1446853345.925873.jpg

I think these are pretty genius myself but I would like to hear what you think. Maybe you have an idea as well?

Wow this a first, never thought about it.
FB_IMG_1599156904490.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.8%
Back