A Hamster Ball and Reefing? There are at least two ways!

Have you ever used a Hamster Ball for reefing? (check the thread)

• Yes (tell us how in the thread)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 355 95.7%

• Total voters

Tilor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this should be a fun one! Have you ever thought about how you could use a hamster ball for reefing? Don't lie, no you haven't! Well maybe a few of you have because these two members did!

Hamster Ball Use #1: A chamber to keep chaeto in! Adam Doty or @DozyDotes01 created the chaeto ball! HA! I can see how useful it would be to keep the chaeto all in place, to restrict growing out of control and to "roll around" in the sump or fuge so that all the algae is getting light! What do you think?

119451536_2669972036552785_6128862026422435144_n.jpg

Hamster Ball Use #2: A cheap fish acclimation box...err....ball! This idea comes to us via member @Outlaw

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1446853345.925873.jpg

I think these are pretty genius myself but I would like to hear what you think. Maybe you have an idea as well?

I hadn’t thought of this and happy to say that I agree with you. What a novel idea!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would check the recycling number on the ball (I think all plastic goods have them?) and look up that number to find out what kind of plastic it is. Assuming it's one of the several food-safe plastics, it should be reef-safe.

They are not, however, hamster-safe. Hamsters and other animals need to be able to run with their back straight, so they need quite a large wheel, and hamster balls are usually much too small to allow for that. Also, their little toes can get stuck in the slots, there isn't enough ventilation, they can't see out clearly, and there's potential for them to hurt themselves if they find any kind of a drop or someone trips over them. They're not a good way for small animals to get exercise. A large, safe wheel in the enclosure, an enclosure that's big enough in the first place (at least four square feet, with plenty of burrowing depth), and supervised time out in a rodent-proofed area are the best ways for hamsters and other little critters to get exercise.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
here's a twist ,asked my daughter for hers..lol..she is digging out,but it is colored pale green?? still thinking would have to be safe ,what if animal was to chew on it;)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we need a R2R branded hamsterball?
Swag for new member drive, or just relabel a generic R2R "Reef Ball" and sell them all day on sale for $24.99 Let's make a fortune pricing of only $124.99/ R2R Glitter Reef Balls!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that was the other thread ;) this is not FB:oops:;Facepalm

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back