A Hamster Ball and Reefing? There are at least two ways!

Have you ever used a Hamster Ball for reefing? (check the thread)

• Yes (tell us how in the thread)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • No

Votes: 355 95.7%

• Total voters

C.Rayven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used it to hold anemones. However small ones can escape!
7126B252-F045-4AE9-B867-C7C1723F9E90.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just grabbed a small one at petco for about $3! Drilled a couple extra holes for added water flow for my cheato. Any tips on how to get this thing to "tumble/roll" in the fuge?
how about acrylic rod/plastic coat hanger and sm power head ;) ,i have been thinking on this all day:rolleyes::)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it wrong I want to set up a big aggressive FOWLR tank now, put each fish in a hamster ball, then drop in the food and watch them all smash around like bumper cars for an hour?

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just grabbed a small one at petco for about $3! Drilled a couple extra holes for added water flow for my cheato. Any tips on how to get this thing to "tumble/roll" in the fuge?
Earlier someone suggested suspending it with fishing line which I thought was an excellent idea.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I would never drown my kids hamster that would be cruel! A hamster ball will never get enough flow. I moved on from cheato and now use dragons breath for nutrient uptake. plus my tangs love it. My return flows into a Large CITR3 Pro In-Tank Refugium - CPR Aquatics

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it wrong I want to set up a big aggressive FOWLR tank now, put each fish in a hamster ball, then drop in the food and watch them all smash around like bumper cars for an hour?
NO, and I will handle the door admission. What an attraction!!! PT Barnum would be so proud.

RUKelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember years back seeing octopus’s in hamster balls ( or very similiar) in shops for reef tanks cause those critters not only eat your fish but are so prolific in crawling out of a tank; I have had personal experience with wild octopus wedged in stone crab traps/bottles in the Keys during lobster season ( they like eating lobsters too) and I like eating them but containing them in an open bucket can be a chore. Major crawling and suctioning. And they are so intelligent, so my appetite for them is diminished.
Anyway, that is the only hamster ball use I’ve experienced, but I like some of the other uses.

Raypriceart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this should be a fun one! Have you ever thought about how you could use a hamster ball for reefing? Don't lie, no you haven't! Well maybe a few of you have because these two members did!

Hamster Ball Use #1: A chamber to keep chaeto in! Adam Doty or @DozyDotes01 created the chaeto ball! HA! I can see how useful it would be to keep the chaeto all in place, to restrict growing out of control and to "roll around" in the sump or fuge so that all the algae is getting light! What do you think?

119451536_2669972036552785_6128862026422435144_n.jpg

Hamster Ball Use #2: A cheap fish acclimation box...err....ball! This idea comes to us via member @Outlaw

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1446853345.925873.jpg

I think these are pretty genius myself but I would like to hear what you think. Maybe you have an idea as well?

I have not even thought of a hamster ball but I have two rubber bands on my cheato. It kept coming apart and was getting in my pumps.

Raypriceart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember years back seeing octopus’s in hamster balls ( or very similiar) in shops for reef tanks cause those critters not only eat your fish but are so prolific in crawling out of a tank; I have had personal experience with wild octopus wedged in stone crab traps/bottles in the Keys during lobster season ( they like eating lobsters too) and I like eating them but containing them in an open bucket can be a chore. Major crawling and suctioning. And they are so intelligent, so my appetite for them is diminished.
Anyway, that is the only hamster ball use I’ve experienced, but I like some of the other uses.
Yeah I won't eat them anymore because of their intelligence.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea for Chaetomorpha in a sump/refugium, but I worry about the maintenance - needing to periodically clean algae off of it, inside and out, so as not to block the light reaching the Cheato.

Jay

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea for Chaetomorpha in a sump/refugium, but I worry about the maintenance - needing to periodically clean algae off of it, inside and out, so as not to block the light reaching the Cheato.

Jay
Hamster balls are cheap so get two. Swap them out when you trim and soak the old one in citric acid or something. Should be able to keep up.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hamster balls are cheap so get two. Swap them out when you trim and soak the old one in citric acid or something. Should be able to keep up.

7% Hydrogen peroxide would be the key! Easy to rinse off.

Thanks,

Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back