A handful of my green LPS coral are looking bad

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mentioned green because all my others seem fine, could be a coincidence but my green frogspawn and hammer are shriveled, but purple hammer is fine, My green Trachyphilia (coral I had almost two years) used to be puffy and now shriveled. Green goniopora frag, which was once flowing and longer is very stubby, but the red frag is happy. Green candy cane pretty shriveled. Any ideas?

My parameters are:

alk 9 dkh
Cal 470
Mag 1400
Ph 7.8-8.1
Sg 1.026
Temp 79 degf
Phosphate 0.1
Nitrate 5-10
0A45C6D7-F84F-4100-A73C-27E6B5C1548D.jpeg
813322A3-174A-4450-84BF-4E4918DEECD0.jpeg
B3F6F049-F9B5-4FED-9464-5A0C47D282FB.jpeg
9624B950-2FB6-4CA9-8182-6E2EBCB0009D.jpeg

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been making pretty regular water changes (weekly about 15%), I use AI prime lights and have them set close to settings that mimic AB+, the Trachy was doing bAf a month or two ago, and I moved it to another tank I have (smaller 38 gal tank, and it puffed back up nicely, the only reason I moved it back is it is my clown’s home for over a year. and they were so thankful to have it back.

I will mention that my powder blue tang was picking at it, that is why I moved it, I think he is mistaken certain green corals for nori but I don’t see him doing that any more, and he only picked at the Trachy a lot and goni once or twice. But that was 1-2 months ago. I’ve been observing him a daily and he doesnt do it any more.

the other coral he picked at, green torch was bad, and I moved it to the other tank and it perked up.

I know it sounds like that’s the answer, but I really feel it’s a water problem but can’t for the life of me figure it out.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been making pretty regular water changes (weekly about 15%), I use AI prime lights and have them set close to settings that mimic AB+, the Trachy was doing bAf a month or two ago, and I moved it to another tank I have (smaller 38 gal tank, and it puffed back up nicely, the only reason I moved it back is it is my clown’s home for over a year. and they were so thankful to have it back.

I will mention that my powder blue tang was picking at it, that is why I moved it, I think he is mistaken certain green corals for nori but I don’t see him doing that any more, and he only picked at the Trachy a lot and goni once or twice. But that was 1-2 months ago. I’ve been observing him a daily and he doesnt do it any more.

the other coral he picked at, green torch was bad, and I moved it to the other tank and it perked up.

I know it sounds like that’s the answer, but I really feel it’s a water problem but can’t for the life of me figure it out.
I'd agree with you on it being a water problem. When I had similar issues, however, it was because my nutrients were too low. Yours appear to be in a decent range.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns could eventually cause an issue with using the trachyphyllia as a host and the nipping is definitely a concern. Especially if other corals are doing fine.

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time this happened to me it was a salinity issue - what are you using to check salinity? Refractometer - have you calibrated it recently? Do you use NSW or ASW?
Or do you use a hydrometer

If it’s not salinity it could be some other chemical in your tank causing problems - do you run carbon? If not I’d run some ASAP and see if that removes what ever is bothering your corals

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was just the Trachy i would think it could be the clowns and tang nipping. But for it to extend to this many green LPS. I probably should get the process going to get an ICP test done.

I do have a refractometer, I may double check it now. I use rodi for the zero mark, and calibration fluid of 35 ppt (1.0264 sg), I just assume its doing the trick. I’m going to check it now

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was just the Trachy i would think it could be the clowns and tang nipping. But for it to extend to this many green LPS. I probably should get the process going to get an ICP test done.

I do have a refractometer, I may double check it now. I use rodi for the zero mark, and calibration fluid of 35 ppt (1.0264 sg), I just assume its doing the trick. I’m going to check it now
Yep I thought the same however I was about 0.003 off and that was enough to make the corals retract a fair bit. Corals really start to hate it after 1.028 I found out lol

Did you say you had carbon?

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running carbon and GFO in a dual reactor. Lately my phosphate was getting high and Increased my gfo. That brought it down below .1, im probably more at .07 right now. Note: i was having this problem before increasing my gfo

do you think 1.0263 is too high for a mixed reef? maybe I can try bring down to 1.025 and see how it reacts

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of nutrients aren’t going to effect it that much they should still extend just stunt their growth.

1.026 is fine for a mixed reef and it’s what I run my tank at. If you are certain that it’s correct then I wouldn’t change it.

next bet is to do a partial water change and see if they improve.

confirming no lighting changes? What lights and schedule are you running?

Other than that I am out of ideas!

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something else that’s worked for me in the past is moving them to the bottom of the tank on their own in low flow and seeing if they improve. Sometimes something is annoying them like a sweeper tentacle or the light/flow isn’t right for them. Then if they improve start slowly moving them back up the tank where you want them

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of nutrients will absolutely kill corals (I've proved that in the past, unfortunately), but I don't think that is the issue for you.

I agree that you can't hurt anything with a water change and running some carbon just in case. 1.0263 is just fine for a mixed reef as long as the salinity is stable.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of nutrients aren’t going to effect it that much they should still extend just stunt their growth.

1.026 is fine for a mixed reef and it’s what I run my tank at. If you are certain that it’s correct then I wouldn’t change it.

next bet is to do a partial water change and see if they improve.

confirming no lighting changes? What lights and schedule are you running?

Other than that I am out of ideas!

Well I have been tweaking light lately, this is a snapshot of my current schedule. I maxed out the v/uv lights which was recommended for the ab+ schedule, I was original at a high blue percentage and uv slightly Below. I didn’t think these were major changes, and everything else is still happy. But If you think my change just aggravated them and just need to wait for adjustment time. These changes were made a week or two ago. And I do have a higher green percentage than most use.
18B20C3E-062E-4597-87D6-023034D721F1.png

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have been tweaking light lately, this is a snapshot of my current schedule. I maxed out the v/uv lights which was recommended for the ab+ schedule, I was original at a high blue percentage and uv slightly Below. I didn’t think these were major changes, and everything else is still happy. But If you think my change just aggravated them and just need to wait for adjustment time. These changes were made a week or two ago.
18B20C3E-062E-4597-87D6-023034D721F1.png

did they respond like this as soon as the lights were changed? Doesn’t seem too aggressive.... corals can be very sensitive to light changes but I’ve always been able to make pretty aggressive changes without much issue and corals never seem to take long to adjust (usually 1-2 days)
Even buying new corals and stocking them into the tank that’s a huge change both water wise and lighting wise and they normally adjust within the day so can’t imagine that being your issue

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d more expect SPS to be less forgiving to changes then LPS.

OP
OP
LMDAVE

LMDAVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my sps are very slow grower and some not at all, my green slimer is the only one showing significant growth.

But i was having problem with these LPS before I made the light changes, but they did start getting worse afterwards, could be a coincidence.

Just still weird how it’s only affecting the green LPS

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, my sps are very slow grower and some not at all, my green slimer is the only one showing significant growth.

But i was having problem with these LPS before I made the light changes, but they did start getting worse afterwards, could be a coincidence.

Just still weird how it’s only affecting the green LPS
Yep bizzare. I’d do a water change and wait a day or two see if they improve if not we can look at other options

are you using artificial salt? If so what brand

Back