A Hardy, Fast Growing, Pretty & Inexpensive Coral...Does it exist?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 309 73.9%
  • NO

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 86 20.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much all subjective categories. I like my GSP and most any zoas, frogspawn, torches … I like the swaying with currents.
Pretty - you must have thought it pretty (at least at one time) IF you have it in your tank
Hardy/fast growing - result of your efforts to keep it thriving
Inexpensive - If you can swing it financially and it makes you happy … you are probably going to buy it … can you really put a price on happiness?!? :rolleyes:

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdsnest
Candy Canes
Duncans

Though I did recently pick up a Walt Disney frag for $20, that's pretty cheap in my book.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP and green branching hammers. Both very pretty IMO and grow like weeds. Minimal requirements. Can be grown under just about any light. Almost impossible to kill. Great for beginners too. Super cheap.

plan the gsp placement well and it’s easy to manage.
With the hammers, you’ll have to throw heads away eventually once your single $15 head has turned in to over a hundred in just a few years!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon green nepthea
27 June 20
20200627_122627.jpg

11 March 21
20210331_220419.jpg

I really love the fireworks clove polyps.
20210304_204259.jpg

Last edited:

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora digitata.
Monti cap.
Green slimer.
Birds nest.
Stylophora.
Duncans.
Rasta zoas.
GSP.
All pretty basic and common, but still very nice and all have different colors and growth patterns in the tank.

It's like you stole my stocking list. Just add in pocillopora, eagle eye & dragon eye zoas.

We say common, but really who looks at a grown out mixed reed of those choices and isn't inspired to jump into this world. The hobby as a whole seems to be jaded by named variants and collector syndrome now.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree
what's considered inexpensive?
Or pretty for that matter. Expense and beauty are extremely subjective qualifiers. But, I guess that is the point of that question - to address the ambiguity and come up with a recommendation.

My vote for this question will go to the following Balstomussa Merletti frag that I picked up at the recent Tidal Gardens sale. It is a frag, but it is "beautiful" and costed $28 dollars - which isn't terribly expensive.

In the frags defence, Balstomussa Merliettis are supposed to be relatively hardy and fast growers. Proof is in the pudding - will report after 6 months

Note: This is a stock photo since my corals are being held at Tidal Gardens for safe keeping.

Screenshot_20210420-093716_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this question a pipe dream? I don't think so but the better question is how rare is this coral combo and more importantly which corals should we be looking for? But then again if it's rare then it must be expensive right? This is turning into something more like a rabbit hole! HA! Nevertheless let's see what you all have up your sleeve. And of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some corals do better in other people's tanks. With that in mind let's try it anyway!

What coral would you say is Hardy, Fast Growing, Pretty and Inexpensive? (must meet all the criteria)

coral dreaming.jpg
Idc what anyone says, I love pulsing xenia. I think its beautiful

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a darth maul zoa bright metallic red that will not stop growing. Grew from 1 poly to 42 in 5 months and will takeover any soft coral in the vicinity. Anyone want some let me know
Is there and Obi Wan coral available? That would probably keep it in check.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a darth maul zoa bright metallic red that will not stop growing. Grew from 1 poly to 42 in 5 months and will takeover any soft coral in the vicinity. Anyone want some let me know
Me. Where are you located?

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or pretty for that matter. Expense and beauty are extremely subjective qualifiers. But, I guess that is the point of that question - to address the ambiguity and come up with a recommendation.

My vote for this question will go to the following Balstomussa Merletti frag that I picked up at the recent Tidal Gardens sale. It is a frag, but it is "beautiful" and costed $28 dollars - which isn't terribly expensive.

In the frags defence, Balstomussa Merliettis are supposed to be relatively hardy and fast growers. Proof is in the pudding - will report after 6 months

Note: This is a stock photo since my corals are being held at Tidal Gardens for safe keeping.

Screenshot_20210420-093716_Samsung Internet.jpg
Blastomussa are great looking. First coral in this reef was a blasto I took in trade for some hitchhiker mantis shrimp. Tossed in it there 2 weeks post cycle and it's thriving. Great color in any lights, even under my ancient 250w phoenix

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble gum digi?

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blastomussa are great looking. First coral in this reef was a blasto I took in trade for some hitchhiker mantis shrimp. Tossed in it there 2 weeks post cycle and it's thriving. Great color in any lights, even under my ancient 250w phoenix
That is quite reassuring reefinatl. Thanks!! I have picked up this blasto, a bunch of favias, 2 pavonas and 1 pocillopora to test waters (literally). They are all "supposed to be relatively hardy". Some of them, especially favias, are slowish growers. Hence picked the Balsto from my recent shopping, for this poll question :)

GGonzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with GSP. To me it meets all of those requirements. It was the coral that got me interested in corals.
Now if only it didn't grow and take over everything, although I think a tank completely covered in GSP would look cool.
I plan on gluing a little on my back glass. I've seen pictures of tanks like this and I find then beautiful. Just like a lawn, you have to "mow it" - keep it away from what you don't want it touching or growing over.

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer to this post is any soft coral. Some of the best reef tanks on YouTube in my opinion are soft coral tanks, and this is coming from an stick addict. My electric clove polyps, orange rhodactis, neon green octospawn, cheap zoas, Kenya tree, and especially my gsp are all extremely hardy, fast growing, and super cheap. Yet they look way better than some extremely expensive corals.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in love with the Duncan corals! Just bought a single head I've had it for 2 weeks I have been feeding every other day and this morning it is showing signs of sprouting what looks like 5 heads! So excited we're having babies!
I love my Duncan as well!

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no, simply because anything that will fit all criteria is basically a pest that you learned to live with but is still preventing you from living with something better, nicer, prettier.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back