A Hardy, Fast Growing, Pretty & Inexpensive Coral...Does it exist?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 309 73.9%
  • NO

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 86 20.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing a lot of posts about green slimers. I've always wanted to give them a try as my first sps, but never had the guts to actually buy one. Maybe I will......

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are lots if you have locals around you. The Green Slimer being one. Just avoid the chop shops that make up stupid names and you will find awesome deals. Don't chase coral names! It destroys the hobby

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing a lot of posts about green slimers. I've always wanted to give them a try as my first sps, but never had the guts to actually buy one. Maybe I will......
I am trying out my first SPS as well. Cheers Sharkbait!! You may also consider researching Pavona and Pocilloporas (which many folks would say can easily be part of your first corals, forget first SPS) ... Green Slimers are Acros - which are sensitive corals as a species (based on my past experiences)

Again, I am in the same boat as you w.r.t. SPS, and am only suggesting a research for your consideration.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really must've been gone a while I remember them being on the lower end for SPS a decade ago. Not monticap affordable but pretty cheap. The best part about the old stuff is it still looks good as it did then and prices have done nothing but come down.

I broke down my 90 gallon in around 2012 :)
They were starting to show up more when I got out, but were still not 'common' yet.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying out my first SPS as well. Cheers Sharkbait!! You may also consider researching Pavona and Pocilloporas (which many folks would say can easily be part of your first corals, forget first SPS) ... Green Slimers are Acros - which are sensitive corals as a species (based on my past experiences)

Again, I am in the same boat as you w.r.t. SPS, and am only suggesting a research for your consideration.
Frontrunners for me were the slimer, birdsnest, and pavona. Pocillopora looks interesting! Thanks for the info!

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the Green Slimer and avoid pocis at all costs. They drop babies and spread all over the tank like a plague
rtparty... are you saying that pocilloporas propagate on their own and are like the weeds of the SPS world? That is great info. Gotta look into this a little further. Gracias!

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
green poccilopora. it's the devil.
Can you expand on the that fishy-fish? I am getting a Green Pocillopora and am now getting concerned.

Speaking of the Devil, Elizabeth Hurley was the Devil in Bedazzled - if thats the kind of Devil Green Pocilloporas are, i might enjoy it.

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Can you expand on the that fishy-fish? I am getting a Green Pocillopora and am now getting concerned.

Speaking of the Devil, Elizabeth Hurley was the Devil in Bedazzled - if thats the kind of Devil Green Pocilloporas are, i might enjoy it.
don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful coral and extremely hardy. but it's TOO hardy.

I had a large softball sized colony in my tank, it grew fast from a frag in about half a year. I had a bit if a crash and the whole colony, among a lot of other coral, died out. I didn't know the name at the time and out of nowhere realized 2 years later that I suddenly had a single polyp cluster of it growing on a specific rock. "cool!" I thought, since this fast growing coral was really nice to look at.

waited a little longer, the cluster turned into a mount, then a branch, then into whole colony again. mid winter I had a 4 day power outage, and a lot of the colony ended up bleached. in the following months my tank started to get taken over by the coral as polyps clusters appeared all over and they started growing into colonies.

apparently, when the coral gets stressed it does what's called a "polyp bailout" and drops its polyps all over the tank. I tried kalk and burning them and they kept on growing all over, it was worse than aptasia. after this i made the decision to never have the coral in my tank again, which sucks because it really is a very pretty coral.

20190205_154315.jpg

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful coral and extremely hardy. but it's TOO hardy.

I had a large softball sized colony in my tank, it grew fast from a frag in about half a year. I had a bit if a crash and the whole colony, among a lot of other coral, died out. I didn't know the name at the time and out of nowhere realized 2 years later that I suddenly had a single polyp cluster of it growing on a specific rock. "cool!" I thought, since this fast growing coral was really nice to look at.

waited a little longer, the cluster turned into a mount, then a branch, then into whole colony again. mid winter I had a 4 day power outage, and a lot of the colony ended up bleached. in the following months my tank started to get taken over by the coral as polyps clusters appeared all over and they started growing into colonies.

apparently, when the coral gets stressed it does what's called a "polyp bailout" and drops its polyps all over the tank. I tried kalk and burning them and they kept on growing all over, it was worse than aptasia. after this i made the decision to never have the coral in my tank again, which sucks because it really is a very pretty coral.

20190205_154315.jpg
Thank you good sir! Great info!

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocillopora damicornis gets my vote.The neon green ones are pretty, they're easy to keep and grow quickly if you have decent lighting and flow, and you can get a 1.5 inch frag for less than $30.

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this question a pipe dream? I don't think so but the better question is how rare is this coral combo and more importantly which corals should we be looking for? But then again if it's rare then it must be expensive right? This is turning into something more like a rabbit hole! HA! Nevertheless let's see what you all have up your sleeve. And of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some corals do better in other people's tanks. With that in mind let's try it anyway!

What coral would you say is Hardy, Fast Growing, Pretty and Inexpensive? (must meet all the criteria)

coral dreaming.jpg
Well, new to all this (first tank approaching 1 year anniversary, but I have to say that the one coral that has taken off the most recently is that pretty Monti - picture attached - middle right. It took some time (6-8 months) before really doing much, but now he is quite happy and growing. And, he (or she) was a cheap purchase!! Lets not talk about that Xenia

Attachments

• Tank today.jpg
    Tank today.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 53

kirbuno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubblegum Montipora digitata.
I agree with this, though I'm thinking bubblegum digitata, may not be the same thing. I've had this coral break and fall on the same and continue to grow, which is not true with most corals.

REPOWER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Within the parameters given, GSP takes the cake. Followed by Duncans and colts. Pretty, hardy and inexpensive.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back