A Hardy, Fast Growing, Pretty & Inexpensive Coral...Does it exist?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 309 73.9%
  • NO

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 86 20.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Rich Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this question a pipe dream? I don't think so but the better question is how rare is this coral combo and more importantly which corals should we be looking for? But then again if it's rare then it must be expensive right? This is turning into something more like a rabbit hole! HA! Nevertheless let's see what you all have up your sleeve. And of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some corals do better in other people's tanks. With that in mind let's try it anyway!

What coral would you say is Hardy, Fast Growing, Pretty and Inexpensive? (must meet all the criteria)

coral dreaming.jpg
I have found green finger leather grows quickly and is very nice and has structure unlike GSP. I have Pink star polyps and toadstool as well as zoas and devils hand and superman mushrooms. Most of the soft corals are "easy" ( relative term), grow fairly quickly under good parameters and are relatively less expensive than designer corals or some LPS and SPS. RBTA's are also fairly ahrdy and easy but not so less expensive.

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing a lot of posts about green slimers. I've always wanted to give them a try as my first sps, but never had the guts to actually buy one. Maybe I will......

Do it my friend! I just picked one up from Tidal Gardens a couple months back and it's one of the brightest corals I have in my tank, doing just fine! I try to stay away from green corals cause there are so many of them but have to say this one is great!

GreenSlimer.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it my friend! I just picked one up from Tidal Gardens a couple months back and it's one of the brightest corals I have in my tank, doing just fine! I try to stay away from green corals cause there are so many of them but have to say this one is great!

GreenSlimer.jpg
Same here! I try to avoid green because that's all my tank has right now! But if it's a coral like that, I may make an exception!

Swordsman82

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am the only one that thinks Cyphastrea is hardy, pretty, and inexpensive.

got an decent sized frag 3 weeks ago and it’s already growing off the edge of the frag plug.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say xenia, it really is a beautiful coral with lots of movement that really brings life to a tank.
When I was first doing research for my tank, I came across xenia. I instantly fell in love with it more than any other coral, and that was before I realized how common and easy it was. I figured it would be something that's one in a million, and then when I started looking for it, I suddenly realized that every place had them!

I was also shocked by how inexpensive they were. Fast forward to today, when my tank is littered with the stuff.....now I get it.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
rtparty... are you saying that pocilloporas propagate on their own and are like the weeds of the SPS world? That is great info. Gotta look into this a little further. Gracias!
Yes. They self frag and spread babies all over the tank. Once happy, you can't kill them either

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was first doing research for my tank, I came across xenia. I instantly fell in love with it more than any other coral, and that was before I realized how common and easy it was. I figured it would be something that's one in a million, and then when I started looking for it, I suddenly realized that every place had them!

I was also shocked by how inexpensive they were. Fast forward to today, when my tank is littered with the stuff.....now I get it.

It's one coral I will always keep, it was my first corals as well.

IMG_7782.jpg

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My birdsnest is hardly moving 4 months later. where is yours in the water column? flow area?
Top 2/3rds of the tank with high flow and what I suspect is high light but I've never checked w a par meter. Check the link to my build thread, I have a few varieties in the tank now and all are doing well and showing growth.

Wil__Mar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this question a pipe dream? I don't think so but the better question is how rare is this coral combo and more importantly which corals should we be looking for? But then again if it's rare then it must be expensive right? This is turning into something more like a rabbit hole! HA! Nevertheless let's see what you all have up your sleeve. And of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some corals do better in other people's tanks. With that in mind let's try it anyway!

What coral would you say is Hardy, Fast Growing, Pretty and Inexpensive? (must meet all the criteria)

coral dreaming.jpg
Zoas

coral dreaming.jpg
Zoas are very inexpensive now days true not a Coral.

Attachments

• IMG_20210321_225014_837.jpg
    IMG_20210321_225014_837.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 36

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying out my first SPS as well. Cheers Sharkbait!! You may also consider researching Pavona and Pocilloporas (which many folks would say can easily be part of your first corals, forget first SPS) ... Green Slimers are Acros - which are sensitive corals as a species (based on my past experiences)

Again, I am in the same boat as you w.r.t. SPS, and am only suggesting a research for your consideration.

I would avoid pocillipora (especially the neon green one) for the reasons others have mentioned. Beautiful coral but can rapidly take over a tank. They are the Xenia of the SPS world.
Duncans are super underrated IMO.
I agree! I lost this one a couple of years ago and have never found another like it (anyone out there that can help?). It had bright green "skin" and pure purple polyps (no green in the polyps at all).

Duncan purple (1 of 1).jpg

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many Reefers LOVE it and many Reefers HATE it but my vote goes to GSP (Green Star Polyps)
Yes they can be very invasive but you have to admit, a back wall, tank bottom, or even a rock island covered with GSP and waving in the current is a beautiful thing.

Absolutely GSP! My holy nuclear grafted GSP MP40 looks amazing to me.
PXL_20210422_203324811.jpg

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I'm too knew to really answer this question, but I ordered a bunch of inexpensive Zoas and I've read they're pretty hardy. Guess I'll find out when they arrive!

Blenny&Co.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clove polyps for me. There are plenty of varieties, it grows insanely quick, and its hardy to boot. Polyps usually are pretty cheap too.

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid pocillipora (especially the neon green one) for the reasons others have mentioned. Beautiful coral but can rapidly take over a tank. They are the Xenia of the SPS world.

I agree! I lost this one a couple of years ago and have never found another like it (anyone out there that can help?). It had bright green "skin" and pure purple polyps (no green in the polyps at all).

Duncan purple (1 of 1).jpg
Thank you sir. Sounds painful. Unfortunately i have already pulled the trigger, and it does sound like a hardy SPS - which is kinda what I am looking for at this stage. Totally understand that it may become a pest later, at which time i am hoping to be able to honorably discharge it to the calcium reactor. :p

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much all subjective categories. I like my GSP and most any zoas, frogspawn, torches … I like the swaying with currents.
Pretty - you must have thought it pretty (at least at one time) IF you have it in your tank
Hardy/fast growing - result of your efforts to keep it thriving
Inexpensive - If you can swing it financially and it makes you happy … you are probably going to buy it … can you really put a price on happiness?!? :rolleyes:
That's a dangerous statement that has been used by my wife multiple times."You can't put a price on happiness. If that coral makes you happy, then you should go ahead and get it". I don't think my wife knows what she's saying!

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, they exist in plentiful quantities....but then online coral sellers see they are wanted and jack the prices up ridiculously!

I'm amazed that people put up with the prices for coral...especially on a commodity that regrows itself and can be unlimited in quantity over time!
I see small Xenia for $25. If only people knew that most of us with Xenia would be happy to give it away for free.

Eckertsreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with GSP. To me it meets all of those requirements. It was the coral that got me interested in corals.
Now if only it didn't grow and take over everything, although I think a tank completely covered in GSP would look cool.
Ive thought about doing that myself let the gren beasts take over a tank. of course I’ve only been saying that since 95 or so. Lol

Eckertsreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most awesome and cheap corals for years have been any that i have gotten from my fello reefers. I have cherished every piece of coral I’ve ever received or paid for from acquaintances of course this comes from a very big addict. So take with grain of salt. lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back