A Hardy, Fast Growing, Pretty & Inexpensive Coral...Does it exist?

A Hardy, Fast Growing, Pretty & Inexpensive Coral...Does it exist?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 309 73.9%
  • NO

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 86 20.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a good toadstool. They will grow nicely, tolerate a lot and can be found at decent prices. However, my bright orange clove polys are great. My first thought was my blue xenia, but someone already mentioned it. Toadstool too, but it is still one of my favs. Hoping to see my stereonepthya growing soon to add. Those are not on the cheap side though.

Oh, my japanese tree is a beaut too. So much so, I have two others slightly different colors.

Well, crap, what is cheap? Also, I think I was suppose to stick to one. Pavona for sps people, frogspawn for lps, softies have more choices in general.

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a good toadstool. They will grow nicely, tolerate a lot and can be found at decent prices. However, my bright orange clove polys are great. My first thought was my blue xenia, but someone already mentioned it. Toadstool too, but it is still one of my favs. Hoping to see my stereonepthya growing soon to add. Those are not on the cheap side though.

Oh, my japanese tree is a beaut too. So much so, I have two others slightly different colors.

Well, crap, what is cheap? Also, I think I was suppose to stick to one. Pavona for sps people, frogspawn for lps, softies have more choices in general.
Is the Biota Mountain Dew Toadstool easy to keep? I ordered zoas as my first coral and thought about grabbing on for my clowns.

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many Reefers LOVE it and many Reefers HATE it but my vote goes to GSP (Green Star Polyps)
Yes they can be very invasive but you have to admit, a back wall, tank bottom, or even a rock island covered with GSP and waving in the current is a beautiful thing.
Dude, you said it in your description, Invasive! I am almost positive that the author of the survey didn't mean to include Invasive in the list. I think what the point is to find some amazing looking, lower priced, faster growing corals that aren't Invasive either.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool and cabbage leathers. 1st corals I started with and still growing (and fragging)

Attachments

• 61B1BE64-86BC-4E2A-A3EF-429B66DAF7D7.jpeg
    61B1BE64-86BC-4E2A-A3EF-429B66DAF7D7.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 53
  • CB9C44C5-FE0C-4147-BE61-C66590C96D66.jpeg
    CB9C44C5-FE0C-4147-BE61-C66590C96D66.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 42

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the most awesome and cheap corals for years have been any that i have gotten from my fello reefers. I have cherished every piece of coral I’ve ever received or paid for from acquaintances of course this comes from a very big addict. So take with grain of salt. lol
Have to agree with this 100%, some of the best corals I put in my tank are from fellow reefers who put that extra care and attention to the health of them and aren't looking to pay for college or are happy to trade.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke down my 90 gallon in around 2012 :)
They were starting to show up more when I got out, but were still not 'common' yet.
That's right about when I broke mine down to. Maybe I just imagined they were common then.....

These new prices on Duncans are sweet though.. They were money back then.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically, all cheap corals will be fast growing. It's cheap because it grows fast, supply >> demand. That doesn't really have necessary correlation to how it looks.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive thought about doing that myself let the gren beasts take over a tank. of course I’ve only been saying that since 95 or so. Lol
I'm not much for build threads but I might do one on my little tank of horrors. Had a nano tank sitting around decided to put out the call for free frags of all the crazy stuff.

Xenia
GSP
Kenya Tree
Yellow polyps

I need to figure out the aquascaping but I bet it's going to fill out quickly. Maybe need some blue shrooms too.

Melanie D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most basic mushrooms are inexpensive and fast growing in my opnion. I have them all over my tank! Fast multipliers. Kenya tree as well I think it's fast growing and inexpensive. Pulsing xenia is also good but didn't seem to do well in my tank not sure why‍♀️

vpoiu1263

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know what the id of it, but it's one of the nice colour and inexpensive among the sps in my tank.
I have kh spike several times but it's still stand there and growing and never stop.
IMG_20210304_180403.jpg

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas would have to be my top dog in this fight.

The amount of color variety is by far larger than any other coral.

Majority are inexpensive and majority grow fast and take over.

These golden variety have grown the fastest in my tank, someone here will know the name hahah

20210417_111726.jpg
20210417_111733.jpg

Totally agree!

Many zoas that were previously pretty expensive cost a penny these days. Love the shown garden.

Some previously expensive and pretty inexpensive these days:

- Utter chaos
- Rastas
- Pandora (grows like hell)
- Laffy taffy (this one I do not recall ever being expensive)

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walt Disney, its the hardiest coral in my tank, the fastest grower in my tank, and I bought it at a frag swap for less than $100.

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any zoa under $70 will do well. For whatever reason like acros more expensive designer stuff tends to be pretty *****. I love acans and blastos but they don’t grow fast and the pretty acans are costly.

kenjitan528

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will vote for Zoa and Golden Clove. It cover whole rock and eye catching

Attachments

• 3C919E83-D380-46BF-A398-668055F6288E.jpeg
    3C919E83-D380-46BF-A398-668055F6288E.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 40

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree!

Many zoas that were previously pretty expensive cost a penny these days. Love the shown garden.

Some previously expensive and pretty inexpensive these days:

- Utter chaos
- Rastas
- Pandora (grows like hell)
- Laffy taffy (this one I do not recall ever being expensive)
Blood shots are a good one too. Miami vice can also be decent in terms of cost.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this even a serious question? I can think of half a dozen off the top of my head...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back