A Hardy, Fast Growing, Pretty & Inexpensive Coral...Does it exist?

• Yes (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 309 73.9%
  • NO

Votes: 22 5.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 86 20.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue staghorn

58A9E0EA-134C-4D0A-9EF0-F5F9ADF488D9.jpeg

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to go fish only. But then I saw some tanks and discovered that some of the creatures I noticed first were things that [met this criteria] right off the bat for me like:

* sarcophyton
* pachyclavularia
* duncanopsammia
* zoanthids
* mushrooms (rhodactis in particular)

Quite literally a whole new world opened up because of these budget friendly, attractive, and hardy creatures. Perhaps basic, but they still are a pleasure to observe.

I decided I would try corals because of them and am so glad I did. Now my eyes are open to other creatures like:

* goniopora
* euphyllia
* cynarina
* trachyphyllia
* acanthophyllia

7575CC16-202C-4963-A0EE-3407B49F0019.jpeg EE3B474C-D80B-4735-B2A3-936B9E72B9A6.jpeg 9CA38D49-AD23-4067-BF52-913B269494CC.jpeg 6C1BFE6B-3949-4840-9CE4-BD40C2CB278A.jpeg a bounce mushroom, and some spendy butt goni?? Not that I wouldn't love both of those. I think you could get by with the dunkan, however those can be touchy with swings. The torch is a winner but again depending on where you get one they can be spendy. Other than those zoas and maybe the gsp, not sure you can count the rest for this question.

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tubipora musica! (Pipe Organ)
My colony is fist sized and I think its my favorite piece in the tank at the moment.

It grows quick, is easy to frag, hardy, cheap, does not really have any preferences to flow (it grew fine in both high and low flow / light etc.

Perfect answer to this thread!

Day:

Night:

Night 60 fps

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Purple stylo grows crazy fast for me

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of of the monti very fast for a sps and rivals some lps.
Duncans are a fast grower

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this question a pipe dream? I don't think so but the better question is how rare is this coral combo and more importantly which corals should we be looking for? But then again if it's rare then it must be expensive right? This is turning into something more like a rabbit hole! HA! Nevertheless let's see what you all have up your sleeve. And of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some corals do better in other people's tanks. With that in mind let's try it anyway!

What coral would you say is Hardy, Fast Growing, Pretty and Inexpensive? (must meet all the criteria)

coral dreaming.jpg
I would have to say GSP WWC has several soft corals very cheap

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many Reefers LOVE it and many Reefers HATE it but my vote goes to GSP (Green Star Polyps)
Yes they can be very invasive but you have to admit, a back wall, tank bottom, or even a rock island covered with GSP and waving in the current is a beautiful thing.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I'm sure there are some who find Kenya Tree pretty. I know in talking to an LFS owner a number of years ago, I asked why he didn't have any Kenya Tree. He told me he couldn't keep it in stock....it quickly sold out. So folks are looking for, and buying, inexpensive corals which some might consider pest-like.

I agree with @Mike from TN and @fachatga , I always liked my GSP, watching it wave back and forth in the motion of the tank, and I'm also not a "name-freak" when it comes to buying corals. There are many no-name corals for very little that, by my eye, are beautiful. I just like to watch them grow.
I too like the Kenya Tree and plan on having one. I am doing an all softie tank because they are not very common nowadays and I really love and enjoy softies.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good discussion to get going again!

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A recent favorite of mine is Blue Solomon Tree. Like a little blue Christmas tree

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon green nepthea is a stunner and fast growing

If you run a whiter tank the often over looked purple digi is decent grower and inexpensive. $10 frag. That's the price I paid 5 months ago.

I agree that Duncans are a faster growing lps. It's also a lot of fun to feed.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many Reefers LOVE it and many Reefers HATE it but my vote goes to GSP (Green Star Polyps)
Yes they can be very invasive but you have to admit, a back wall, tank bottom, or even a rock island covered with GSP and waving in the current is a beautiful thing.
That is my vote also.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back