A Huge Problem IMO as to why tanks crash and we have so many problems with just about everything.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I hear Paul B saying is that we should strive towards balance and the natural order of things. His opinion on "too clean" reef tanks is that they are out-of-balance: chemical treatments create an unnatural imbalance. While chemicals may achieve short-term desired results, the long-term results are usually worse and take more effort (time and/or money) to combat. I'm sure Paul B has excellent nutrient export, but it is likely more natural (such as macro algae) instead of non-natural (NoPox, GFO). He also stated that he believes disease is natural and has natural enemies: again, a natural balance.

It seems to me that people are in too much of a hurry these days. There are no instant, pop-up. from-scratch mixed-reef tanks that are immediately successful. I'd venture that successful reef tanks are grown over time (layer upon layer), not forced into existence using artificial means.

If Paul B did sell some "Miracle Mud", I'd likely order some, too!

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um, what about us Air Force and Navy lads?

Coast Guard doesn't count :D.
I don't know about you but all I remember about Air Force basic training is how to fold your shirts into a perfect squares with each layer resembling pages in a closed book. That's where we got the attention to detail.

U

User1

View Badges
I don't know about you but all I remember about Air Force basic training is how to fold your shirts into a perfect squares with each layer resembling pages in a closed book. That's where we got the attention to detail.

Lol. Yeah, and snug bed sheets. Oh, and cleaning.

Looking back it wasn't as difficult as the Marines, Navy, and Army for sure. But it does teach discipline and team work, right?

JulianHuntToronto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not the smartest fish keeper in the world, but I am probably one of the oldest. Being one of the oldest, I have also had more time to study this stuff and more time to make mistakes. Mistakes are one way we learn. A very good way.

It's actually how they train you in basic training in the Army or Marines. By forcing you to do impossible tasks, knowing you can't do them, then punishing you for not doing it correctly. Eventually, you learn what they want you to do while never completing those tasks correctly.

Trust me, it works.

I was a Noob at one time and that time was the 1950s, yes the world as we know it was around then and so were fish. We had the same problems then as we do now but a few of us learned, after many dead fish what we were doing wrong and I think I got it.

Most people in this hobby do something and it works, and they think they found the secret, but we may be talking about a time frame of a few months or a couple of years. A common hermit crab lives over 12 years so if we keep one for a couple of years, it is not "Great Success". To have a reef tank for four or five years without crashing, although is an accomplishment that few people ever attain is also not a Great Success and we should strive for more. We should always strive for more.

IMO a reef tank should be immortal or "live" as long as it's owner. Of course fish are not immortal, but most of them live much longer than people stay in this hobby.

Corals are immortal and can keep living while growing new polyps on top of older ones. That’s how reefs grow.

I feel the biggest mistake we make (and us Geezers who started this hobby are the cause) is keeping our tanks to clean.

Our gravel or sand is to clean, and our food is to clean and our water is to clean.

I will get to clean water later as it even sounds weird to me.

Fish, birds, whales, lizzards, earthworms, Liberals, Conservatives and us all have a symbiotic relationship with bacteria, viruses and parasites.

Viruses, bacteria and parasites have been here longer than us and will be here when we all go to Mars because this planet has nothing left but plastic.

In a tank, any tank, except a quarantined or medicated tank, bacteria run everything. We forget about them, but it is the bacteria that call the shots, not us.

Bacteria have their own problems as viruses also affect and kill them. Bacteria hate that.

Parasites are also infected by bacteria and viruses.

Probably funguses also, but I am guessing.

Anyway, we call those things “disease organisms” because they can make us sick, but we forget that without them, we couldn’t live.

Our stomach is loaded with both beneficial and harmful bacteria. They live in harmony along with the funguses and viruses. Seawater is loaded with all of those things and that is natural and the way it should be.

We have problems when we mess with that system. If we kill bacteria, the viruses can take over as can the parasites.

If we for instance use copper, we will kill the parasites and bacteria, but not the viruses.

We really can’t kill the viruses (as Covid 19 taught us) because viruses are not alive to start with but we can disintegrate them using UV light or ozone.

So if we kill one of the pathogens, we allow the remaining ones to thrive and cause problems.

We can of course kill everything by using drugs along with UV and Ozone but should we?

It sounds like a good plan but have you seen anyone who just had Chemo and radiation to kill cancer?

Those people have no immunity to anything and although they are kept in a sterile environment, many of them die anyway because we can’t live like that in the real world.

Neither can fish.

In some cases we do have to resort to that drastic measure and sometimes it works. But not usually and it could take years for that fish to regain its compliment of stomach flora where it could live a normal life free from disease with a functioning immune system.

The problem with killing everything is of course that the bacteria, parasites and viruses will all infect the fish at different times and whichever comes first can overwhelm the fishes immune system because those things no longer are living in harmony where they can all keep each other in check.

In nature none of those pathogens get the upper hand because they evolved to counteract each other.

If we disrupt the cycle, we cause problems and tank crashes.

I propose, and it has worked for decades for me and other successful aquarists with long lasting reefs, that instead of trying to limit or eliminate natural pathogens leaving the fish open to disease, we cultivate those things, "in proportion" with each other leaving the fish with a strong immune system that it evolved with.

Remember, in the sea the fish are living with every aquatic disease there is with no problem. They only have problems after they are collected, shipped and put in our tanks.

There is no reason for them to have problems as my fish realize including my almost 30 year olds.

I know many, or all the fish we buy don’t look very good and are all infected with something. But remember, they are “always” infected with something because fish eat and breathe pathogens as they live. In the sea their immune system has no problems dealing with those afflictions because the fish is not stressed and is eating there natural food which is loaded with bacteria.

It’s the pathogens that tell the fishes immune system what method to use to eradicate that organism.

Remember in the sea fish normally eat living prey. They rarely eat sterile pellets, flakes or freeze dried anything. The prey they eat is always loaded with bacteria, parasites and viruses in the same proportions as are already in the fishes gut. Fish and us can’t digest food without bacteria which is the reason so many fish die while being medicated with copper or other drugs. It kills their stomach bacteria. It’s simple.

I mentioned before that our water is to clean and that may sound counterproductive because coral reefs are thought to be pristine. But the difference in water from a coral reef and our tanks is that the water on a coral reef has been there long before Betty White was born and many of our tanks were started a week from last Tuesday. Seawater actually gets better with age, to an extent.

If new, clean seawater was so good, why do new tanks look lousy? Why do new tanks, with all new water have so many diseases? Why do Noobs lose so many fish?

It’s because bacteria, viruses, corals, seaweed, rocks, meteorites, shipwrecks, whales and waste water from frankfurter carts in New York City all end up in the sea and all of those things are what fish evolved in. OK, maybe not the frankfurter carts. But it takes time for those organisms to reach a point where they are in sync with each other and none of them out weigh or out perform each other.

I was also under the impression that we needed to keep everything sterile. I wouldn’t think to put my hands in the tank without rinsing many times to get every trace of soap off.

I tried very hard to keep dirt out of my tank and vacuumed up every last bit of un eaten food.

I was wrong.

Now I take mud from a salt water bay and throw it in. I take garden soil (without pesticides) and throw it in. I feed earthworms full of dirt. I feed clams, mussels and whiteworms with as much dirt attached as I can find.

I never quarantine or medicate unless I purposely buy a very sick fish that I know will not live through the night and I experiment with questionable results.

I never worry if a fish I buy is in the same tank as fish with spots.

What I do is take that fish home as soon as I can and after a short acclimation, place it in my tank and try to get natural food into it. Natural food with living bacteria in it which is not usually commercially purchased food.

That food is deep frozen or irradiated to kill bacteria. I do use that food but I always supplement it with the foods I mentioned because without fresh, living bacteria, fish will always be at risk of dying from just about anything.

If you don’t believe any of this, go and watch Oprah give away Cadillacs to stray cats.

I have MS but still dive and love my tank. Do I get a copy for free ? :)

Fidmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not the smartest fish keeper in the world, but I am probably one of the oldest. Being one of the oldest, I have also had more time to study this stuff and more time to make mistakes. Mistakes are one way we learn. A very good way.

It's actually how they train you in basic training in the Army or Marines. By forcing you to do impossible tasks, knowing you can't do them, then punishing you for not doing it correctly. Eventually, you learn what they want you to do while never completing those tasks correctly.

Trust me, it works.

I was a Noob at one time and that time was the 1950s, yes the world as we know it was around then and so were fish. We had the same problems then as we do now but a few of us learned, after many dead fish what we were doing wrong and I think I got it.

Most people in this hobby do something and it works, and they think they found the secret, but we may be talking about a time frame of a few months or a couple of years. A common hermit crab lives over 12 years so if we keep one for a couple of years, it is not "Great Success". To have a reef tank for four or five years without crashing, although is an accomplishment that few people ever attain is also not a Great Success and we should strive for more. We should always strive for more.

IMO a reef tank should be immortal or "live" as long as it's owner. Of course fish are not immortal, but most of them live much longer than people stay in this hobby.

Corals are immortal and can keep living while growing new polyps on top of older ones. That’s how reefs grow.

I feel the biggest mistake we make (and us Geezers who started this hobby are the cause) is keeping our tanks to clean.

Our gravel or sand is to clean, and our food is to clean and our water is to clean.

Fish, birds, whales, lizzards, earthworms, Liberals, Conservatives and us all have a symbiotic relationship with bacteria, viruses and parasites.

Viruses, bacteria and parasites have been here longer than us and will be here when we all go to Mars because this planet has nothing left but plastic.

In a tank, any tank, except a quarantined or medicated tank, bacteria run everything. We forget about them, but it is the bacteria that call the shots, not us.

Bacteria have their own problems as viruses also affect and kill them. Bacteria hate that.

Anyway, we call those things “disease organisms” because they can make us sick, but we forget that without them, we couldn’t live.

Our stomach is loaded with both beneficial and harmful bacteria. They live in harmony along with the funguses and viruses. Seawater is loaded with all of those things and that is natural and the way it should be.

We have problems when we mess with that system. If we kill bacteria, the viruses can take over as can the parasites.

If we for instance use copper, we will kill the parasites and bacteria, but not the viruses.

We really can’t kill the viruses (as Covid 19 taught us) because viruses are not alive to start with but we can disintegrate them using UV light or ozone.

So if we kill one of the pathogens, we allow the remaining ones to thrive and cause problems.

We can of course kill everything by using drugs along with UV and Ozone but should we?

It sounds like a good plan but have you seen anyone who just had Chemo and radiation to kill cancer?

Those people have no immunity to anything and although they are kept in a sterile environment, many of them die anyway because we can’t live like that in the real world.

Neither can fish.

In some cases we do have to resort to that drastic measure and sometimes it works. But not usually and it could take years for that fish to regain its compliment of stomach flora where it could live a normal life free from disease with a functioning immune system.

The problem with killing everything is of course that the bacteria, parasites and viruses will all infect the fish at different times and whichever comes first can overwhelm the fishes immune system because those things no longer are living in harmony where they can all keep each other in check.

In nature none of those pathogens get the upper hand because they evolved to counteract each other.

I propose, and it has worked for decades for me and other successful aquarists with long lasting reefs, that instead of trying to limit or eliminate natural pathogens leaving the fish open to disease, we cultivate those things, "in proportion" with each other leaving the fish with a strong immune system that it evolved with.

Remember, in the sea the fish are living with every aquatic disease there is with no problem. They only have problems after they are collected, shipped and put in our tanks.

There is no reason for them to have problems as my fish realize including my almost 30 year olds.

I know many, or all the fish we buy don’t look very good and are all infected with something. But remember, they are “always” infected with something because fish eat and breathe pathogens as they live. In the sea their immune system has no problems dealing with those afflictions because the fish is not stressed and is eating there natural food which is loaded with bacteria.

It’s the pathogens that tell the fishes immune system what method to use to eradicate that organism.

Remember in the sea fish normally eat living prey. They rarely eat sterile pellets, flakes or freeze dried anything. The prey they eat is always loaded with bacteria, parasites and viruses in the same proportions as are already in the fishes gut. Fish and us can’t digest food without bacteria which is the reason so many fish die while being medicated with copper or other drugs. It kills their stomach bacteria. It’s simple.

I mentioned before that our water is to clean and that may sound counterproductive because coral reefs are thought to be pristine. But the difference in water from a coral reef and our tanks is that the water on a coral reef has been there long before Betty White was born and many of our tanks were started a week from last Tuesday. Seawater actually gets better with age, to an extent.

If new, clean seawater was so good, why do new tanks look lousy? Why do new tanks, with all new water have so many diseases? Why do Noobs lose so many fish?

It’s because bacteria, viruses, corals, seaweed, rocks, meteorites, shipwrecks, whales and waste water from frankfurter carts in New York City all end up in the sea and all of those things are what fish evolved in. OK, maybe not the frankfurter carts. But it takes time for those organisms to reach a point where they are in sync with each other and none of them out weigh or out perform each other.

I was also under the impression that we needed to keep everything sterile. I wouldn’t think to put my hands in the tank without rinsing many times to get every trace of soap off.

I tried very hard to keep dirt out of my tank and vacuumed up every last bit of un eaten food.

I was wrong.

Now I take mud from a salt water bay and throw it in. I take garden soil (without pesticides) and throw it in. I feed earthworms full of dirt. I feed clams, mussels and whiteworms with as much dirt attached as I can find.

I never quarantine or medicate unless I purposely buy a very sick fish that I know will not live through the night and I experiment with questionable results.

What I do is take that fish home as soon as I can and after a short acclimation, place it in my tank and try to get natural food into it. Natural food with living bacteria in it which is not usually commercially purchased food.

That food is deep frozen or irradiated to kill bacteria. I do use that food but I always supplement it with the foods I mentioned because without fresh, living bacteria, fish will always be at risk of dying from just about anything.

If you don’t believe any of this, go and watch Oprah give away Cadillacs to stray cats.

Fidmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trust me, it works.

Neither can fish.

I was wrong.

Excellent information.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So jealous that you can just go to the ocean in your back yard and grab a bag of goodies. I live nowhere near an ocean, so I have to pay to have mud and pods and macro fauna shipped to me. I should probably do so more often, since I firmly believe biodiversity is the key to keeping a successful reef. But cost usually pushes the expenses towards the pretty stuff, instead of the mundane and barely visible stuff.

markfmvl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed this article. I got into the ecosystem pond concept through the pond guy Greg whittstock. I have kept zebra danios in a small pond in the summer and found that them being in there all summer eating only what grew in the pond extended their stated life expectancy by about double. I like the idea of an ecosystem reef as well and trying to accomplish that with my tanks, however things happen. had a large fish die unnoticed (engineer blenny) causing a tank crash. the ammonia spike so devastated the system and my attempts to help it recover were slow and frustrating. had an algae of some type , a gelatinous masses that were apparently toxic to snails. But I did learn that the red planaria eat it and that coupled with periodic removal has gotten me to the point of having snails in my clean up crew again. then there was the other system which suffered a case of STN which took out all my sticks . havnt completely figured that one yet as some of my remaining corals are struggling, while others, like the duncans are thriving. The learning is good but some times tough to take.

Reef GE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, what do you do for “quarantine”? and things line ich? You mentioned not using chmicals and stating away from quarantine. I think you are right...but as a fairly new reefer, how should I handle new additions of livestock in order to minimize importing parasites into my tank. You said your fish haven’t died of infectious disease since Reagan...what do you do when you get a new fish, see ich, etc?

This was the first time I’ve read your thread and I will be following. You may have answered my questions in other threads...please send link if so.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing while I am waiting for my dentist to wake up.
Fish poop in the water constantly. Poop is basically bacteria and it is the very bacteria that fish need as it was just digesting food in their gut. They even eat it. ;Yuck

When we treat water, we also kill that and that is not in new ASW.
We would get sick or maybe die on it, but most of us are not fish. That stuff is recycled in a tank and it helps fish keep the proper envirnment in their stomach.

We humans are now experimenting with transferring poop from healthy people to sick people.

I didn't make that up.
And human vomit. Seems that if you swallow salt water you make fish food. I learned that in the PI

otyrrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a great read. I totally agree on the issues w/ quarantine. I haven't had a crash from sick fish yet. But I just can't imagine a month long quarantine is good for the fish we get.

otyrrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a great read. I totally agree on the issues w/ quarantine. I haven't had a crash from sick fish yet. But I just can't imagine a month long quarantine is good for the fish we get.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate the read...

Very similar advice I received 15 years ago from an old school reefer who owned an LFS back at my hometown when I was a kid. Dirty tank isnt always a bad tank. Making it like a real reef... just like the OLD lice rock you could get 10 years ago.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I somewhat agree. My big thing for longevity, though, is a good and natural start up and the ability to choose the set-up and let it be. No bacterial miracles, no wonder products, just let nature stabilize for 6 to 8 weeks and go slow in adding fish stock. Don't keep adding hardware and changing flow or lighting, etc. Stability. I believe the rush to get it filled leaves people spending the rest of the tank's lifespan dealing with that error and it get worse by constant adjusting. But, I don't believe in adding questionable filth. I once placed some discasomas that carried something that wiped out all my discasomas.
Mark

Aliyanna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul, I like your post but I disagree in one point.
We learn from mistakes, yes, but I don't think that this is good if it is on cost of the lives of beings. No matter if it is a fish or dog or whatever.
We have to learn then, of course, but in my opinion it is better to learn from mistakes from other, wiser poeople to not doing the same mistakes.
I handle my tank the same way as my children years ago. A clean child is a sick child. So a clean tank must be a sick tank. We aren't in this hobby for so many years and we did mistakes and lost fishes, most of them because we did things we learned from books. As we stopped and began to think about nature and natural life, things went good.
Today everyone wants to have dead stones or artifical stones with no bacteria and I am really sad about that. No nearly natural environment for the animals in our tank can't be good.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely u see stand your logic, but what works for one reefer may not for others. So far me personally have had good luck with a qt period for all fish that come in. I have not had any of my fish that are in my display show signs of any disease illness. Good write up and thank you for you insight on your experiences throughout your time!!

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading Paul Bs posts for years and am in agreement with much of what he recommends. I too am an old reefer (35 years). I can honestly say I have never had a tank crash. My current tank has been running for 6 years without problems. I rarely test parameters and even more rarely do water changes. I tend to observe the inhabitants of my tank and only respond to changes I see. I believe that one of the problems many hobbyists have is doing too much testing and then immediately making changes based on test results. This destroys the stability of our tanks. I also believe in feeding a wide variety of foods. I only have limited access to live foods. I use a wide variety of high quality frozen foods supplemented by frozen clams and homemade mixes. I do not use flake foods. I do not worry about over feeding.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back