OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So good with the bad, I thought I would update everyone on my fish for the 210. I had a orange shoulder tang, three squareback anthias in my tank doing well for over a month and then boom one morning saw one anthias was dead. By then end of the night the other 2 were gone also and my orange shoulder was really huffing/ struggling to breathe it looked like. Took him out immediately and put him in my refugium. Thank God he's doing okay now. It's been a couple weeks in there. All I can think at this point is I didn't have enough flow and maybe the water wasn't getting purified enough or getting enough turnover since my pump couldn't keep up running everything? I had 2 - mp60's for tank turnover ripping. I've since added another jeboa dcp15000 to solely supply the 210, now turn over is crazy. Haven't put any fish back in though. Also I bought a Quoyi Parrotfish and had in QT for ten days doing good swimming around but would never see him eat. Tried tons of food, live black worms, tdo pellets, algea max, masstick, garlic flavoring to food, sheets of nori, Rod's food and nothing worked from what could tell. I think once I'm certain my 210 is doing good I'll buy one from NY aquatics as they say their fish are eating before shipping and try again. Really love the colors of this fish! Anyways hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update, got a generator from my parents for our wedding and finally got around to wiring a plug up from my breaker box to the back of my house. My buddy is an electrician, he came over helped me get it all setup. Other than that, a reefing friend of mine has a Powder Blue tang in qt for me, should be ready soon. Interested to see how this, the orange shoulder and the Chocolate Mimic Tang do together in the 210. Other than that, everything going good. My wife got me an Avast Marine Kalk reactor, have it hooked up to my DOS. Had to drop my calcium reactor down but so far I love it! First time in a long time that my pH has gotten over 8.1!

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SCOP (Got this from a fellow MI Reefer @Biggestfish, great seller can't wait to watch this puppy grow, pic doesn't do it justice): 1.26.21

IMG_8597.JPG

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Everything has been going good on system. Bought a KGH Guardian, so getting everything around to start using that. Can't wait to watch how changes affect Alk. The 210 is getting some algae so trying to get a good size cleanup crew in there. Other than that everything is looking good. Attached a pic of my Orange shoulder tang. Since adding him on October 1st (pure yellow) to now his colors have really changed. Very happy with him.
IMG_8552[1].PNG
orange shoulder.JPG

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping for updates / pics. I will also be running Citizen Cobs for my lighting!
Sorry for not responding sooner. Had a very busy summer and at the beginning of summer started loosing SPS. Only thing low was Iodine, but by the time I got my ICP test back it was too late. Pretty much lost all my SPS besides a couple and then got Dinos. Cleaned out a lot of stuff and just getting past the dinos now. Starting to get over that crash depression now and getting that itch to start up again. Can't say enough good stuff about the lights. Haven't skipped a beat, no issues at all. Were growing all corals great up till crash. Hope they work good for you!

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not responding sooner. Had a very busy summer and at the beginning of summer started loosing SPS. Only thing low was Iodine, but by the time I got my ICP test back it was too late. Pretty much lost all my SPS besides a couple and then got Dinos. Cleaned out a lot of stuff and just getting past the dinos now. Starting to get over that crash depression now and getting that itch to start up again. Can't say enough good stuff about the lights. Haven't skipped a beat, no issues at all. Were growing all corals great up till crash. Hope they work good for you!
Sorry to hear about the losses abd hope you get back and running ASAP.

What were your other parameters before the crash?

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really remember what the parameters were. I know the two big things that came back as out were low iodine and high aluminum. Not sure if it was because of the Brightwell aquatics brick I used or not. Just finished up breaking this tank down and getting rid of it. Had too many tanks and going to condense everything into my 210 gallon. Will start a new build thread for that as it's just starting out. Wanted something bigger for fish going forward. I think I'm going to start the Moonshine reefers method with this new 210 so we will see what happens!

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really remember what the parameters were. I know the two big things that came back as out were low iodine and high aluminum. Not sure if it was because of the Brightwell aquatics brick I used or not. Just finished up breaking this tank down and getting rid of it. Had too many tanks and going to condense everything into my 210 gallon. Will start a new build thread for that as it's just starting out. Wanted something bigger for fish going forward. I think I'm going to start the Moonshine reefers method with this new 210 so we will see what happens!
Looking forward to the new build.

I'm a lazy reefer and have propably done 2 10pct water changes and tank just turned 1yr.

I'm looking to do an ICP test before I put in more sticks

OP
OP
ajjw0828

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to the new build.

I'm a lazy reefer and have propably done 2 10pct water changes and tank just turned 1yr.

I'm looking to do an ICP test before I put in more sticks
Thanks, me too. Takes awhile to get back into it after a crash and I'm finally feeling it again. Really want to get heavy into more fish this time. Following your build as well. Happy other people are having success with the DIY lights. They grow coral very well, super powerful and cheap compared to everything else. Not sure why more people don't do them.

JWsticks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, me too. Takes awhile to get back into it after a crash and I'm finally feeling it again. Really want to get heavy into more fish this time. Following your build as well. Happy other people are having success with the DIY lights. They grow coral very well, super powerful and cheap compared to everything else. Not sure why more people don't do them.
I'm running the lights at 30pct and get 500 par at the water line which is perfect for any type of reef.

It took my tank a long time to be able to keep LPS thriving and SPS alive and things stopped dying after the tank turned 1yr in Oct.

I would suggest to get some established rock from a friend and that should cut down on the headaches.

Back