A Lesson Learned

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even after years of fish keeping it surprises me that we could still make really stupid mistakes.
We are always weary of adding anything to our tank, don’t like to experiment with medications or even risk ‘fresh foods’ like clam etc.
I would like share this to prevent someone else suffering what we are at this moment.
we added some ‘high end’ nori purchased from an Asian store, simple, dried seaweed. We started experiencing mysterious happenings in our tank, even posted here for clues...our parameters were wonderful, especially for a fish only aquarium, spent the money, did the work, changed our socks every other day. Could not explain the severe murkiness in the water, at one point we thought the fish had ‘ich’, they were not normal, breathing funny, unexplainable things. The nori destroyed my tank. We pulled apart the tank, fish are doing better in their temporary tanks. We would’ve lost them no doubt within a week if we kept them in there. The pic shows a container that was dipped in the tank water and taken out.

FA8AF81D-0EAC-4F3B-AC75-A51D295C33D8.jpeg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even after years of fish keeping it surprises me that we could still make really stupid mistakes.
We are always weary of adding anything to our tank, don’t like to experiment with medications or even risk ‘fresh foods’ like clam etc.
I would like share this to prevent someone else suffering what we are at this moment.
we added some ‘high end’ nori purchased from an Asian store, simple, dried seaweed. We started experiencing mysterious happenings in our tank, even posted here for clues...our parameters were wonderful, especially for a fish only aquarium, spent the money, did the work, changed our socks every other day. Could not explain the severe murkiness in the water, at one point we thought the fish had ‘ich’, they were not normal, breathing funny, unexplainable things. The nori destroyed my tank. We pulled apart the tank, fish are doing better in their temporary tanks. We would’ve lost them no doubt within a week if we kept them in there. The pic shows a container that was dipped in the tank water and taken out.

FA8AF81D-0EAC-4F3B-AC75-A51D295C33D8.jpeg
Care to share the brand of Nori you used. I use store-bought nori and have not had any issue so it would be nice to know what brand is not compatible with reef tanks.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently copper sulfate is used as a perservative in alot of nori products. I found that out doing a tour of fundy dulse in nova scotia (where i live). Apparently even dried it doesnt have the best shelf life so they add preservatives.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently copper sulfate is used as a perservative in alot of nori products. I found that out doing a tour of fundy dulse in nova scotia (where i live). Apparently even dried it doesnt have the best shelf life so they add preservatives.
I don't think the copper is actually added as a preservative, algae bio-concentrates a number of elements from seawater, including iron, cadmium, copper, and in one species, arsenic.

Roasted nori should be avoided, I use dried nori specifically made for aquariums.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thanks for the reply

OP
OP
A

Aldebaran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the copper is actually added as a preservative, algae bio-concentrates a number of elements from seawater, including iron, cadmium, copper, and in one species, arsenic.

Roasted nori should be avoided, I use dried nori specifically made for aquariums.

Jay
Yes, that should be the only thing used, I was foolish

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back