A little copper and a whole lot of Zinc :(

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last month my Triton ICP test showed Copper: 8.846 µg/l and Zinc: 20 µg/l

I ran some DETOX. I also used magnets on an a pole to run through the display/sump for any metal pieces, but found nothing. I don't use hand lotions but thought perhaps the soap I use might be an issue. So I've become much more aware about washing and not putting my hands in the tank. But here are my results a month later:

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I've been having some Nitrate issues so I've already been doing several water changes over the last 4 weeks, (20% every 3-4 days) and I don't think contaminated salts are the issue as I switched from Red Sea Pro back to Tropic Marin and the Zinc results are the same. Triton suggests that contaminated trace elements could also be the issue... Could AcroPower be causing this? My only other thought is the Alkatronic "waste" but that seems pretty far fetched.

Any thought on where I should be looking?

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept getting zinc for about a year or so no matter what I did. It was gone after I got 0 TDS by installing DI resin onto my RO system, and I replaced my heaters to titanium heaters. I am not sure which one was the cause. But it was truly costly. I replaced nearly all equipment till I fixed it. The last ICP test indicated no zinc.

Now, I no longer use ICP test, but since my SPS corals stopped dying, I know my zinc issue is over. I recommend you to check your TDS, and if it's not zero, it could be the cause. My friend keeps SPS even with up to 0.03 TDS water, but every time I notice I was using 0.01 TDS water, my coral conditions get worse. So now I replace my DI resin before even getting to 0.01. Now, with scheduled DI replacement, my TDS is always zero, and SPS corals are happy. Every water is different by region or by plumbing system. Even with 0.01, it could be harmless 0.01 or 0.01 of a very bad substance. My friend got not so bad 0.03, but I got a very bad 0.01, I guess.

Also, I found someone in this forum replaced his heater to a titanium one, he said his zinc was gone. So I did the same. Hope it helps.

Yas

U

User1

View Badges
I've sent in a few tests using ATI and my results came back with high Zinc. I wasn't sure what it was and asked around. I'll have to go back and find the post but I think one thing that stood out was if I was using any hand lotion. Short answer was yes, I was. Thought maybe that could be it.

Another thing that was mentioned although not proven by any means was that I used liquid thread sealer on my pipes. I do not use Teflon tape and the brand Oatey's. Anyway maybe that was it.

Lastly - I'm not really sure what ended up causing it but it is still there to this day. I'll go back and get the reports to see if it went up or down after I started to use gloves more and clean up some of my messy plumbing :D

U

User1

View Badges
I kept getting zinc for about a year or so no matter what I did. It was gone after I got 0 TDS by installing DI resin onto my RO system, and I replaced my heaters to titanium heaters. I am not sure which one was the cause. But it was truly costly. I replaced nearly all equipment till I fixed it. The last ICP test indicated no zinc.

Now, I no longer use ICP test, but since my SPS corals stopped dying, I know my zinc issue is over. I recommend you to check your TDS, and if it's not zero, it could be the cause. My friend keeps SPS even with up to 0.03 TDS water, but every time I notice I was using 0.01 TDS water, my coral conditions get worse. So now I replace my DI resin before even getting to 0.01. Now, with scheduled DI replacement, my TDS is always zero, and SPS corals are happy. Every water is different by region or by plumbing system. Even with 0.01, it could be harmless 0.01 or 0.01 of a very bad substance. My friend got not so bad 0.03, but I got a very bad 0.01, I guess.

Also, I found someone in this forum replaced his heater to a titanium one, he said his zinc was gone. So I did the same. Hope it helps.

Yas

What heaters did you switch to if you don't mind me asking?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is hard to know what element levels are a concern, due to the different forms possibly present, that copper level is lower than my tank was when I tested it myself and I don’t think I had any issues from it.

Unless the tank is suffering in some apparent way, I would not go wild trying to lower them.

Yas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two pieces of Finnex HMA-150S for my 80G tank.

Some say it could be the glass of your tank. In the process of making glass, zinc is used, which could leach into your tank. I made a call to the tank manufacturer and they said it would be unlikely.

Others say it could be PVC pipe. I am not sure. Everyone uses it, but those who suffer zinc are limited.

I now believe it is highly likely the water plumbing of your home or public water supply. If you do a quick research on the Internet, you'll find many articles about leaching zinc, copper, lead, aluminum, etc. It is a very common known issue. And the amount of leaching differs from house to house or region to region. That's perhaps why someone's 0.03 TDS is safe and my 0.01 TDS was horrible for my corals because contents of substances differs. So, for those who suffer unwanted substances may want to obtain zero TDS first thing, I guess.

Yas

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two pieces of Finnex HMA-150S for my 80G tank.

Some say it could be the glass of your tank. In the process of making glass, zinc is used, which could leach into your tank. I made a call to the tank manufacturer and they said it would be unlikely.

Others say it could be PVC pipe. I am not sure. Everyone uses it, but those who suffer zinc are limited.

I now believe it is highly likely the water plumbing of your home or public water supply. If you do a quick research on the Internet, you'll find many articles about leaching zinc, copper, lead, aluminum, etc. It is a very common known issue. And the amount of leaching differs from house to house or region to region. That's perhaps why someone's 0.03 TDS is safe and my 0.01 TDS was horrible for my corals because contents of substances differs. So, for those who suffer unwanted substances may want to obtain zero TDS first thing, I guess.

Yas

The comments about glass and pvc usually relate to tin. Where have you see zinc as also potential from these?

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it is hard to know what element levels are a concern, due to the different forms possibly present, that copper level is lower than my tank was when I tested it myself and I don’t think I had any issues from it.

Unless the tank is suffering in some apparent way, I would not go wild trying to lower them.

I've had several corals die off, but since my Nitrates were getting away from me it's hard to narrow the issue down. Could be a combo I suppose

OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latest tests show it has lowered. Though, I did find what looks like rust on a couple old MP40 wetsides. The metal on these isn't coated with Zinc, is it?
1.JPG

2.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back