A little lost here help would be appreciated....

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home last night to see my six line wrasse who usually is gracefully hunting/swimming in and around the rock scape against the glass lost & swimming aimlessly.. There was immediately no doubt in my mind there is an issue as I've watched this fish for hours daily and he has been extremely active and healthy.

I managed to get him out and into a QT where he has continued to swim in a tight circle, lay on his side and even float upside down a couple times. He seems extremely lost.

He made it through the night. This morning I noticed a short period of time he was swimming but it was almost immediately followed by the same behavior he had the night before.

I put some food in the QT today and the wrasse ignored it for a few minutes (usually immediately eats) and then he stumbled across one piece and ate it and immediately started swimming franticly and curled back up in a corner. Didn't touch any other food. I waited about 30 minutes and removed the remaining until I can get a diagnoses.

A couple notes:

New Reef Tank - 1 month old
The wrasse has been in the DT since it started. Not a single issue with him till last night
Water Parameters have been optimal - no signs of any issues ( I check Salinity and Ammonia daily and PH, Alk, Nitrite/Nitrates weekly)
Temp in DT stays between 78-79 degrees
A week ago I found 1 of the "bad" isopods but no signs of anymore and no signs of them being on the fish
I introduced a Purple Tang about 1.5 weeks ago
I have noticed a white spec on the Tang that is gone one day and then back the next. 1 speck never more and moves around. I've seen it in 4 different places now. ****
Both fish have been eating Rods frozen mix food and Tang has Sea Veggies mixed into his diet.
The new tang has acted normal most of this time but yesterday and today (I may be over analyzing) has a fast twitch/jerk to him. Still feeding and swimming around. Currently no spots him.

****I only mention this because being new I don't know exactly what I am looking at/for. I do know how to google so I know what ICH looks like on a fish and I am having a hard time saying that this is ICH due to it never being more than one white dot.

I'm sure there is much more info I could provide if there are specific questions you guys need answered.

Ich or other parasites?
Bacterial infection?
Injured in the DT darting into a rock?
Swim bladder issue?
Fluke?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video or picture? The first two items on your diagnosis list are the most likely for the wrasse. I’m worried about the purple tang; without a preventative quarantine they frequently develop ich and/or flukes.
Jay

OP
OP
B

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video or picture? The first two items on your diagnosis list are the most likely for the wrasse. I’m worried about the purple tang; without a preventative quarantine they frequently develop ich and/or flukes.
Jay

The behavior here only last for 20-30 seconds and then he lays still for a long time just out of it.

OP
OP
B

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay

Here’s a pic of the blue tang. You will see the one white spec. Like I mentioned before he’s had that same size spec In other areas. Never more than 1 that I can see and never last more than a day or two.

Attachments

• 5EFB6BB3-A4FB-47CA-A1A4-0F47D4254562.jpeg
    5EFB6BB3-A4FB-47CA-A1A4-0F47D4254562.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 26

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the wrasse issue is neurological, I can’t tell you the cause or a possible treatment.
For the purple tang, ich can come and go at first, so be watchful, but that spot seems too large to have been ich.

Jay

Back