A little RFA love: Let’s see your favorite Rock Flowers

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier today, I took a few pictures of some of my favorite recent additions to my rock flower dominated 30g. I wanted to share them here, and hope that others will share some of their favorites, too

Let’s share some rock flower love today. Post some of your favorite RFAs!

5A40E5D4-9AE2-4E5F-BC71-C8EF7D98FF4E.jpeg

BD61263A-0A66-41EF-85F8-0E6CD4065518.jpeg

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have probably put 5 or 6 in my tank, but I can only see two of them. The rest of them decided to walk to the back of the tank. My favorite one that I put in is also out of sight :(
1652822808544.png
Oh wow that’s gorgeous , don’t worry my favorite rfa hides to

OP
OP
jkcoral

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love rfas !! You have quite the collection, if you can notice in pic under the big RFAs is a little baby , been finding all over tank

48048A88-5F1D-4095-8867-46346CAB083C.jpeg 735ABC72-1558-4B5F-B6F8-14A09B1DEF64.jpeg

Awe! That is awesome to be able to see some new ones popping up all over the tank. Back in the day I had a 20g that was completely overran by reproducing RFAs, it was such a great “problem” to have lol. But since I switched to running a bare bottom tank (and less dense rock work) I’ve seen significantly fewer. I’m jealous.

Those look like some big ones on the rock. Do you target feed?

OP
OP
jkcoral

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have probably put 5 or 6 in my tank, but I can only see two of them. The rest of them decided to walk to the back of the tank. My favorite one that I put in is also out of sight :(
1652822808544.png

Love that flower. And that is an incredible picture. What type of camera/settings do you use when taking photos? My iPhone never seems able to take ones as nice as that.

And yeah, I have a few of my “prize jewels” that I haven’t seen in a year after they moved to the backside of the rock work. It’s a bummer, but at least they are happy back there. I’ve actually had a RFA move *under* the rock for about two months, and it was just chilling there until appearing one day almost completely translucent. Sometimes they do weird things and I just wish I could understand why haha.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that flower. And that is an incredible picture. What type of camera/settings do you use when taking photos? My iPhone never seems able to take ones as nice as that.

And yeah, I have a few of my “prize jewels” that I haven’t seen in a year after they moved to the backside of the rock work. It’s a bummer, but at least they are happy back there. I’ve actually had a RFA move *under* the rock for about two months, and it was just chilling there until appearing one day almost completely translucent. Sometimes they do weird things and I just wish I could understand why haha.
I use a sony a6000 with the stock 16-50mm kit lens. I used some extension tubes for this shot, no orange filters as the lighting was pretty white.

OP
OP
jkcoral

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a sony a6000 with the stock 16-50mm kit lens. I used some extension tubes for this shot, no orange filters as the lighting was pretty white.

Thanks for the info. I’ve been looking at maybe getting a “real” camera or lenses recently. I’ll check these out.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love rock flowers! I'll never have a tank without them. It's surprising to me that they haven't taken off, and become the most popular invert in the hobby. The best part about them is that your average Joe can get them to spawn, and grow a massive garden from just two.

OP
OP
jkcoral

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love rock flowers! I'll never have a tank without them. It's surprising to me that they haven't taken off, and become the most popular invert in the hobby. The best part about them is that your average Joe can get them to spawn, and grow a massive garden from just two.

They are the best bang for the buck in terms of adding color to your tank. Easy to care for, and peaceful. More and more people are getting into them. I remember back about a decade ago they were really popular, then the hype died down as other anemones like maxi minis became the hot thing. Popularity is on the rise again, but I get worried that vendors will take advantage and we will start to see RFAs going for $100+ for “basic” ultras, let alone adding names to them lol.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the best bang for the buck in terms of adding color to your tank. Easy to care for, and peaceful. More and more people are getting into them. I remember back about a decade ago they were really popular, then the hype died down as other anemones like maxi minis became the hot thing. Popularity is on the rise again, but I get worried that vendors will take advantage and we will start to see RFAs going for $100+ for “basic” ultras, let alone adding names to them lol.
Yeah, artificial price increases are a problem. The good thing is that they can't be fragged, so I can't see there being named lineages or prices getting higher than about 100$. Also, the color of the parent anemones seems to have little affect on the color of the babies, so anyone with even cheap brown or green ones can potentially get a 5 color specimen.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awe! That is awesome to be able to see some new ones popping up all over the tank. Back in the day I had a 20g that was completely overran by reproducing RFAs, it was such a great “problem” to have lol. But since I switched to running a bare bottom tank (and less dense rock work) I’ve seen significantly fewer. I’m jealous.

Those look like some big ones on the rock. Do you target feed?
Thanks ! Yes I target feed the rfas , it’s got them to a huge size! I bought 3 initially and these two got fed , the third is almost the same size as I bought it due to not being target fed

OP
OP
jkcoral

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! Yes I target feed the rfas , it’s got them to a huge size! I bought 3 initially and these two got fed , the third is almost the same size as I bought it due to not being target fed

I target feed mine about twice a week. I’ve found that target feeding really puts the size on them for about a year before their growth levels off. I usually use meaty foods like mysis, but sometimes give them some reef roids or benepets because their reaction is so different!

What do you usually feed?

Here’s a picture of rock flowers eating reef roids, I think it’s funny how they puff up like balloons vs devouring response with meaty foods:

09EE7E4C-7F78-4626-A540-22190C535114.jpeg

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed mine about twice a week. I’ve found that target feeding really puts the size on them for about a year before their growth levels off. I usually use meaty foods like mysis, but sometimes give them some reef roids or benepets because their reaction is so different!

What do you usually feed?

Here’s a picture of rock flowers eating reef roids, I think it’s funny how they puff up like balloons vs devouring response with meaty foods:

09EE7E4C-7F78-4626-A540-22190C535114.jpeg
That’s good ! I aim for twice a week as well , their favorite meal of choice is selcon soaked mysis shrimp , all the anemones respond very well to it instant grab / eating response. I tried normal mysis and sometimes they don’t even register that it’s there , selcon was the trick for me. It’s hard to grasp how big my rfa are, here’s a fts and how big they were when I got them

Attachments

• C79004AC-1CA9-49EF-9B9B-C4DE8083682E.jpeg
    C79004AC-1CA9-49EF-9B9B-C4DE8083682E.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 40
  • A94F0A6B-1D14-4AB2-8C18-0D1D9674B2BD.jpeg
    A94F0A6B-1D14-4AB2-8C18-0D1D9674B2BD.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 38

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back