A lot of aggression from ocellaris clownfish! Advice needed

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,
I need help pairing ( or at least calming down) my clownfish.

To give some background:
a week ago I got 2 clowns ( from the same LFS, same tank, both ocellaris, one black, one orange).
After a lot of fighting (black one bullying orange), I isolated a black one in the breeder box. then overnight the orange one jumped out :(

I released the black one from the breeder box and went and got another orange.
Same thing
They were nice to each other for an hour or so, I even saw the orange one giving that "wiggle", but then the fighting started.
I isolated the black one for a day, then today tried again, this is how it looked:

I have since isolated the black one in the breeder box again. While in there the orange one is pretty calmly swimming next to the breeder box.

I'm not sure how to proceed. I know they fight to establish Sex, but this looks like way too much for me.
All advice is welcome. Thanks

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't think there's much you can do. They will keep at it until one is dead. I've tried and failed numerous times to pair clowns. One is best IMO. I have 4 anthias. One male and three females until one of the females started transitioning. They chase each other all day eventually one will be dead.
toilet GIF

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are similar to yours and haven't stopped
But they are together or isolated? For how is it going? What annoys me is that these clowns came from the same tank ,
And from what I’m seeing ( with my unexpected eye) is that orange one is clearly showing submission, but black one is acting like it’s coked up.
Another thing I noticed is that few days ago it used to be worst during feeding, if I even come close to the tank it would go crazy.
now being isolated it’s calming down a bit (not trying to punch through the breeder ) , I think there used to be a lot of fighting for food in LFS tank

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This black clown doesn’t like others. The white and orange morphs of clowns tend to be more peaceful and can’t handle the aggression from the black morphs.
As said, this will continue until separated or the male is dead.
I’d recommend trying a mate significantly smaller than the female to increase chances of submission.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This black clown doesn’t like others. The white and orange morphs of clowns tend to be more peaceful and can’t handle the aggression from the black morphs.
I’d recommend trying a mate significantly smaller than the female to increase chances of submission.
are you getting war flashbacks

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But the submission seems to be there. I saw the orange one giving that "wiggle" multiple times. Even now while black is in the breeder box the orange seems to be swimming next to it all the time (even in the feeding time it doesn't leave the breeder box side, it just kind of waits for the flow to bring food closer).

anyway, I am not giving up yet, my plan, for now, was to leave black in the breeder for 5 days, then try again.
if it doesn't work I'm not sure what to do next, should I put black in the breeder again or should I try the orange one?
do you think 5 days is a good amount or should I do more ( or less) ?
Thanks

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take the two fish back and exchange them for a small young pair.
This. My feeling is that they need to be babies, and one should be a bit obviously bigger than the other. Mine came in that way and matured and paired pretty seamlessly. They fight from time to time (as in she is aggressive towards him until he does the shakes and submits), but they’re inseparable. They’re both black, but the little guy has some orange on him around his face. Coming in as babies also allowed them to bond w/my blenny, and that whole group is peaceful w/one another.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. My feeling is that they need to be babies, and one should be a bit obviously bigger than the other. Mine came in that way and matured and paired pretty seamlessly. They fight from time to time (as in she is aggressive towards him until he does the shakes and submits), but they’re inseparable. They’re both black, but the little guy has some orange on him around his face. Coming in as babies also allowed them to bond w/my blenny, and that whole group is peaceful w/one another.
Hmm well they are not that big either . Guess I will try for couple of weeks, if nothing pans out I’ll Try and give the black one to someone. Besides that what would you suggest to try in pairing them?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm well they are not that big either . Guess I will try for couple of weeks, if nothing pans out I’ll Try and give the black one to someone. Besides that what would you suggest to try in pairing them?
There really isn’t anything you can do aside from let them work it out, or if the aggressor is seriously going to kill the other, take one back and swap for a much smaller one.

The best way to be set up for success is have one visibly bigger than the other. Yours look to be about the same size to me, unless I’m not seeing that correctly. And when I say mine were babies, they were literally babies — not yet fully mature, and the one that is now black wasn’t yet black. They matured together, and now they’re mature and paired.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they were in the same tank at the fish store but that tank had a lot of clowns in it what happens is that the aggression is split up among all of the fish so there is not just one fish getting bullied so you just don't see the aggression. Then when you separate out the 2 the one has just one fish to attack.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really isn’t anything you can do aside from let them work it out, or if the aggressor is seriously going to kill the other, take one back and swap for a much smaller one.

The best way to be set up for success is have one visibly bigger than the other. Yours look to be about the same size to me, unless I’m not seeing that correctly. And when I say mine were babies, they were literally babies — not yet fully mature, and the one that is now black wasn’t yet black. They matured together, and now they’re mature and paired.
The orange one is smaller (not a lot but visibly) , just I guess angles Al don’t show it that good. Black has been in breeder for 2 days now, orange one still swimming next to it all the time. Think I’ll try for another week or two , if it doesn’t work out I’ll just give away black one to some local reefer

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing you can do is buy 2 more small clowns. The aggression is now spread between 3 and the dominant (female) will pick a mate of the three. Sell or put the other 2 in another tank. Maybe the 2 will form a pair and sell them as a pair for more money. ;)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back