A lot of known people dont QUARANTINE!!!

page

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I am so so so confused. Should i quarantine or not? A lot of “famous” people on youtube like reef dork, inappropriate reefer, and fish of hex dont quarantine their fish and they have proof of how successful their reef tanks are.

Based on my experience I am an advocate of 1-4 months of quarantining your fish, because i have personally lost thousands and thousands of dollars after not quarantining before on my Fowlr and my nano reef years back.

Now once again I am seeing a lot of people not quarantining fish. I just started my new aquarium and I heard before that I should quarantine before putting it on my DT but what if there are 0 live stocks in there other than a quarantined sps and CUC.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have lost 1000s of dollars by not QT before then I think you know the answer. It’s not like the You tuber is going to pay you back when their method fails ;)

I don’t watch YouTube but it’s not like you are buying the fish from the same exact source as theirs. It’s also likely they have mature tanks which helps tons. Another thing to watch is their stock and tank volumes. I didn’t QT for 10 years and it was fairly easy to keep things like wrasse, clowns, zebra tangs, bristletooth, dwarf angels, and such.

Last edited:

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should do what you think you need to do to be successful.

I do not quarantine. That has no bearing on what you should do.

If you do quarantine each addition has to go through the process to protect the next addition.
If you drop the first fish into the DT then it isn't a quarantined tank anymore.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pluses and minuses to both approaches, and there isn't a "should" or a "shouldn't" to it. Whether some YouTube personalities do or don't quarantine is irrelevant to whether you choose to QT or not.

The choice to QT or not is a calculated risk. If you don't QT, you're basically relying on your sources to give you relatively clean fish, and on the health of your tank to give fish the environment they need to thrive and not succumb to diseases. That might include feeding heavier, providing special foods, or giving your fish some extra TLC. And of course, if all that fails, you could lose your entire population.

If you do QT, you're likely keeping the risk to your overall tank lower, but you might be spending time and money on something that isn't necessary. You also might stress out new arrivals more than is necessary, and you might lose fish in your QT that would have survived if you had put them into your DT straightaway.

There is no absolute wrong or right answer and it's always a choice you're going to have to make yourself, but statistically you're probably better off QT'ing than not.

willieboy240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly all those guys that you mentioned are noonish to the hobby. Unless you have 7+ years in the hobby. Your not going to see all the ups and downs with saltwater life in general. Plus the grass is always greener. Right.
that being said. I think 99% of us have ich. We just don’t know. It’s the hard core stuff that you want to stop in QT. Like velvet, brook etc. that will be the super Killer.
Also. If you got your fish from someone that’s had them for a while. The likelihood that they will live goes up. Than if they are just caught out of the ocean.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys I am so so so confused. Should i quarantine or not? A lot of “famous” people on youtube like reef dork, inappropriate reefer, and fish of hex dont quarantine their fish and they have proof of how successful their reef tanks are.

Based on my experience I am an advocate of 1-4 months of quarantining your fish, because i have personally lost thousands and thousands of dollars after not quarantining before on my Fowlr and my nano reef years back.

Now once again I am seeing a lot of people not quarantining fish. I just started my new aquarium and I heard before that I should quarantine before putting it on my DT but what if there are 0 live stocks in there other than a quarantined sps and CUC.

I do not quarantine. Check out @Paul B posts and tanks. He doesn't either.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a controversial topic here on R2R. You’ll get opinions on both sides. It’s also important to define quarantine in these discussions. Some people mean a quarantine (isolation) plus medications of various sorts. Others mean quarantine and only treat with medication when necessary.

FWIW: the Monterey Bay Aquarium uses a quarantine system.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just buy quarantined fish? There are several folks who do that now. A side benefit is that the fish remain in one place, typically for about a month so they have time to recover from continually moving/shipping. Another benefit is that you can get fish shipped at 1.025-1.026 s.g., which allows you to temperature acclimate in the closed bag and then immediately release into your display (assuming you run your salinity around 1.025-1.026).

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope to convince at least some of you that the decision to not QT has nothing to do with dice or chance one day.

It has everything to do with how you establish your system from day one. It has everything to do with how you run it everyday.

shblink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to not QT for the first couple years I was in the hobby. I wanted that instant gratification of fish/coral in my tank!

Having had hitchhiking cloves, AEFW, red bugs, ich, velvet, etc... I now quarantine EVERYTHING.
Coral all gets popped off whatever rock/plug I bought it on and glued onto a new one and into the Coral QT.
Fish all get QT'd with copper and prazi before going in the display.

I lost thousands of dollars in coral and fish I've had for close to 6 years (this one hurt the most)... which could've been avoided if I just took the time to quarantine.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back