A lot of known people dont QUARANTINE!!!

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reefing for almost 40 years... I do not quarantine and have never had an issue until recently... Quarantine is a personal choice, if it makes those who do it more comfortable, then its good for them. For those who don't feel they need to.... great.. Why is it a point of contention? There is no correct answer. Those who do, are not better or smarter then those who don't!

However... beware.. there are venders that will sell you infested acros and diseased fish without a second thought... Those venders even advertise on R2R..

It seems to me coral and fish pests are on the rise...

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the catch isnt what we are able to pull off in home using solely our own reporting, what really matters is what the public can and can’t reproduce.

I have never met a non quarantine advocate who can give a simple link of ten tanks from other people they coached and collected. All examples of no qt success come only from the reports of the one tank owner, that matters tremendously in ability for others to copy outcomes. It won’t work at all, in fact for others.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know 10 people with tanks. I don't know anyone here with a salt tank and I don't join reef clubs or any other kind of club so I can't coach anyone. But I did write a book. :cool:

I also helped start a number of LFSs and wholesalers here in NY but that was many years ago when I was discovering how to do this as there was no internet or computers.

We can only try to teach by example if anyone wants to learn our systems. We don't do this for a living. At least I don't and for me at least this is just one of many hobbies and not the one I spend most of my time on. An immune tank doesn't require hardly any work.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, in order to make change in the way we prevent massive initial fish loss you have to keep up examples built off your system and try and find the working variables that others can copy

also agreed the rock maturity and feeding are big deals as most reef tanks are fed the equivalent of a barely sustainable diet/ no variation and low probiotics etc.

we keep recommending qt to new tankers who want the highest chance for success per the disease forum but if everyone follows that, no change or evolution in procedure w be made. we can choose for the experimenting mode or the highest % retention mode. Only about 5 % of new cycles are using matured rocks. So 95% of start ups can’t use your approach they’ll need to qt unless they’re in it for experimentation over best practices

95% of reefers will not mature their system before adding fish, so the rush is preventing multiple options from emerging. They only want a completed ammonia control cycle before adding fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the catch isnt what we are able to pull off in home using solely our own reporting, what really matters is what the public can and can’t reproduce.

I have never met a non quarantine advocate who can give a simple link of ten tanks from other people they coached and collected. All examples of no qt success come only from the reports of the one tank owner, that matters tremendously in ability for others to copy outcomes. It won’t work at all, in fact for others.
I can give an example of ten tanks on a 180,000 gallon central system where my quarantine process has worked to avoid all epizootics for over six years (grin). I've only had one case of Cryptocaryon where I lost fish - a stand alone deep reef Caribbean exhibit that had a Spanish Flag fish in it that I was "scared" to run through copper. I eventually saved that fish, with copper, but lost a Bank's butterflyfish and some others.

Jay

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I also helped start a number of LFSs and wholesalers here in NY"
like which ones ?

NanoMan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok honestly I don’t QT. My situation is a bit different than most. My LFS does a great job. I order or put deposits down on my fish. They keep them for a month and do the QT process for me. They are kept in a medical tank. I get a guarantee on my fish too since I do it this way and costs a bit more but worth it. Coral I just dip and hope for the best. Coral I may get a hitchhiker or two but again my LFS does a good job and they are never bad. Worst I ever got was Hydroids on a Cerith Snail shells. They swapped them for me no problem.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I also helped start a number of LFSs and wholesalers here in NY"
like which ones ?
Good question as that was almost 50 years ago. One was "Fish Town USA" In Queens NY and it is still in business.

One was a place called Not Just Fish in Nassau and I helped his wholesaler many times with hard to feed species and invented and patented a seahorse feeder that he and others including the New York Aquarium in Brooklyn and Atlantic aquarium in eastern Long Island where I live now to keep their seahorses.

Two other stores I forgot their name but those were the days when virtually no stores sold salt water anything and I already had a tank so I helped. I even collected some of their water in my boat.

Jay good morning. I think we have to admit that a 180,000 gallon system is a little different than most people here have :)

Brandon, a few posts ago I recommended a way for people to reduce parasites if thats what they want to do with a diatom filter. People would rather spend money on quarantine tanks than some old technology that works and I have used one for various things since the 60s. It is mostly laughed at today. Mostly by people on the disease forum.

I also use a reverse undergravel filter. It is also laughed at but it is 50 years old. I show examples of what works for me in a normal home tank. Nothing expensive, complicated or hard. Just common sense but most people turn to new technology

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a matter of personal choice and nothing anyone says is going to convince me to do things a certain way.
I had saltwater fish back in the 70-80's and just like @Paul B I had the under gravel filtration system and basic stuff. I still have basic stuff and I'm going to be going back to the reverse under gravel filtration system. The only thing I have added is a skimmer which we didn't have back then.
I have fat healthy fish including several " EXPERT " only , and they were all drip acclimated and added to the tank. Zero qt time, and at some point hope to add corals.

I'm also going to be tearing out the base rock that started out dry, and adding 20 pounds of live rock from gulf live rock.

The only fish I've lost so far is to a power head suicide.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each their own. I've read enough to make my own decision. Take my emporer for example. I've raised this thing from a tiny blue & white thing to this yellow striped almost adult. Now with my sources I'll probably be ok, but I'm not willing to throw all my hard work into the dumpster over 2 months of quarantine. My solution is to buy prequarantined fish. I observe for a few weeks then into the thunderdome they go. Yes they're more expensive, but it washes out with all the expenses of self quarantine. To replace my current livestock at the same health/size would be probably be triple the original cost.

My curiosity is how do the anti fish quarantine people feel about our current world situation. I don't think we can discuss that though. Oddly I'm opposite of my view on fish which makes 0 sense

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My curiosity is how do the anti fish quarantine people feel about our current world situation. I don't think we can discuss that though. Oddly I'm opposite of my view on fish which makes 0 sense
Got to have a immune system built up. Lol sanitizer is the biggest problem, and no I haven't been vaccinated.

That's all I have to say on the world issues.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No jab for me either I’m t-cellin’ and antibodying it. When my job requires it I will though, I’ve no time to take on a new career. If I have to risk a stroke in order to keep job, then its yes to the man in the classic style. Fingers crossed no clots

Murphs_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have a QT tank but I just don't have the space for one. It is a bit of a gamble adding a new fish or coral even...but it is what it is currently for me

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question as that was almost 50 years ago. One was "Fish Town USA" In Queens NY and it is still in business.

One was a place called Not Just Fish in Nassau and I helped his wholesaler many times with hard to feed species and invented and patented a seahorse feeder that he and others including the New York Aquarium in Brooklyn and Atlantic aquarium in eastern Long Island where I live now to keep their seahorses.

Two other stores I forgot their name but those were the days when virtually no stores sold salt water anything and I already had a tank so I helped. I even collected some of their water in my boat.

Jay good morning. I think we have to admit that a 180,000 gallon system is a little different than most people here have :)

Brandon, a few posts ago I recommended a way for people to reduce parasites if thats what they want to do with a diatom filter. People would rather spend money on quarantine tanks than some old technology that works and I have used one for various things since the 60s. It is mostly laughed at today. Mostly by people on the disease forum.

I also use a reverse undergravel filter. It is also laughed at but it is 50 years old. I show examples of what works for me in a normal home tank. Nothing expensive, complicated or hard. Just common sense but most people turn to new technology
Did you have anything to do with that wholesaler in nassau , hempstead to be specific...circa 1978 ? when I was working for and helped set up and build "pets plus" in freeport ...I snuck in their one day after work and stocked up on stuff for my home tank..Guy who ran the wholesaler thought the stuff I picked was for pets plus...

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's quarantine? ;Joyful;Happy

On a more serious note, I understand the reasoning behind people quarantining new fish.

I've never done it. First of all because when I started in the hobby I didn't have the resources or space to do it.

Secondly, so far I've had no issues as long as my fish are well fed (in other words find other methods to lower your nutrient levels in your tank besides starving your fish). Healthy, well fed fish I find tend to rarely fall ill to whatever it is quarantining is supposed to avoid.

In my opinion, a "sterile" tank devoid of any pathogens is as illusionary as humans living in a sterile bubble...

On the other hand, I have read the stories about people who have had no issue not quarantining new fish but ended up regretting it. Not sure why this happens... maybe not feeding healthy fish enough?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 155 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.6%
Back