A message to people just starting a nano reef

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an experienced reef keeper who started out in the hobby working for a marine aquarium... and keeps large reef tanks, I just learned a lesson in nano reef keeping which especially applies to reef keepers who are successful in keeping large systems and about to start a nano... -and in general to anyone who is starting a nano:

My large reefs -65 Gallons and up in my experience are relatively bullet proof -because they are large systems and well established. By that I mean I can feed them and the eco system consumes everything -within reason. But not so with Nano Reefs.

So with my first nano reef, In my infinite wisdom I added too much plankton and shrimp in too short a time period, I was under an illusion that the rock, water and filtration media from one of my larger systems would carry the nano through whatever large nutrients I fed it.

WRONG.

So I lost a pair of designed black cloud clowns @ $90/each

Im just passing along the reality that nano reefs are far more delicate and take more patience -especially for beginners, but for us more experienced reef keepers also. Nano reefs require far more patience. Think, Ultra Low Nutrient System as you administer your nano and you'll be just fine. The experience many of us have with our resilient larger reefs does not apply

Flame away

Last edited:

THN4AU

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed this. I’m a teacher and I’m trying decide between doing a QT in my classroom or a full blown nano reef. This makes me rethink the reef. Plus at least my students could enjoy the QT.

Jdadams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like you would start to see other things happen as a result of over feeding before you see things die. Things associated with high nutrients. Could be wrong here.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I agree with most of what's been mentioned above. I started with a 29G biocube, and struggled with high nitrates and phosphates (and associated pest algae problems) despite frequent water changes and what I thought was a conservative feeding regime. My fish and corals did alright, but it never had the curb appeal I was looking for.

When I upgraded to my 125, I found that my heavy in - heavy out approach to reefing was much more manageable in the larger system. Is it easier? Absolutely not. In my bigger system, I'm able to employ nutrient control methods that I couldn't (or didn't) on the smaller system. A powerful skimmer, 2 filter socks that I change every three days, a large fuge, carbon reactor, etc... All of these things require maintenance. More stability, but more effort.

In hindsight, I think that I would be a little more capable of keeping a nano reef after trying both. I think I've learned that comparing the approach to keeping a nano reef to keeping a much larger reef is like comparing apples to oranges.

The approach to maintaining a nano tank is not necessarily just a mathematical percentage of what's required for a larger tank, but may require a completely different approach to reefing.

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I needed this. I’m a teacher and I’m trying decide between doing a QT in my classroom or a full blown nano reef. This makes me rethink the reef. Plus at least my students could enjoy the QT.
As large a tank as you can afford and for as long a period you can maintain.

Bigger tanks are better because they can grow in exciting ways you dont see coming. *that strange & beautiful creature that you never bought but somehow it came in on your live rock

First selection is System Style: whether you are going to run with sump or sumpless

Soft Corals and LPS (Large Polyp Stony Corals) done require sumps. Live Rock in the tank with current usually
One great thing about nanos is large water changes are easy to do. I haven't had a reef over 40g, so I haven't been accustomed to feeding too much and haven't had your experience.
Thats very true. I built an enclosure into the stand so I can keep a 5 gallons of water underneath turning over with a powerhead -so its ready to go.

Back