A microscope view - what’s in this culture of nannochloropsis?

The Fish Tank Hobbyist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any idea what has made its way into my culture of nannochloropsis?

Here is a quick video or 2 under the microscope:

Link:

AND DIRECT UPLOAD BELOW (IF IT WORKS)

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and yes. I would just be very careful when splitting the culture, try to reduce contamination. If you have a backup starter culture maybe use it instead

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and yes. I would just be very careful when splitting the culture, try to reduce contamination. If you have a backup starter culture maybe use it instead
PS and I'm sorry but I could not figure out how to edit my post.

kudos for having a microscope and taking very good video of your culture.
Your culture looks otherwise very healthy and I would not stress too much about one paramecium in the tank. It will most definitely happen.

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive old thread. I have the same problem, but in my copepod culture vessel. But A LOT of red Ciliata
See: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/flatworms-invading-copepod-culture.931939/#post-10528428

I have the impression that those "infected" jars are struggling to take off in terms of pod population. Maybe they compete for food? my water is always green as it is placed near a window, and for this reason I never feed pods with phyto. Not sure I am doing it right.

edit. 1) I am reading some posts about FW aquaristic and they use Paramecium as live food. Any experience with those in SW?

Last edited:
Back