A Modern Take on an Italian Classic: ELOS Pool 70 Reef Tank Build

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what happened but the quality went way downhill. No difference between them and the Red Sea systems anymore, besides the absurd price tag. I essentially wasted $14,000 on a new 200XL. It’s absolutely not any different than my Red Sea system. In fact the glass clarity is probably worse, as are the overflows :( my (very reputable) LFS confirmed that the quality had dropped off a lot when I asked. Now I try to warn people not to buy new ones. In fact the overflows are so bad I’m scrapping the entire system soon.

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know what happened but the quality went way downhill. No difference between them and the Red Sea systems anymore, besides the absurd price tag. I essentially wasted $14,000 on a new 200XL. It’s absolutely not any different than my Red Sea system. In fact the glass clarity is probably worse, as are the overflows :( my (very reputable) LFS confirmed that the quality had dropped off a lot when I asked. Now I try to warn people not to buy new ones. In fact the overflows are so bad I’m scrapping the entire system soon.
wow thanks for the insight

OP
OP
AceShadow_Reefer

AceShadow_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the good old days of Elos. The new ones aren’t nearly so nice anymore.
So sad... This tank really is a beauty and the build quality is incredible... you would think that their newer tanks would be even better! At least they have hard plumbing now.

I really want to upgrade to hard plumbing. I will be updating this thread when BRS finally gets the right sizes of PVC I want in 2' lengths because the stock plumbing only consists of a corrugated tube and a silicone tube, which are fine but are pretty messy looking and won't allow me to cleanly plumb in additional accessories such as a chiller.
Also, something funny happened the day I set up the tank. I didn't use a clamp on the barbed fitting for the return pump by accident and when I turned the COR 15 up to 10% the silicone tube nearly burst and the tube popped off the barb fitting spilling water everywhere... not great, but a couple cheap hose clamps later and it works fine. Still too worried to crank the COR 15 up any more than 15% though, which I would be able to do with hard plumbing and a manifold :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back