A mushy spotlight: Florida Ricordea

Discussion in 'Soft Coral Discussion' started by fishes2889, Feb 8, 2008.

1. fishes2889

fishes2889 Aquaculturist R2R Supporter

Florida Ricordea
    [​IMG]

Common Name: Mushroom Coral, Florida False Coral, Anemone Corals, Mushroom Anemones, Ricordea

Origins: Tropical Western Atlantic Ocean: Southern Florida to Brazil, Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean

Husbandry: These are mostly photosynthetic corals, which are approximately 1 – 3 inches in diameter, are among the easiest of all corals to maintain because they do better in somewhat nutrient rich surroundings. They are not true anemones, nor are they true corals, however, they are somewhere in between or more appropriately a comparative anatomy or simply put, a morph.

Flow: The general consensus i have observed is that they like a medium/high flow. They seem to expand bigger and receive a better growth rate in my tank with these conditions.

Lighting: Since in the wild these animals live in shallow reef areas, they love light. I have mine under T5's at the moment, but they thrive under Halides, and somewhat under PC's.

Feeding: Even though the majority of its nutrition mainly comes from its ability to photosensitize, this animal has short tentacles and is also a suspension feeder. And as with any animal with tentacles, they can be fed. Those in my aquariums have responded nicely to zooplankton-like foods such as Cyclop-eeze and baby brine shrimp.

Growth rate: Usually depends on tank conditions and many other variables, such as lighting, flow, nutrient content etc. I have seen around 1 split per 1-2 months.

Color morphs: They come in all types of colors, such as, orange, blue, green, purple, yellow/gold, pink, etc.

Confusions: Usually identified wrong as a Ricordea Yuma or some other Corallimorpharian.

*Note: Feel free to comment* :)

Enjoy,
    Steven
    Mushy Mod

Tautog likes this.
    Tags:

2. Russellaqua

Russellaqua Coral Junkie R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Moderator Emeritus

For anyone questioning whether they have Ricordea florida or R. yuma, it's quite easy to tell. Look at the mouth of the polyp. The mouth usually sits above the polyp on a cone-like structure. In R. florida the sides of this cone are smooth, but in R. yuma this cone has short tentacles just like the rest of the polyp. It's that easy!

stevo01 likes this.
  3. BlackwaterMerk

BlackwaterMerk New Member

They reproduce differently also right? One splits itself into 2 new shrooms and the other kind spouts out "babies" of itself. Is that correct?

4. Azurel

Azurel Morpharian Maffia Hitman R2R Supporter

That is correct.....Most of the time, I have never had a yuma split or a Florida drop off babies from the pedal foot.....But I have seen Yumas with multiple mouths that would indicate at some point a splitting....But again I have never seen in person.

5. Emster

Emster Member

My Florida Rics drop off babies, they usually don't do well. I got a very small one right now and keeping an eye on it. Seems like they always get shaded out by the mother. I should try and cut it off and let it grow. Mine usually just split and just recently I have been getting them with 4 mouths going and has not split yet but wont be long :)

6. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Anybody got any RIC pics??

7. JR's Reef

JR's Reef Joey08

Not the best pic but from my Iphone my Ric rock.
    [​IMG]

8. macclellan

macclellan Active Member

Check out the endless sticky'd Ric eye candy thread! :nerd:

Elementalj likes this.
  9. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Valuable Member

Trying to remember: Florida's have the smooth mouth, like the smooth Florida sand. Yuma mouths have protrusions, like the vertical cliffs in Yuma Arizona. ?

Elementalj likes this.
  10. snakejacques

snakejacques Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

norfolkgarden likes this.
  11. snakejacques

snakejacques Member

Dos mushrooms kill shrimp

12. snakejacques

snakejacques Member

Dos mushrooms kill shrimp

13. Ben Weaver

Ben Weaver Active Member Build Thread Contributor

IMG_4066.JPG

14. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Valuable Member

No but it might try to eat it if you set one there.

15. billr65

billr65 Member

very nice

Draft saved Draft deleted