A (New) Reef Grows in Brooklyn: Cade 1500 Peninsula

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Reef2Reefers,

Thanks for taking a dive into my journey to upgrade and start my new build, a Cade 1500 S/2 Peninsula, A (New) Reef Grows in Brooklyn (ARGiBK). I’ll be keeping this first post as the most recent tank shot.

Thursday, June 8, 2023

IMG_1604.jpeg

A couple notes about this thread:
  • I won’t be going into the step-by-step details of how the system was planned and the set up process, as you can see it’s already running! Honestly, I just don’t have the time or wherewithal to document and photograph everything.
    • Admittedly, getting the tank set up was a rush in the maelstrom of returning from a trip and immediately moving apartments. It did take months of planning, ordering/gathering equipment and orchestrating action to get it here quickly, and, there are still a few things to go to get it to 100%
  • That said, I may do some deep dives into certain aspects of the system as well as choices I am contemplating regarding livestock, equipment, etc. I will always welcome a healthy discussion!
  • Nevertheless, I am more than happy to post details about anything you’re curious about regarding the Reef, as well as running a 180 gallon in a Brooklyn apartment. Just ask!
Really looking forward to keeping you all updated as this system matures and grows!

F7C88721-DA0E-468B-86B8-A0071D8B73FA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll be keeping/editing this post to document the current stock list:

As of June 6, 2023

Current Fish
  • Conspiculatus Angel
  • Powder Blue Tang
  • Rhomboidalis Wrasse
  • Darwin Oscellaris Pair (my oldest fish at 8 years)
  • Multicolor Angel
  • Flame Angel
  • Indian Ocean Swallowtail Angel
  • Foxface
  • Gem Tang
  • Flame Hawk
  • Pink Smith Damsel Pair
  • Starcki Damsel
Current Inverts
  • Blue Gigantea Anemone
  • Lime Green Gigantea Anemone
  • Yellow Tip Magnifica Anemone
  • Pink Magnifica Anemone
Current Corals
  • Multicolor Pocillopora Colony
  • More to come!
(TO Be Finalized)

Last edited:
OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll be keeping this post to document the current equipment list:

As of June 6, 2023

Tank / Stand / Sump

• Cade 1500 S/2 Peninsula
Filtration
  • Biological
    • 125 lbs of Live Rock
      • 50 lbs of Live Rock from my old system (Marco Reef Rock + Caribsea Liferock)
      • 35 lbs of Cornerstone Branching Rock
      • 30 lbs of Cornerstone Premium Mix Rock
    • 10 lbs of SeaChem Matrix
  • Mechanical
    • Skimmer
      • Bubble Magus Curve 7 Elite
      • Note 1: My old system has a Maxxspect Jump Skimmer, which was a champ but has performed poorly as of late, so I pulled in my old Elite 7
      • Depending on how well the Algae Scrubber performs, I may be looking to upgrade the skimmer to a LifeReef SVS2-24
  • Scrubber
    • (To be Installed) Santa Monica RAIN 2 w/ 4 lights
Lighting
  • Mount is an 80/20 cantilevered wall mount
  • (To be Installed) 2x Kessil AP9x
    • Note: Awaiting mounting equipment to be able to get these set up on the mounting structure. Had initially planned to 3D print RMS-like brackets, but decided to ultimately utilize a combination aluminum bars and bolts, mounted to a Camera tripod ball to allow maximum flexibility/positioning on the extrusion track.
  • 2x Orphek OR3 Sky Blue 120 (48” fixtures)
    • Note: I have ordered 2x Orphek Day Reef Plus bars to replace the Sky Blues as I really dislike the strong blue cast and am aiming for a whiter spectrum for this tank and a more tolerable cast in my living room!

• BRS 5-stage 150GPD RO/DI system
    • Note: I have converted this to a 75GPD to be compatible with my Reef Buddie Smart Booster Pump which has a 100 GPD limit (just means it took 2x as long for the initial tank fill)
  • Reef Buddie Smart Booster Pump
  • Tamco 20 gallon water tank
  • (To be Installed, currently troubleshooting) @Buckeye Hydro Hi-lo Tank Controller
    • Note: the controller is currently inoperable as I plug it in and the controller module does not turn on. Until I figure this out, I’ll be refilling the ATO reservoir manually
More to come!

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was finally able to build the brackets and mount my two AP9Xs this morning!

IMG_1606.jpeg

I wanted a bracket mount with single point of connection that allowed for more flexibility for positioning, especially if I had decided to add a 3rd AP9X.

Ultimately, I used a combination of slotted metal bars with a camera tripod ball adapted to slide right into the 10-series extrusions. Though I really love solving problems like this, @Kessil, you really gotta add a bracket mounting option for your lights in the future!

Lighting is nearly there, though, the OR3s are sort of a sticking point without the ability to ramp control. Trying to get to the bottom of OSIX availability, and, still awaiting the arrival of the Day Plus bars to replace the Sky Blues.

Today’s tank shot (just gotta organize the lighting cords).

IMG_1604.jpeg

IMG_1605.jpeg

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One more post for today, the original ARGiBK I have upgraded from.

Deep Blue 80 that I’d had since 2016. Was getting pretty cramped with the big anemones and fish. I’m pretty sure they’re all much happier with the additional space!

Attachments

• IMG_0840.jpeg
    IMG_0840.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0888.jpeg
    IMG_0888.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0889.jpeg
    IMG_0889.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 48
  • E2D0399D-AE02-42D6-A633-C0AB23C88BA7.jpeg
    E2D0399D-AE02-42D6-A633-C0AB23C88BA7.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0955.jpeg
    IMG_0955.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0972.jpeg
    IMG_0972.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 51

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more post for today, the original ARGiBK I have upgraded from.

Deep Blue 80 that I’d had since 2016. Was getting pretty cramped with the big anemones and fish. I’m pretty sure they’re all much happier with the additional space!
Fantastic setup, I really like the aquascape and coral selection!

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fantastic setup, I really like the aquascape and coral selection!

Thanks! Really tried to provide a nice sense of front-to-back depth with the shallow/frag tank setup, tried for it again with the CADE, but the additional height sort of diminishes the scale.

Tank update for today: I’m knee deep in the ugly stage, brown algae is just about on every surface, tangs are very happy though!

pikadab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to get this tank as well now , going to set it up in brooklyn too XD

did you cut the baffles out to fit a roller mat? im want to use a reef mat instead of socks.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Planning to get this tank as well now , going to set it up in brooklyn too XD

did you cut the baffles out to fit a roller mat? im want to use a reef mat instead of socks.

Nice to see more CADE’s pop up in the area! I visited The Aquarium Shop in Westbury a couple weekends ago, and they’re trying to be a distributor (they had a couple dismantled CADEs they had brought to RAP in their showroom). They’re under new ownership and are shaping up to be one of the better LFS on Long Island too!

Re: The Baffles. Yes, I removed the filter sock housing (save for the divider to the skimmer compartment) and use an AquaMaxx AF-1 roller. The Red Sea kit makes easy work of all of it, but, it’s still a tight fit, even with the smallest roller mats (someone on R2R has the Red Sea and had to modify his plumbing to make the larger model fit). I opted to modify the roller mount, but it’s not perfect.

Not entirely happy with the AquaMaxx, but am waiting for the ReefFactory rollers to hit market and to see how stable their distribution and support chain is since they abandoned their direct-to-consumer online store in favor of finding retailers.

Attaching some shots of the sump area:

IMG_1771.jpeg
IMG_1772.jpeg

IMG_1773.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpeg
    IMG_1771.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One more shot of the roller, specifically. As you can see, I didn’t necessarily plumb to spec by switching the main and emergency drain outlets (the outlet bars should be crossed):

IMG_1784.jpeg

Next steps for the sump:

- Skimmer upgrade: currently contemplating the LifeReef or an RK2 X-flo.
- Get better dosing tube holders that actually hold onto metal!
- Eventual Rollermat upgrade (and unify the inlet and skimmer chambers)

pikadab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good, i love the maxspect jump though. looks like you didn't use the ATO part? you placed a skim-mate container there?

pikadab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it just a baffle that separates the ato spot and the sump? i wonder if you can just drill a hole then make it into an extra compartment for frags or something

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looking good, i love the maxspect jump though. looks like you didn't use the ATO part? you placed a skim-mate container there?

The Maxspect is a great skimmer, but definitely undersized for this application. I feel heavily (anthias), and even with the roller + skimmer, still scraping algae off the glass daily. The algae scrubber is taking forever to take off too.

My ATO is actually in the chiller compartment, bought a 20 gallon Tamco water tank. RODI is also in there, it’s all pretty tightly crammed, lol.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is it just a baffle that separates the ato spot and the sump? i wonder if you can just drill a hole then make it into an extra compartment for frags or something

Yep, one glass panel. My original plan was to drill into the ATO compartment and use it as a frag tank, but, it became pretty clear that I’d have no space for my dosing containers and skimmate locker.

I still plan to drill the compartment, but only to avert any waste water overflow in case the skimmate locker fails to stop the skimmer going haywire.

pikadab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dosing needs so much room haha, but overall build is looking great. I appreciate you posting pics/sharing your experiences.

I might have to follow the same way you put your light up. Looks great.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back