A newbie question about coral growth

Steph1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys, I have attached a (bad) picture of a coral in my tank and have forgotton its name. I am new to the hobby and have just got my head around water quality and parraneters (a bit anywhay) But I know very little about coral growth at all. Is this coral growing? each individual polyp has a yellow center it seems lately there are tiny bits of yelow showing between the other polyps some only the size if a grain of sand. Is this how this type of corals grow/divide? am I growing them or killing them?

GG.jpg

JBissell1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Favia to me, and the heads will split. If you see space between the heads, it may be a bad thing. But really hard to tell with that pic.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Agree with favia ID. As long as you notice new heads that grow together (like touching each other, no gaps) you’re doing really good. If the color is good, the coral looks nice and healthy with no skeleton, and you notice new baby heads occasionally then you’re all good

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back