itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initial build post - January 20, 2023

IMG_8741.JPG

Tank and equipment
  • 180 gallon Lifetime Aquariums custom tank with ultra clear side panels and black sides and glass lids
  • Trigger Systems 36" Tideline sump
  • Shadow overflow
  • Vectra L2 return pump
  • Two ReefBreeders 32 V2 Pro Photon lights
  • Two MP40s
  • CoralBox D700 skimmer
  • Apex A2 with Trident (plus two Dos units not set up yet)
  • Two 500w Finnex heaters with HC-810 controllers
  • ReefBreeders Prism ATO
IMG_8750.JPG

Livestock
  • Hippo tang
  • Sailfin tang
  • Foxface
  • Pair of Ocellaris clowns
  • Tiger pistol
  • Sunset Strip BTA
  • A few rock flowers
  • Purple brush gorgonian
  • Various zoas
  • Devil's hand and a few babies it has dropped
  • Various frags including green nephthea, giant sea fan, gold plume sea fan, purple blade sea fan, Koji Wada pink nepthea, and purple cespitularia
  • Cleanup crew: Trochus snails, Nassarius snails, Cerith snails, and one scarlet reef hermit
  • Rock: LifeRock arches and live rock from Australia - won at the Frag Farmer's Market raffle!
IMG_8736.JPG

Upcoming projects
  • Finish putting handles on the cabinet doors when they arrive
  • Set up the two Dos units
  • Organize wires/equipment
  • Replace mesh filter socks with media cups with silencers to reduce splashing sound
The journey

IMG_7895.PNG

First reef tank - February 2020

After a dramatic end to a terrible marriage, my two-year-old son and I moved in with my parents. I brought my little 5 gallon freshwater tank with me, and trips to the fish store for that tank plus needing a project to distract me from my life led me to set up a 45G AIO. This tank had ups and downs (I never could keep LPS alive) but was overall successful until I bought a house of my own and left the tank with my parents (who never signed up for taking care of a reef tank but were nice enough to feed the fish for me). It slowly became covered with bubble algae as it sat with no maintenance for months and months.

IMG_7094.PNG
tempImageoMu5aX.jpg

The first move - April 2021

The house I bought came with a 220G in-wall cichlid tank that had been there since the 1980s. I almost kept it, but the glass was scratched up beyond repair, the seams made me nervous, and a 220 was too tall for me to do maintenance easily. The cichlids had been rehomed, but I left the tank filled and filter running (without a heater) for the first two months I owned the house... so imagine my surprise to find a baby fish swimming around in the sump one day. Poor thing survived two months with no food and no heat (it was December-January in Connecticut and we had the heat on just enough to keep the pipes from freezing). I managed to catch it and put it in my 5G, planning to take it to the LFS, but woke up the next morning to find it had jumped through a slit in the lid to its death - after all that.

I gave away the 220 and ordered a 180 to take its place. My favorite LFS, Wet Pets, installed it with a basement sump (awesome!). I went to the CT Frag Farmer's Market and won a box of live rock straight from Australia and three huge boxes of LifeRock arches in their raffle. This plus some mature rock from my 45G led to a great start... I never had major uglies or other issues. I did lose a couple of fish moving them from the 45G - in retrospect, they were not very healthy to begin with due to poor water quality and a single-food diet in the neglected tank, and I rushed through catching them and moving them without a proper acclimation process.

The tank did well, and I added some fish rehomed from another hobbyist. I lost a couple of fish here and there for unknown reasons. I didn't add much coral because around this time I met my future husband, and his hour-long commute from my house to his job raised the specter of another move.

The second move - December 2022

tempImagejg3Pp2.jpg

The future husband and I got engaged and bought a house closer to his job (and with a horse barn for my horses). I put my house up for sale with the tank included if the buyers wanted it. It went under contract quickly, and the buyers wanted the tank. At this point I started to have major seller's remorse, and I started badgering my agent for information about the buyers... had they had fish before, had they had a reef tank, and so on. I found out they only wanted the tank because "they didn't want a hole in the wall." So I nearly blew up the house deal and amended the contract (and the price...) to take the tank with us.

I had a custom stand and bookcase made, originally to be agains the wall of our new den, but my dad had the idea of rotating it to make a room divider. This had the added benefit of creating an office for me.

The tank move was... an ordeal. On the advice of Reef Assist CT (thank you!), I set up a 150 gallon stock tank at the new house and carefully moved my rock, coral, and fish into it. This time I properly acclimated them, and they were fat and healthy and coming from decent quality water. Wet Pets moved the tank and redid the plumbing for me. When it was ready for livestock, the final move went without a hitch - I didn't lose a single fish or coral.

Things were going ok - but the tank was LOUD. There was no way I could use the office area for videoconferencing over the sound of the return pump. I started researching soundproofing and planned to line the sump cabinet with some kind of sound absorbing material. It was expensive though and I wasn't sure if it would work, so I called Reef Assist CT for some help. Matt suggested swapping out the return pump for a quieter one - now even standing right next to it I swear I can't hear the pump! Amazing difference. He also suggested swapping my mesh filter socks for media cups with silencers and poly to reduce water splashing sound (which I'll be doing once things are back in stock). I wanted the cabinet to look more built in and the tank more framed, so Matt (who is also a carpenter) added moldings and made everything look absolutely beautiful. Since the cabinet was supposed to be against the wall, it had no back - Matt built doors that attach with magnets so I can still access the sump from both sides.

Corals (even a Duncan!) are doing well despite depleted "big 3"... I hadn't been testing, thinking softies and a single Duncan wouldn't need much. Oh how wrong that was - so I bit the bullet and bought an Apex and Trident and will be setting up automated dosing.

So that's how we got here - hopefully where we'll be for a good long time.

Last edited:

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great!

What do you think about the Sailfin?

I don't know why, but it's my least favorite tang...

OP
OP
itgoeson

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about the Sailfin?
You know, I'd wanted one for a long time and he's been a little disappointing. I liked watching them in fish stores raise and lower their dorsal fin. This one constantly has his fin up so he's not as interesting to watch. I do love his eyes though - when he looks at things, the stripe through his eye rotates like a compass dial.

He gets long great with the other fish though - the tangs and foxface basically shoal together all the time - so overall I'm glad to have him.

OP
OP
itgoeson

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag Farmers Market is coming up this Saturday - can’t wait! Thought it was a good time to send out an ICP test to make sure everything looks good for more (maybe more finicky) coral and check the calibration on my Trident and Hanna checkers.

Results are pretty good overall. Says I need to add a little Bromine and Manganese (how important is that?). Aluminum and zinc are a little high (probably because I have MarinePure in the sump and two Flippers constantly in the DT) - I’m not really worried though as levels are still pretty low.

44C18051-BA19-4566-9BAC-77C551B1C4B8.jpeg

Tank looks good. I’ve been culturing Phyto to get the pod population up for a future pair of mandarins. There are tons of pods on the glass now. I ordered some fish from Dr Reef over a month ago, so they should be pretty close to heading my way!

94D7C3B7-101D-42BB-A96B-F07513088F7F.jpeg

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank, and a good story getting there. I'm planning a similar tank.

... What do you think about the Sailfin?

I don't know why, but it's my least favorite tang...

This comment does surprise me, the Sailfin is my favorite tang. Keeping one long term is one of the main drivers for me wanting a big tank. To each there own I guess.

OP
OP
itgoeson

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This comment does surprise me, the Sailfin is my favorite tang. Keeping one long term is one of the main drivers for me wanting a big tank. To each there own I guess.
I really love this fish now. He’s grown a lot since I got him, and he’s absolutely beautiful and fun to watch. I am a little worried that so many people say a 180 is too small though… all the fish sites say 180 minimum, hoping he isn’t too cramped when he grows more.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a range in adult sizing, if it ends up on the small end you could be fine. I'm planning a tank in the 250 gallon range, I'm worried that a larger adult would out grow it.

OP
OP
itgoeson

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it’s officially a mixed reef now. I got a few acro frags at Frag Farmers Market in March, along with a Maxima clam that is my favorite thing in the tank these days. I had a local reef maintenance person come out to par map and help me adjust lighting:

BE825402-221A-4D88-92BE-1BFF79879965.jpeg

8FAB07BD-E4B1-43AD-9DAF-702D5B005A67.jpeg

It’s now mid-May and all of these frags are encrusting, growing at the tips, and have good polyp extension. The clam seems happy and shows some new white growth on the shell.

I gave away the Devil’s hand after it kept dropping babies and trying to fill the entire tank with itself. I still have two leathers, a green tip toadstool and a (fake) weeping willow… these may have to go at some point, but so far everything is happy coexisting.

I also added some fish from Dr Reef in March… a flame hawk, four azure damsels, a high fin goby (for the lonely pistol shrimp), and a pair of mandarins. I’m 99% sure the mandarins are both female though.

Since pairing with the goby, the pistol shrimp has turned his simple bachelor pad into an increasingly elaborate tunnel system. I rarely see more than an antenna sticking out - he works nights. And I haven’t seen the goby at all, but I assume she’s in there given the shrimp’s continued dedication to home improvement.

Every fish has a specific spot to sleep at night except the damsels who do not sleep. Ever.

I had one aiptasia appear. Added two peppermint shrimp who promptly disappeared never to be seen again (and who did nothing about the aiptasia). AiptasiaX seems to have done the trick.

While it may not work forever, I haven’t been doing water changes. I’ve been dosing calcium, soda ash, and magnesium from BRS. I picked up some Tropic Marin part C and will start using that instead of magnesium going forward. I’ve been using Poly Filters in the filter sock area (socks are now replaced with media cups). Nutrients are a little high (nitrate 10-12, phosphate 0.12-0.14) but stable, and algae isn’t a problem and everything appears to be happy and growing. I’ll send out another ICP test soon.

Issues to solve:
- Try to eradicate red mushrooms before they spread too much
- Reattach one of the MP40s that I removed to clean and now vibrates off (I bought a new wet side but that won’t work either)
- Somehow remove and sell 3 of the 4 BTAs… they keep splitting

8F30BE38-075F-4204-ADC8-6DF350186F3B.jpeg
463AEA21-AD17-45C4-8C7F-B5FA3B886953.jpeg 7555B84F-FBD7-4F57-BD4C-4C5CD04B95F2.jpeg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it’s officially a mixed reef now. I got a few acro frags at Frag Farmers Market in March, along with a Maxima clam that is my favorite thing in the tank these days. I had a local reef maintenance person come out to par map and help me adjust lighting:

It’s now mid-May and all of these frags are encrusting, growing at the tips, and have good polyp extension. The clam seems happy and shows some new white growth on the shell.

I gave away the Devil’s hand after it kept dropping babies and trying to fill the entire tank with itself. I still have two leathers, a green tip toadstool and a (fake) weeping willow… these may have to go at some point, but so far everything is happy coexisting.

I also added some fish from Dr Reef in March… a flame hawk, four azure damsels, a high fin goby (for the lonely pistol shrimp), and a pair of mandarins. I’m 99% sure the mandarins are both female though.

Since pairing with the goby, the pistol shrimp has turned his simple bachelor pad into an increasingly elaborate tunnel system. I rarely see more than an antenna sticking out - he works nights. And I haven’t seen the goby at all, but I assume she’s in there given the shrimp’s continued dedication to home improvement.

Every fish has a specific spot to sleep at night except the damsels who do not sleep. Ever.

I had one aiptasia appear. Added two peppermint shrimp who promptly disappeared never to be seen again (and who did nothing about the aiptasia). AiptasiaX seems to have done the trick.

While it may not work forever, I haven’t been doing water changes. I’ve been dosing calcium, soda ash, and magnesium from BRS. I picked up some Tropic Marin part C and will start using that instead of magnesium going forward. I’ve been using Poly Filters in the filter sock area (socks are now replaced with media cups). Nutrients are a little high (nitrate 10-12, phosphate 0.12-0.14) but stable, and algae isn’t a problem and everything appears to be happy and growing. I’ll send out another ICP test soon.

Issues to solve:
- Reattach one of the MP40s that I removed to clean and now vibrates off (I bought a new wet side but that won’t work either)

463AEA21-AD17-45C4-8C7F-B5FA3B886953.jpeg 7555B84F-FBD7-4F57-BD4C-4C5CD04B95F2.jpeg
Tank looks like it is doing really well!!!

OP
OP
itgoeson

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could take better photos!

B9B82ECE-B9BF-4696-97FF-EC15A1B5CBE1.jpeg

Desjardini tang

B6BEAA43-B335-4BEB-9121-C3CA15017184.jpeg

Green slimer and unknown green tipped acro with azure damsel

D6E3D2EE-1CB2-420E-BB3E-7E0302E6C172.jpeg

GMKs

F90314AE-5B74-4B18-9214-9BBA292682FA.jpeg

Citrus rhodactis

43C31CE7-A3F6-40EE-BCAE-C94A68A2E922.jpeg

Red tile star

B3383CCF-8725-4E61-903B-BF8B46E12673.jpeg

Clown pair with one of too many BTAs

67C9BF69-BBBC-4360-8A90-2D525CEFF8DE.jpeg

Maxima clam

8942E657-A088-4768-AC43-B7BF129C82C0.jpeg

Fruit Loops

Last edited:

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pictures look great! I would love to see more of your Marine Beta.

And, how long have you had the starfish? I would love to add one to my future upgrade but want to be sure I pick a type that does well in captivity.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could take better photos!

B9B82ECE-B9BF-4696-97FF-EC15A1B5CBE1.jpeg

Desjardini tang

B6BEAA43-B335-4BEB-9121-C3CA15017184.jpeg

Green slimer and unknown green tipped acro with azure damsel

D6E3D2EE-1CB2-420E-BB3E-7E0302E6C172.jpeg

GMKs

F90314AE-5B74-4B18-9214-9BBA292682FA.jpeg

Citrus rhodactis

43C31CE7-A3F6-40EE-BCAE-C94A68A2E922.jpeg

Red tile star

B3383CCF-8725-4E61-903B-BF8B46E12673.jpeg

Clown pair with one of too many BTAs

67C9BF69-BBBC-4360-8A90-2D525CEFF8DE.jpeg

Maxima clam

8942E657-A088-4768-AC43-B7BF129C82C0.jpeg

Fruit Loops
Photos look great!!! It captures the tank really well

OP
OP
itgoeson

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pictures look great! I would love to see more of your Marine Beta.

And, how long have you had the starfish? I would love to add one to my future upgrade but want to be sure I pick a type that does well in captivity.
Thank you! Unfortunately the marine betta arrived in poor condition (swimming at an angle, some scales torn/rubbed off). He didn’t make it but lived a day longer than the guarantee, and the vendor had lost a couple in quarantine also (even though these were all captive bred), so I didn’t want to put any more fish through it. I’m keeping my eye out for tank breakdowns hoping someone wants to rehome one. It was a beautiful fish even in a sad state.

I’ve had the starfish since March 4, so 2.5 months. It stayed in one spot on the glass for a couple of weeks and seemed to be wasting away, but since then it’s been cruising around eating stuff and looks pretty healthy (I think?). I hope it makes it!! I read that these are on the hardier side as long as the tank is mature enough to have decent biofilm.

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Unfortunately the marine betta arrived in poor condition (swimming at an angle, some scales torn/rubbed off). He didn’t make it but lived a day longer than the guarantee, and the vendor had lost a couple in quarantine also (even though these were all captive bred), so I didn’t want to put any more fish through it. I’m keeping my eye out for tank breakdowns hoping someone wants to rehome one. It was a beautiful fish even in a sad state.

I’ve had the starfish since March 4, so 2.5 months. It stayed in one spot on the glass for a couple of weeks and seemed to be wasting away, but since then it’s been cruising around eating stuff and looks pretty healthy (I think?). I hope it makes it!! I read that these are on the hardier side as long as the tank is mature enough to have decent biofilm.
Man that sucks! Those are my favorite fish!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Issues to solve:

great looking tank

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back