Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for the 2 big questions:
1. When to take the AC out or just leave the AC in the reactor and take it out of the overflow cups?
2. When should I do another dose?
Tank is running the water change right now with the DOS and testing good so far.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. When to take the AC out or just leave the AC in the reactor and take it out of the overflow cups?
Tank is running the water change right now with the DOS and testing good so far.
Id recommend taking the carbon out at the latest in a fortnight otherwise around then it will stop working eventually and instead of soaking anything up, becoming a bio media.
Another dose of carbon or the medication?

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id recommend taking the carbon out at the latest in a fortnight otherwise around then it will stop working eventually and instead of soaking anything up, becoming a bio media.
Another dose of carbon or the medication?
I was thinking of doing another dose of medication but not really sure the gestation of the eggs. I wonder if the carbon in the reactor would still be good for another dose as long as I shut it off first.
2.5lbs of ROX.08 carbon is not cheap so I really was hoping to use it again

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of doing another dose of medication but not really sure the gestation of the eggs. I wonder if the carbon in the reactor would still be good for another dose as long as I shut it off first.
im not too sure if there is a way to test if carbon is still able to adsorb anything so your choice, and I'm not too familiar with the medication or pest you have so I'm not sure what else to advice sorry.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not too sure if there is a way to test if carbon is still able to adsorb anything so your choice, and I'm not too familiar with the medication or pest you have so I'm not sure what else to advice sorry.
That is fine I will get @Crabs McJones in here and ask him what he thinks

I put all of the links of what I did here so he will not have to read back pages

Okay let me just give a run down on what we did
1. had about 2.75 pounds of rox.08 carbon
a- stuffed the brs reactor full of it and left the valve off until we needed it
b- put the rest into the overflow cups with bags and floss to keep the carbon from spilling out and set them aside
2. turned my gyres up so the tank had lots of flow
pulled out my best friends watch he had before he died as a good luck charm
3. poured 2.5 caps of FE into the tank and set Alexia for 45min.
The ones on the glass moved alot and some started coming off but very few
After 45min still some on the glass but the coral looked good still
Added 1.5 more caps into the tank and more started slowly coming of the glass
Some coral seemed a little unhappy but not bad so I started all the charcoal
I then started a 30 gal change with my DoS (will take awhile)
More have come off the glass as I am typing this to the point I see like 10 out of the hundred that were there and they are not doing well like they are hanging on for dear life
The coral is looking good right now even some that started to close a little seem to be opening up so I will watch it for several more hours and report here the progress as I am a nervous wreck.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is fine I will get @Crabs McJones in here and ask him what he thinks

I put all of the links of what I did here so he will not have to read back pages
Good morning! So what's going on were treating for flatworms and you've run one treatment already. Are you running carbon now or not?

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning! So what's going on were treating for flatworms and you've run one treatment already. Are you running carbon now or not?
1. had about 2.75 pounds of rox.08 carbon
a- stuffed the brs reactor full of it and left the valve off until we needed it
b- put the rest into the overflow cups with bags and floss to keep the carbon from spilling out and set them aside
2. turned my gyres up so the tank had lots of flow
pulled out my best friends watch he had before he died as a good luck charm
3. poured 2.5 caps of FE into the tank and set Alexia for 45min.
The ones on the glass moved alot and some started coming off but very few
After 45min still some on the glass but the coral looked good still
Added 1.5 more caps into the tank and more started slowly coming of the glass
Some coral seemed a little unhappy but not bad so I started all the charcoal

The charcoal is still in the reactor and the red sea media cups
All coral is looking good today and just finishing up on the 30gal water change.
Should I leave the carbon in the reactor for another dose or replace it?
And when should I do another dose as I am used the whole bottle of FWE so I will get more.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace it with the new dose. Are all the flatworms gone or are there still more?

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace it with the new dose. Are all the flatworms gone or are there still more?
Okay when should I do the new dose?
I have not seen any but all I can see is what is on the glass.I had some specs that never came off but not sure those were flatworms as they never have moved. I used a whole bottle of FWE so I will get some more today.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait a little bit. A whole bottle should have done it.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my dad get the magnifier and look at the corner and he counts 8 that are flatworms :(
Question, were you running carbon during the treatment or after the treatment?
One bottle treats 300 gallons and a 750xxl is only about 160. So you've double dosed already.
Hang on i'm going to call in some more help.
#reefsquad any help is appreciated!

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, were you running carbon during the treatment or after the treatment?
One bottle treats 300 gallons and a 750xxl is only about 160. So you've double dosed already.
Hang on i'm going to call in some more help.
#reefsquad any help is appreciated!
Yea no carbon ran at all during treatment just the skimmer and gyres. I didn't even have filter cups installed.
Tank sat with chemical in it for 55min before and ac was added.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea no carbon ran at all during treatment just the skimmer and gyres. I didn't even have filter cups installed.
Tank sat with chemical in it for 55min before and ac was added.
When I treated I had the the pumps and skimmers off during the treatment, done the wc and ran the AC. Waited a couple of days to a week before my next treatment. I used the same steps and used new AC. It took 5 to 6 treatments before I totally eradicated them from my 32 biocube. I always had to treat with a little heavier dose than what the normal dose was called out on the bottle. Not knowing I had them I moved a couple of corals to my 144 and infected that tank as well, I never seen them in the DT only the sump. I treated my sump as the same way I treated the 32, it took 3 treatments. I always used new AC.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I treated I had the the pumps and skimmers off during the treatment, done the wc and ran the AC. Waited a couple of days to a week before my next treatment. I used the same steps and used new AC. It took 5 to 6 treatments before I totally eradicated them from my 32 biocube. I always had to treat with a little heavier dose than what the normal dose was called out on the bottle. Not knowing I had them I moved a couple of corals to my 144 and infected that tank as well, I never seen them in the DT only the sump. I treated my sump as the same way I treated the 32, it took 3 treatments. I always used new AC.
Okay so I have now counted 15 more. Should I go ahead and dose with gyres and skimmer off then wait and until I see more?
This 5-6 doses is going to cost me 250$ in ac alone :(

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, how much AC are you using?
Okay so I have now counted 15 more. Should I go ahead and dose with gyres and skimmer off then wait and until I see more?
This 5-6 doses is going to cost me 250$ in ac alone :(
I apologize because I don't know your system, buy I am curious because I have never used the rox.08 carbon. Why would it cost that much? I just looked at the reef calculator and the recommended dose for a 160 gallon is 1 cup.

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, how much AC are you using?

I apologize because I don't know your system, buy I am curious because I have never used the rox.08 carbon. Why would it cost that much? I just looked at the reef calculator and the recommended dose for a 160 gallon is 1 cup.
I was told to go by the direction and I did:
The Flatworm Exit instructions say to use 1lb of high quality carbon per 50gal
directions.jpg

This is high quality carbon price:
07969a01241aa299ff20ff8e53322284.png

I was just trying to go by the directions is all.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back