A one week ugly phase? It can be done!

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to drop by and remind people that the never ending ugly phase is not a necessity! Please look at my build thread to learn more!

20210715_201323.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree you don’t have to have a never ending ugly stage, I did it with my large system by using rowaphos and heavy.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck yes. we need to swing this hobby back to aquacultured real ocean live rock. Hobbyists will have more success and an easier time leading to a more thriving hobby. Kinda hyperbolic, but dead dry rock was the worst thing to happen to this hobby in 20 years. Well, next to the Hawaii ban.
With KP Aquatics starter rock my ugly phase was a week or less. The starter rock is cheaper and has minimal die off and minimal hitchhikers. Has flecks of coralline and a little sponge. Not nearly as nice as their premium stuff like OP, but still very alive.
Hitchhikers aren’t really a big deal. Most can be easily dealt with and all the good critters you get are way worth it.
My IM AIO came with a filter sock, i never use them normally because they catch too much good stuff. I ran it for a few weeks. Had zero pods. Took it out and tank exploded with pods. Fish are happy!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back