A pair of clowns?

Clownfish or Bangaii?

• Total voters

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am 14 and setting up my first ever reef tank! It’s is 37.4 gallons and is 36x15x16. I was wanting to know if a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish would be a good choice to put in my reef? Anyone had any negative experiences with them? Positive? I am debating on getting these or a pair or a pair of Bangaii Cardinals. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

- Noxel

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of clowns is a very good entry level choice if they are added at the same time and about the same size

OP
OP
noxel56

noxel56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of clowns is a very good entry level choice if they are added at the same time and about the same size
Oh I thought the general rule was to get a bigger one so it will become the dominant female so they won’t have to fight as much to establish who’s who.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a bit difficult to pair Bangai cardinals because they don’t change sexes like clownfish. I would definitely choose a clown pair! Any two of the same species should work minus maroons which are more difficult to pair. If you get a big and small one the bickering might be less. Have fun!

SeaSickness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my tank I put two juveniles in at the same time. Ultimately they sorted it out on their own and now they're inseparable.
I've had them now for nearly 3 years.

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of ocellaris clowns were my first fish in a 40 gallon tank and I have never regretted it. They've got this golden retriever like whole body wag that just says I'm a friendly dog trapped inside of a fish.

I've never had Cardinals so don't let me dissuade you, but I'm very pro clownfish.

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of ocellaris clowns were my first fish in a 40 gallon tank and I have never regretted it. They've got this golden retriever like whole body wag that just says I'm a friendly dog trapped inside of a fish.

I've never had Cardinals so don't let me dissuade you, but I'm very pro clownfish.
Friendly? LOL mine are mean. They fight off my Tomato Clown.

TheStrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friendly? LOL mine are mean. They fight off my Tomato Clown.

Mine insisted I pat them and would get kind of pouty if I didn't feed them by hand. I dont think they ever had any issue with any other fish in the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back