OP
Anthony Scholfield

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still running the A Oxidator on the 40 gallon?

Yes I am. Not in this tank though. This tank was broke down a bit over a year ago.

I have an oxydator A I’m running in my other 40g that’s been up over a year and a half.

Something I can help you with maybe?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am. Not in this tank though. This tank was broke down a bit over a year ago.

I have an oxydator A I’m running in my other 40g that’s been up over a year and a half.

Something I can help you with maybe?I

Something I can help you with maybe?
i have a D in a 40 g (approximately) with 6%. I have ordered an A model since the top of it isn’t plastic like the D model. Any quirks with the A model? I’m guessing I should run it the same with 6% or should I run lower at 3%? I’ve only been running this for a couple weeks and what a difference in water clarity, glass cleaning, coral which is LPS are inflated nicely.I haven’t seen any harm to anything in there except maybe some algae which dies t hurt my feelings at all. Are you dosing anything else in your tank, I’m curious. I’m running a skimmer and very small amount of carbon in a bag. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don’t belong to Facebook so the Oxidator group us out

OP
OP
Anthony Scholfield

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DHill6

I would not say there are any quirks with the A model. I would say overall it is designed way better than the D. I owned a D for a short time but found that after some use it leaked because the nubs on the base would wear and compromise the seal. Almost disastrous really.

The A has an inner plastic chamber that seals better. The plastic cap though I found overtime starts to wear as well from opening and closing, especially if you over tighten. I had my friend 3D print me new caps with a built in O-ring seal. A design upgrade :) I can get you the files if that’s something you’re interested in or maybe he can print you up some too and send them.

I run mine at about the 8-10% h2o2. I mix my own h2o2 from a 35% solution. If you’re running the D at 6% you’re fine to keep it at that. The A is only a larger model. It won’t use more or output more solution than the D does. Your tank will determine that. Factors such as temperature and organics can effect how much solution is used amongst other things.

I totally concur that running one can be helpful. Water clarity is the biggest thing I notice! Definitely no harm to running one properly. I’ve been running it for about 1.5yrs in this tank. If your solution percentage is too high some tank inhabitants will likely be irritated. One thing I have noticed and is a good indicator of an oxydator issue is zoanthids. They are the first thing to be affected and close up. They are my canary and can alert me to a possible leak.

When it comes to dosing I’m running a kalkwasser drip. Daily phytoplankton and fuel by aquavitro. Daily PNS bacteria. I run a skimmer and a reactor with some carbon and phosguard. I also have a large chaeto refugium.

Feel free to ask any other questions. I’ll do my best to help you. I’m not a part of FB either. I’m here on occasion but mainly on Instagram. You can find me @doubleadeejay I find it to be okay for socials. Some good people with good info around there. Plenty of crap too but less than FB haha :p

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DHill6

I would not say there are any quirks with the A model. I would say overall it is designed way better than the D. I owned a D for a short time but found that after some use it leaked because the nubs on the base would wear and compromise the seal. Almost disastrous really.

The A has an inner plastic chamber that seals better. The plastic cap though I found overtime starts to wear as well from opening and closing, especially if you over tighten. I had my friend 3D print me new caps with a built in O-ring seal. A design upgrade :) I can get you the files if that’s something you’re interested in or maybe he can print you up some too and send them.

I run mine at about the 8-10% h2o2. I mix my own h2o2 from a 35% solution. If you’re running the D at 6% you’re fine to keep it at that. The A is only a larger model. It won’t use more or output more solution than the D does. Your tank will determine that. Factors such as temperature and organics can effect how much solution is used amongst other things.

I totally concur that running one can be helpful. Water clarity is the biggest thing I notice! Definitely no harm to running one properly. I’ve been running it for about 1.5yrs in this tank. If your solution percentage is too high some tank inhabitants will likely be irritated. One thing I have noticed and is a good indicator of an oxydator issue is zoanthids. They are the first thing to be affected and close up. They are my canary and can alert me to a possible leak.

When it comes to dosing I’m running a kalkwasser drip. Daily phytoplankton and fuel by aquavitro. Daily PNS bacteria. I run a skimmer and a reactor with some carbon and phosguard. I also have a large chaeto refugium.

Feel free to ask any other questions. I’ll do my best to help you. I’m not a part of FB either. I’m here on occasion but mainly on Instagram. You can find me @doubleadeejay I find it to be okay for socials. Some good people with good info around there. Plenty of crap too but less than FB haha :p
Thanks for the reply. I ordered another D for a backup, fits my sump. I’m definitely going to keep an eye on the D for any problems. I don’t have zoas but I keep an eye on the scolys, blastos, acans, gonis and gorgorian.
How are you liking the PNS bacteria?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Anthony Scholfield

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I ordered another D for a backup, fits my sump. I’m definitely going to keep an eye on the D for any problems. I don’t have zoas but I keep an eye on the scolys, blastos, acans, gonis and gorgorian.
How are you liking the PNS bacteria?

Just saw your question…….

I’ve been dosing it for about a year now, maybe a little more. My intent with it is for feeding more than anything. I’m sure there are other things it’s doing but my experience is that those things aren’t super noticeable to me.

I culture my own phyto and when I found I could culture this I did so as well. Hydrospace sells an at home culture kit. It makes about 2.5gallons. A huge money saver if you’re into that sort of thing.

I’m a believer in the microbiome of our systems being the base off of which everything else grows. So a healthy microbiome will support a healthy system. Feeding phytoplankton and purple non sulfur bacteria aids in feeding the microbiome. We also have an understanding that coral uses bacteria as food more than other things……we know so little about coral and it’s function. Truth is we know more about space, kinda sad really…..anyway.

Some will likely report that the use of PNS bacteria lowered their nitrates or phosphates or things grew more or color was better or, or, or……my experience tells me that some of those things may be effected by it’s use but nothing obvious. That doesn’t mean that those experiences aren’t valid and don’t have some merit but call me skeptical on those accounts because of the length I have used this and what I’ve seen doesn’t really align with those claims for its use.

We are fond of saying every tank is different. Which is true in a bigger sense than we even understand. My microbiome is doing so many things to sustain the life I have. Your microbiome is doing so many different things than mine. You using PNS may see a slightly different result than me. I guess I’m trying to say that using this isn’t a magic trick for anything. It’s a bacteria that does what it does and will respond accordingly to the conditions it’s in.

If it’s something that interests you i suggest reading literature about purple non sulfur bacteria. It has so many properties and capabilities as a bacteria. So different from our typical bacterias we add. One of the many noteworthy things is it’s ability to deal with the vibrio bacteria. Hydrospace’s blog is a good place to start, https://www.hydrospace.store/blog

This is one of those things where you believe the literature or you don’t. It is either a bacteria that accomplishes those things or doesn’t. It’s hard to quantify or see in our systems which is difficult for us because we want to SEE results. Plus I think it needs to be used regularly over a decent length of time to be useful. A dab her and a dab there won’t accomplish much, same with the amount of phyto we use, a trail for another day.

My current at home kit will be gone today and I plan on taking a break from using it so I can try and see if I notice any differences from not using PNS. That will take a few months though. I encourage you to read up on it. I’d be curious to hear your thoughts.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe micro biome also. Dosing phytoplankton, kZ ZeoBak once per week after wc, used MB7 but not recently. I just watch the corals. I’ve wondered about the PNS stuff, thanks for info.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back