A place to buy Chloroquine

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely helpful, and I appreciate all of the work you and others have done with all of this. However, a vet isn't going to want a "lay person" to write his/her script that the vet in turn signs and sends to a pharmacy, when the vet knows absolutely nothing about the kind of animal you want to treat, nor does he/she know anything about the drug you want to treat with. If you tell your vet, "I want to try chewable flea medicine instead of the topical I've been using for my dog," he looks at the chart to see your dog's weight and boom!, you've got a signed prescription. If you tell your vet, "I want 30 grams of Chloroquine Phosphate to quarantine my saltwater fish," the vet looks at you like you have worms coming out of your nose.
A Veterinarian can get access to an online forum exclusively for Veterinarians to find information, I'm pretty sure there are aquatic Veterinarians on there they can consult with about CP usage in ornamental fish.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case, your best option is to try to locate an aquatic veterinarian in your area: http://www.aquavetmed.info

More great info! I think I'll get something figured out with my uncle. I was really just trying to point out why so many people have so much difficulty getting a prescription from their vet for this stuff. I also agree that the companies in the aquarium hobby business should step-up and make a pharmaceutical grade product to address this.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also agree that the companies in the aquarium hobby business should step-up and make a pharmaceutical grade product to address this.

Blame Big Brother. In the US, the FDA defines what substances require a prescription in order to be dispensed by a pharmacy. I've also read this on the FDA's website for animal drugs containing CP: "Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian."

So aquarium companies/pharmaceuticals and people on ebay are technically breaking the law selling "rogue CP" from China. :p However, the DEA always has much bigger fish to fry. ;)

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blame Big Brother. In the US, the FDA defines what substances require a prescription in order to be dispensed by a pharmacy. I've also read this on the FDA's website for animal drugs containing CP: "Federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian."

So aquarium companies/pharmaceuticals and people on ebay are technically breaking the law selling "rogue CP" from China. :p However, the DEA always has much bigger fish to fry. ;)

Agreed. I like to complain and moan but in reality, cutting through whatever red tape it would take for a company like Seachem to sell CP as an OTC fish medication is probably so cost prohibitive, it would make our heads spin. There is probably a much better chance of a company hooking up with a reputable Chinese manufacturer and slightly changing the formula such that the efficacy is still there, but the FDA is bypassed.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked a dozen vet's in town to write my a script and each one was a fat no. Some said they only work with dogs and cats, while others said they only write scripts for animals they see, so I would have to bring in the fish lol...

I finally got a response via email from a vet that sounded like he has an aquarium himself, and would be happy to help me! He also said dback (referring to diamondback) as a good source of CP, and sounds like he used or prescribed it before.. So I guess I get my CP later this week!

The eBay CP i've been using is giving me some mixed results :(

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine a few days ago. I was sort of surprised they packaged in 1 gram containers. I've got no problem with that, I was just expecting all of the powder in one bottle.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine a few days ago. I was sort of surprised they packaged in 1 gram containers. I've got no problem with that, I was just expecting all of the powder in one bottle.

I get 30G tomorrow from dback. Yep, they told me it would be in 1g servings.. interesting !

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I get 30G tomorrow from dback. Yep, they told me it would be in 1g servings.. interesting !
Very odd when I got my 30g a few months ago it was all one container with a plastic scooper included.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very odd when I got my 30g a few months ago it was all one container with a plastic scooper included.

Yup, same experience here. Got mine about a year ago.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everyone getting 30 grams and for so cheap? My vet would give me only enough for my 55 gal QT tank and a little extra for water changes(4.2 grams) total is all she will give me. I have to call her again if I get more fish with ich. And Diamondback is charging me like $47 for 4.2 grams.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is everyone getting 30 grams and for so cheap? My vet would give me only enough for my 55 gal QT tank and a little extra for water changes(4.2 grams) total is all she will give me. I have to call her again if I get more fish with ich. And Diamondback is charging me like $47 for 4.2 grams.

That's Diamondback's minimum charge. I think you can get 15 or so grams for the same price.

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that must be it. Well my vet is a real hard nose and don't think she will give me any extra, which sucks if I can get more for the same price.

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it sucks but you should be happy your vet will even give you some. At least you know it's the 99% you will need in order for it to work

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it true that you can't really accurately test cp while using it? So if you need to add some or take some out are you essentially going by what the fish look like? I also heard that even small amounts of light can degrade the medication over time. Ive used this medication over several years and have gotten mixed results. I always chalked it up to maybe the batch I had at the time was bad, maybe sunlight degraded the CP, etc. I'm kind of a control freak and like to know exactly where I'm at with something and not just guessing. I suppose thats why I went back to copper.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it true that you can't really accurately test cp while using it? So if you need to add some or take some out are you essentially going by what the fish look like? I also heard that even small amounts of light can degrade the medication over time. Ive used this medication over several years and have gotten mixed results. I always chalked it up to maybe the batch I had at the time was bad, maybe sunlight degraded the CP, etc. I'm kind of a control freak and like to know exactly where I'm at with something and not just guessing. I suppose thats why I went back to copper.

Mine is packaged in individual 1 gram opaque packages, presumably to deal with the light issue. Part of the problem with buying on EBay or whatever is you have no idea how it has been stored. Even if it is 99% pure, who knows how it has been stored down the supply chain.

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is packaged in individual 1 gram opaque packages, presumably to deal with the light issue. Part of the problem with buying on EBay or whatever is you have no idea how it has been stored. Even if it is 99% pure, who knows how it has been stored down the supply chain.
Thats great that they do that. I'm sure the purity is exactly where they say it is. I also have bought from Diamond before with the 30 gram packs. Luckily my vet has a 600 gallon system in his lobby so every time I bring my dogs in we shoot the bees about the fish. He's a pretty cool guy actually. I'm more concerned with the ambient light that penetrates through the medicated tank thus degrading the medication to a point where its not "as" affective anymore. I say this because my quarantine is in the garage with pretty low light accept from the windows in the garage door. I only use a really dim light over the tank. Im always analyzing everything and it seems that over time the medication degrades and loses its value. Ive had some fish that clean up nice and then get re-infected two to three weeks down the road. I've added to the max value of cp and it seems that it really is hit and miss. Sometimes its great and other times not so much. I always add the value back in whenever I do anything but again its hard to gauge this stuff with no testing available. You essentially go off of "what looks to be working in the tank". I've actually over dosed on this before for the same reasons mentioned above. Theres just so many variables your guessing on.

They say its easier on the fish and organ systems compared to copper but if you go way to high it will definitely kill the fish. I think if you have a 100 gallon tank for example, you'd dose about 5.64 g-6g. You can re-dose in 7 days if no improvement but thats when it starts to get sketchy. 4 to 5 extra grams can cause auto deficient asphyxiation to death if not caught in time. I just wish there were better measures in place to monitor it. I think it would help through the quarantine process. I also think it all depends as well on how affected the fish are with disease. This is an anti malarial drug and wish the fish industry companies were allowed to come out with some good testing and measures to help with determinations.

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Chloroquine Phosphate a controlled substance in Canada as well? I'm not having luck with our local vets (even some of which specialize in exotic animals) but will be up in Canada next week so figured I would ask. Also, assuming I am able to get a vet locally to write a prescription, does Diamondback have specific amounts they send at a time?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Chloroquine Phosphate a controlled substance in Canada as well? I'm not having luck with our local vets (even some of which specialize in exotic animals) but will be up in Canada next week so figured I would ask. Also, assuming I am able to get a vet locally to write a prescription, does Diamondback have specific amounts they send at a time?

I'm pretty sure CP is regulated in Canada as well. 30 grams is a good amount to get (should last you 2-3 years), but the Rx must be written for that amount.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back