A Question About What to Expect From My Eel As An Adult.

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have a goldentail moray eel and i was wondering what he will be like when he gets bigger. so what made me have this question was me looking at him and realizing that he looks bigger than i remember and more agressive, even prettier. So i was wondering do eels tend to get brighter as they age? And i have already heard they get more aggressive. And how fast is a normal speed for them to grow? because this guy seems to be gettin big fast.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll likely get to full grown within a couple of years, 2' and as thick as my wrist, i actually have skinny wrist for a guy(haha). As far as coloring goes there are 2 color variations that are commonly sold as a goldentail, one brighter that some people with sometimes call a fire coral moray. The 3rd less common variation is the banana eel, pure banana yellow. Obviously its about how you feed him and the individual eel. I remember posting with you before and saying how they are a force when they get mature.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll likely get to full grown within a couple of years, 2' and as thick as my wrist, i actually have skinny wrist for a guy(haha). As far as coloring goes there are 2 color variations that are commonly sold as a goldentail, one brighter that some people with sometimes call a fire coral moray. The 3rd less common variation is the banana eel, pure banana yellow. Obviously its about how you feed him and the individual eel. I remember posting with you before and saying how they are a force when they get mature.
yes we have talked before, i swear he has gotten bigger since then and more of a gold/ white color thats what sparked these questions. Do you recommend any supplements for him he is eating table shrimp right now, but i know he needs the more important vitamins and stuff and i dont know if table shrimp provides that. Do you have a favorite soak for your predatory fish food?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon or Brightwell aminomega is a good addition, thye are basically the same thing. A good mutivit is also a good addition, anyone can argue the best. I like the ingredients of Brightwells, but it iz strong and sometimes some fish dont like it. My old standby is chemivit. Your choice. Also add some silversides, squid, octopus, to hiz diet. Silversides is good because its whole fish with guts and bone.

Pics dont do those guys justice, they are so sparkly and beautiful in person under the right light.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selcon or Brightwell aminomega is a good addition, thye are basically the same thing. A good mutivit is also a good addition, anyone can argue the best. I like the ingredients of Brightwells, but it iz strong and sometimes some fish dont like it. My old standby is chemivit. Your choice. Also add some silversides, squid, octopus, to hiz diet. Silversides is good because its whole fish with guts and bone.

Pics dont do those guys justice, they are so sparkly and beautiful in person under the right light.
Ok thanks alot i will post somepics tonight before 8 sometime i just got new led lights and he looks amazing
love him sooooooooo much

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
64910BAB-10D1-40E2-AD5F-DAEEE0B20395.jpeg
A4C20C82-6410-4E4D-AB80-B428040C41A6.jpeg 014113DD-B07E-46C5-9854-DA28051413C9.jpeg AF339A7C-9356-4105-81B7-D6D84F7518F6.jpeg 9E8F5B64-EF0D-4919-8B57-795350739BB5.jpeg 2D6B5308-8260-46CF-9B41-EDCBC3A04B6B.jpeg E97231E5-D2D7-4E60-B2D2-BC92E20EA711.jpeg 09B28909-FD03-4280-87A2-6D0C1FBCC99E.jpeg

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well sorry I took so long to get pics lol. What do you guys think that white spot is on his tail? A illness?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be bacterial infection, is there anything that could have nipped him, including crabs or other fish. Is the edge ragged or is it just an absence of color? Check your water quality, its easy to get out of hand when feeding an eel. Keep a close eye on it, Medicating eels is a delicate thing, they seem to get internal damage from many meds, and it doesn't show up for a year or so. If it is ragged and starts to progress you may consider Seachem Paraguard, but again started with water quality.

How is he eating and what are feeding him, as nutrition and gut health could also play a role in discoloration. Eels also come in with internal parasites, if he's eating regularly you've had him long enough that's likely not the cause.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be bacterial infection, is there anything that could have nipped him, including crabs or other fish. Is the edge ragged or is it just an absence of color? Check your water quality, its easy to get out of hand when feeding an eel. Keep a close eye on it, Medicating eels is a delicate thing, they seem to get internal damage from many meds, and it doesn't show up for a year or so. If it is ragged and starts to progress you may consider Seachem Paraguard, but again started with water quality.

How is he eating and what are feeding him, as nutrition and gut health could also play a role in discoloration. Eels also come in with internal parasites, if he's eating regularly you've had him long enough that's likely not the cause.
it is smooth not torn or ragged it just is lacking color. i have a dwarf angel fish and she kinda gets in his face sometimes but i dont think she did it. he ate just a few days ago like a pig and he seems to move around a bit, i mean as much as an eel moves. sometimes he turns his head and just rests that way with his head to the side. sometimes he yawns really big too but i think that is normal. i have just hermit crabs maybe some porcelian crabs but i have not seen them since i put them in the tank so i dont know if they are alive. what would make that white spot its kinda scaring me.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oh and also i have just been feeding him table shrimp uncooked. i know thats not the best but i have some supplements coming in the mail. As for water quality i think it is good last time i checked it was around 5ppm but i did a water change when i saw it at that level. would bad water make him lose color? there is not alot of info online about eel illnesses so i dont now what to look for.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah he seems to kinda lay his head on the rocks sometimes it is weird

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad water quality will just exacerbate everything, so if there's a bacterial infection, it will make it worse. But I'm talking about nitrates in the 50ppm or worse range. Some will argue it makes no difference until it gets sky high, I try and keep mine down around 30 or lower. If its not torn looking then it's likey nothing to get worried about yet. I would test my water and start feeding him a variety. Keep an eye on it and if it ever does start to get torn looking, you will than need to take action. OR it could just be normal.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad water quality will just exacerbate everything, so if there's a bacterial infection, it will make it worse. But I'm talking about nitrates in the 50ppm or worse range. Some will argue it makes no difference until it gets sky high, I try and keep mine down around 30 or lower. If its not torn looking then it's likey nothing to get worried about yet. I would test my water and start feeding him a variety. Keep an eye on it and if it ever does start to get torn looking, you will than need to take action. OR it could just be normal.
ok i will do thank you so much for helping me this whole time, you have really helped me. i will check water parameters and do a water change.

Back