A question from #AskBRStv - Hanna Alkalinity reagent bottle size

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a question that is being cross-posted to see if there is an explanation:
Minor gripe here. Anyone else slightly annoyed with the Hanna alk reagent refills? I've got like a dozen of these syringes sitting around that they insist on including, and the bottle is so small that I'm constantly reordering, or getting 4 at a time. I feel like a lot of plastic waste, shipping, and cost could be saved by just offering a big bottle of reagent only.

I don't need a new syringe, tip, instructions, cardboard box etc every time. All this crap is just going to find its way to the ocean at some point.

@Hanna Instruments is there a reason the reagent isn't offered in a larger, "bulk" size? I have my own hunch but want to see if there is an official answer.

Havasuviking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to have a bulk size reagent available. I usually order two at a time. Probably the company wants more profit selling smaller size.

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is oxygen contaminates the reagent over time and selling a larger bottle would increase inconsistent results over the life of the reagent.
I'm of that same line of thinking, exposure since opening, but always nice to get an official answer why.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As soon as I read "larger reagent bottle", my thinking was some sort of contamination after opening, or perhaps a "use by" date after opening(different then the expiration date, but not posted as 99% of users would use it up before then)?

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a question that is being cross-posted to see if there is an explanation:

@Hanna Instruments is there a reason the reagent isn't offered in a larger, "bulk" size? I have my own hunch but want to see if there is an official answer.
We do not offer the reagent in a larger size bottle because the reagent is very pH sensitive and can easily become contaminated. If any saltwater or outside contaminates gets insides the liquid it can alter the pH affecting the results of all tests.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do not offer the reagent in a larger size bottle because the reagent is very pH sensitive and can easily become contaminated. If any saltwater or outside contaminates gets insides the liquid it can alter the pH affecting the results of all tests.

Do you have any suggestions that would minimize contamination and what indication would tell me to toss the reagent out? THANKS: Scott Cardall

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any suggestions that would minimize contamination and what indication would tell me to toss the reagent out? THANKS: Scott Cardall
  1. Minimize the time the bottle is open
  2. Do not use old syringes/tips with your alkalinity reagent, always use the new syringe/tip we provide with new alkalinity reagents.
  3. Be careful dispensing the alkalinity reagent into the cuvette so saltwater do not touch the syringe tip
  4. Do not use the alkalinity reagent syringe for anything other than reagent

jrp1588

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP here from the BRS group. What if you put a dropper tip on it to minimize air exposure, and included a small glass vial with a 1ml graduation? Just spitballing here.

OP
OP
K

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation! I figured it was something along those lines, but knowing the details is always intriguing.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Minimize the time the bottle is open
  2. Do not use old syringes/tips with your alkalinity reagent, always use the new syringe/tip we provide with new alkalinity reagents.
  3. Be careful dispensing the alkalinity reagent into the cuvette so saltwater do not touch the syringe tip
  4. Do not use the alkalinity reagent syringe for anything other than reagent
I know this is an old post but I came across a similar thread that lead me here. Do you suggest cleaning the syringe after each use with RODI water? I'm sure it is overkill but that is the technique that I use after each test to ensure no contaminants in the syringe itself before the next use. However after seeing this post, I'm not so sure that I should be doing so. I personally have not had much of an issue but have noticed I get a stray test or two that seems to be "off".

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back