A quick look at feeding "SPS" : What they need and how to give it to them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re a regular reader of my blogs and have attended my presentations before, you know that I’m pretty much obsessed with feeding corals- in particular, “SPS” corals. Specifically, Acropora. The obsession arose after I came to the (dramatic) realization that I actually had to feed the darned things in order for them to grow and attain beautiful colors! No stony coral is entirely photosynthetic, to my knowledge. They derive nutrition from other food sources, some of which we as aquarists can provide directly. This is not such a bad thing, because interacting with your corals is pretty fun!

"SPS" corals are what those egghead scientist people call “mixotrophic”, which is a really fancy way of saying that they use photosynthetic capabilities throughout the production of symbiotic algae called zoxanthellae, as well as chowing down on other organisms. The zooxanthellae utilize CO2 and other substances that the corals really don’t need, and in turn, provide sugars and oxygen that coral use to grow. A high percentage- but not all- of the corals’ energy needs are met through this process. Ahh, cool!

UC3inch-bali-mari-acro-sp-highlighter-green-78.jpg

"I'll have an order of light, zooplankton, and a dissolved organic matter chaser, please"

Oh, let’s just touch on everyone’s favorite subject- aquarium lighting, for a second- as it relates to “SPS” coral nutrition…Since “SPS” corals do use light to power their zooxanthellae, providing high quality light is super important. We’re not going to go into Sanjay’s turf and talk about who makes the best light; we’ll just say that you should employ adequate lighting for the corals that you wish to keep, and you should make sure that your water is clear enough to transmit light effectively, and that your lights are not excessively shielded by aquarium hoods, covers, or dirty protective glass covers. Keep stuff clean! You pay way too much for those fancy lights to not let them do their job effectively. Yes, this is the first time you’ve probably ever read about cleaning your hood off in an article about coral feeding.

We’ve talked about it before, and I’ll mention it once again- don’t obsess with keeping your water sterile…That thinking is soooo 1990’s it’s not even funny. It’s not necessary. If you still think that way, you might as well just start wearing flannel again and dusting off your Nirvana CDs..Okay, you could dust ‘em off anyways, but still. Wiping your water clean of all nitrate and phosphate is a really bad idea, as these materials are vital for metabolism in “SPS” corals. If you get too obsessed with lab-grade aquarium water, you can literally starve your corals to death in an attempt to keep them “happy.”

I’m now going to go on record as having said that I have changed my thoughts about protein skimmers and skimming over the years, especially since I’ve become involved in the commercial propagation of corals. I’ll say it: I think we over-skim our systems. I love skimmers, and I think they are a vital tool in helping provide excellent water quality for closed systems. However, good skimmers run on a continuous basis can effectively strip large quantities of dissolved organic matter out of the water. That’s organic matter that corals can utilize for growth. I have become an advocate of “frequent” skimming (like, a few days a week, or perhaps daily at night, to help remove CO2 and moderate day/night pH swings), as opposed to “continuous” skimming.

Oh, I’m straying (imagine that?)…The point is that having some dissolved organic material in the water is pretty important for coral nutrition and growth. That’s why you’ll hear reefers talking about “Vodka Dosing” (yeah, I laughed when I heard it the first time, too. I was thinking about endorsements: MACNA Presented by Absolut”, or “Absolut Reef Geek”…whatever..digressing again). The theory behind dosing is that Vodka provides a source of carbon to the corals, which can become a growth-limiting factor in coral husbandry.

skimmate_12hrs_b.jpg

Remove this stuff 24/7/365, and all of those poor little Acros are gonna be REALLY hungry!

The take-away here: Provide your “SPS” corals with a source of carbon and dissolved organic matter, such as nitrate. Don't take it all out by hyper-skimming. How to best accomplish this? Stock with fish. Feed the fish. Let them poop. Corals like fish poop. Yup. Besides, watching your prized tang poop in your reef is at least as interesting as adding a shot of Vodka every day, right? Maybe? Ok…maybe not, but you get the idea…

2012-08-02 05.17.19.jpg

We get by with a little help from our friends...

And of course, amino acids play a very important role in coral health and in particular, their colors. ‘SPS” corals benefit from amino acid dosing, as it prevents them from bleaching, and spurs the production of pigments that help regulate the amount of light they receive- kinda like natural “sunblock.” Of further interest is the fact that scientists have noted that corals uptake amino acids during daylight hours, as this uptake is stimulated by light. As Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating..."

Finally, and certainly not the least important: Intentionally and directly feed your corals. Feed the heck out of ‘em. Feed them every day if you can. Sure, use some logic here. Do it when the circulation pumps are off, and do it during the “dark” hours on your reef, when they are in “feeding” mode…

What to feed your “SPS” corals? I am a huge fan of things like oyster eggs, Cyclop-eeze, and other very small zooplankton-based feeds. There are quite a few great commercially available coral feeds out there…just ask any reefer!

UC1inch-uc-whisker-millie-42-inventory-3.jpg

There's a reason why this coral is so "hairy"...it's a "chow hound!"

Remember, feeding corals is a multiple-pronged approach. You can allow some organic material to be produced by fishes, keep some of it in your system by not going bonkers with your skimmer, and by direct feeding prepared foods to your corals at the appropriate time of day. And don’t fogey that you should make sure that other environmental parameters, such as the temperate, calcium level, and alkalinity are stable. Don’t obsess over numbers, obsess over stability within a given range! All of the great coral food in the world won’t help if your water chem is bouncing around like a 14 year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert! Keep it stable.

justin-bieber-the-key-perfume-650-430.jpg

Don't blame "The Biebs" for your unstable water chem! It's not his fault. Seriously.

And change water…Yep, even with my new-found love of “frequent skimming”, I still will implore you to perform regular water changes, as they will remove gross particulate matter, dissolved metabolites not utilized by (or even produced by) the corals themselves. Also, major and minor trace elements, all of which are important to “SPS” corals, are replenished at the correct levels when you perform regular water changes with a high quality synthetic salt mix.

SO that’s my “more than two cents” on “SPS” coral feeding. Bottom line- Do it. DO it frquently. Do it well.

I am 100% certain that all of you highly experienced reefer peeps out there will have lots of pearls of wisdom to add on to this little rant, so please…have at it!

Go love your reef, feed your corals, and…Until next time…

Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

UC3inch-bali-mari-acro-sp-highlighter-green-78.jpg

skimmate_12hrs_b.jpg

UC1inch-uc-whisker-millie-42-inventory-3.jpg

2012-08-02 05.17.19.jpg

justin-bieber-the-key-perfume-650-430.jpg

Last edited:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're pumping out the great articles. Ever consider writing a book? There's definitely a market for good saltwater books. Thanks for the good read.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning lots, thank you n_n
It'll be a while before we have wifi back, but I have a little bit of data to play with on our plan - and what better way to spend it?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're pumping out the great articles. Ever consider writing a book? There's definitely a market for good saltwater books. Thanks for the good read.

Thanks for the kind words..writing is almost therapeutic for me, especially after the recent death of my father..It really threw me for a loop, and cranking out this column has helped me stay sane some days. Part of my morning ritual, just like my workouts...I've tried to keep it as "un-Unique Corals-centric" as possible for the most part, but I'm still gonna sneak in a few plugs for UC here and there. After all, it's in the UC forum..LOL

I've considered writing a book...Not sure, in all honesty, how much of a market there could be. Tony's (Vargas') book was the first major reef book published in years. The run sold out and the first edition will not be printed again. My writing style is a bit "raw" or semi-conversive, a bit opinionated, and not always backed up with citations...and I am not sure thatlends itself well to a book form. On the other hand, a lot of people have mentioned it, so maybe it's worth exploring in some format...If people want it, maybe it's worth doing! Not sure what I'd call it: "Reefkeeping for the Perpetually Frustrated", or "Everything that I thought I knew about reefkeping was wrong" (MY next MACNA talk title!)...dunno. I doubt Fossa and Nillsen or Sprung and Delbeek have much to worry about, but I suppose I could at least put together something mildly entertaining in book form...

Thanks as always for the support!

Scott

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly loved the read, I stopped trying to keep my water steril and focused on feeding daily, and feeding plenty for the fish / livestock I have. I then focused on getting more fish! I found that a water change once a week kept my parameters stable, feeding once daily kept the fish happy and healthy and just like magic.....my corals (mostly sps) freaking exploded with color and growth.

I couldnt be happier with my tank now that I am not trying to keep my water "lab grade" clean. I found that getting a skimmer slightly underrated for your system is a benefit for this reason. I use a ASM mini-g which in my opinion is good for a 50 gallon tank, I run it on my 90 gallon total volume (75 display) and it skims but does not strip the water of too much organics. I also don't have to worry about skimmer timers, or anything like that.

O and not to brand name drop or anything, I notice a massive feeding response to Rod's Coral Food. If anyone is wondering a good choice for acro food. Its a mix of all sorts of stuff, expensive and not easy to find local but well worth the purchase!

Keep the tank stocked
Keep the fish pooping
Keep the corals happy :)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly loved the read, I stopped trying to keep my water steril and focused on feeding daily, and feeding plenty for the fish / livestock I have. I then focused on getting more fish! I found that a water change once a week kept my parameters stable, feeding once daily kept the fish happy and healthy and just like magic.....my corals (mostly sps) freaking exploded with color and growth.

I couldnt be happier with my tank now that I am not trying to keep my water "lab grade" clean. I found that getting a skimmer slightly underrated for your system is a benefit for this reason. I use a ASM mini-g which in my opinion is good for a 50 gallon tank, I run it on my 90 gallon total volume (75 display) and it skims but does not strip the water of too much organics. I also don't have to worry about skimmer timers, or anything like that.

O and not to brand name drop or anything, I notice a massive feeding response to Rod's Coral Food. If anyone is wondering a good choice for acro food. Its a mix of all sorts of stuff, expensive and not easy to find local but well worth the purchase!

Keep the tank stocked
Keep the fish pooping
Keep the corals happy :)

Excellent points! And I love the mantra..."Keep the fish pooping" is like an instant classic!

Scott

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read...what commercial amino acid supplement do you personally recommend?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read Tony Vargas' book and it is in my collection along with most of the other prominent reads. No offense at all to Tony Vargas, but seems to me if his book is such a hit yours could be too. Your writing style is more in line with Anthony Calfo's. I enjoy his books because of the mixed-in humor. Although his books were written a long time ago, they are still very relevant today.

I can guarantee you'd sell at least one book - me.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd buy it, too - if you stick to your current writing style, it would be both highly entertaining and extremely informative.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read Tony Vargas' book and it is in my collection along with most of the other prominent reads. No offense at all to Tony Vargas, but seems to me if his book is such a hit yours could be too. Your writing style is more in line with Anthony Calfo's. I enjoy his books because of the mixed-in humor. Although his books were written a long time ago, they are still very relevant today.

I can guarantee you'd sell at least one book - me.

Well, heck, that's pretty cool..Guaranteed one sale! Thanks! Interestingly enough, it was Anthony (and Bob Fenner) who actually mentored me early on in my fishy writing and speaking "career." Anthony was really the first to interject his personality and humor into the very staid and stuffy reef writing world, and I was an early fan. Bob is- well- Bob- and is a wonderful speaker, great writer, and has pretty much forgotten more than anyone else in the fish world will ever know. Tony's book is great...I know a bunch of people said that he did little more than collate questionnaires from other reefers into a book, but it went deeper than that. He is a gifted, warm communicator that touches many people, and is a dear friend. And he's been kicking my butt about writing a book, too! That being said, I think if the interest is there, maybe it's time for me to write a kick-*** book! LOL Just have to figure out where to go with it! LOL

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd buy it, too - if you stick to your current writing style, it would be both highly entertaining and extremely informative.

Hmm..I'm sensing a trend here...Maybe a book is a good idea after all... :smile:

Thanks for the kind words...I appreciate the support that I've received from those of you in the R2R community, and I'm happy that UC has benefitted, too!

-Scott

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't do a book, maybe putting a sticky at the top of your thread where you can organize all the links to all these great articles for a quick reference guide.

cryptics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should definetly write a book. I am just trying SPS now for the first time and have found your posts invaluable. You could even self publish through Amazon or something. I can imagine finding a publisher can be difficult and you wouldn't have the issue of the first run selling out then not printing anymore.

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott, great write up, I will also buy your book. When I see a new thread from you, I know I will learned something new. I have a question regarding AcroPower, where do you recommend the best place to dose, in the display tank or in the sump.
Lee

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back