A quick product review: AutoAqua Smart Skimmer Security

SJ Blane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the AutoAqua Smart Skimmer Security (SSS) controller last week and thought I would share my initial impressions since there are no other reviews of this product on R2R.
IMG_0447.jpg

A couple of weeks ago my skimmer pump died after nearly 5 years of use. I replaced the pump but was having difficulty getting the new one dialed in. Consequently, my skimmer cup overflowed a few times filling the floor of my aquarium stand with water. I could just turn my skimmer off for the duration of my trip, but I prefer to have it running.

While purchasing some other supplies on BRS, I came across the SSS for $59.99. It advertises a magnetically mounted optical sensor that sticks to the side of your skimmer collection cup. You plug your skimmer into the included switch. When the liquid in the cup reaches the height of the sensor, the skimmer power is automatically turned off. Thinking that this would be a simple solution to my problem, I ordered it.

When the SSS arrived, installation took just a few minutes. The sensor sticks to the outside of the skimmer cup with a small disk going on the inside.
IMG_0448.jpg

I plugged the included switch into my power strip and the skimmer cord into the switch. Initially, nothing happened. My skimmer was not switched on. I thought that the sensor was not installed correctly. After fiddling with it for several minutes, I read in the directions that there is a 5 minute delay in the switch when it is plugged in. Apparently, this is to prevent false alarms due to power outages. After five minutes, my skimmer switched on. Next, I purposely overflowed my skimmer to test the product. Once the water level rose to cover the disk on the inside of the cup, the skimmer switched off and the switch emitted a continuous beeping sound and began blinking. Resetting the SSS requires the sensor to be removed from the skimmer cup so it can be emptied and the switch to be reset (turned off and back on).

Summary:

Pros:
- The SSS does exactly what it advertises: Turns off your skimmer, preventing the cup from overflowing causing potential damage and water loss.
-Very simple installation. I don't have much high tech gear on my tank in an effort to keep things simple. I liked that this was just plug and play.
-The audible alarm that this sounds is very loud, alerting me that my skimmer has been switched off.
-The sensor mounts firmly to the skimmer cup.
-The instructions are brief but clearly written with helpful illustrations.

Cons:
-When emptying the skimmer cup, the sensor must be removed and the switch must be reset. I didn't find this step to be that inconvenient, although it is an extra step that must be performed every time water touches the sensor or the sensor is taken off the cup. (Note: If your skimmer has a drain at the bottom, you could just drain the collected liquid into another container, avoiding having to remove the cup.

My initial impression is that the SSS is well worth 60 bucks for anyone that has experienced issues with or is worried about their skimmer cup overflowing. I hope this review will be helpful. Please feel free to ask any questions or let me know if there is anything that I can clarify.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review! I was reading through and didn't even think about having to take the sensor off when you cleaned the cup!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These simple, effective tools are awesome.

I looked at their products a while back, looking to add a layer to my direct RO/DI connected ATO system. Ended up wiring something myself, using a motorized ball valve and a float switch. Still, I _like_ these stand alone, simple security devices. Great idea.

OP
OP
SJ Blane

SJ Blane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great review! I was reading through and didn't even think about having to take the sensor off when you cleaned the cup!
Thanks! I didn't consider that either until I started using it. For me it's definitely not a deal-breaker.

OP
OP
SJ Blane

SJ Blane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These simple, effective tools are awesome.

I looked at their products a while back, looking to add a layer to my direct RO/DI connected ATO system. Ended up wiring something myself, using a motorized ball valve and a float switch. Still, I _like_ these stand alone, simple security devices. Great idea.
I wish I was handy enough to build a device like that. But I agree, these simple devices are a nice add on, especially for those of us who have chosen not to utilize full system controllers.

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these that I have been using for a couple of weeks now and have had nothing but trouble with it and false alarms. The other day I went to bed and there was about a 1/4 inch of liquid in the skimmer cup, I woke up to the alarm going off on it and the skimmer cup still setting at the close to the same amount of liquid in the cup. This has happened to me now several times, the sensor was not close at all to the liquid but the alarm is going off and the skimmer is off. I would rather have it do this then fail to go off if it gets full but the false alarms are really annoying to deal with and it makes it hard to trust this.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<snip>have had nothing but trouble with it and false alarms.</snip>
I'm very sorry to see this. I have yet to purchase any of AutoAqua's stuff, but I _really_ like the ideas they're coming up with. If they can't figure out how to do it reliably, and I do mean DEAD Reliable... they won't be around long.

SJ Blane said:
I wish I was handy enough to build a device like that.
If you're savvy enough to operate a test kit... you are. It's just not that hard. I was criticized in another thread by somebody wanting step by step instructions, wiring diagrams, photos of the process... Dude. It's 3 components. Each has 2 wires. Electrical flow runs from power supply, through float switch, through motorized ball valve, and back to power supply. Experiment a little... have some confidence. Basic low voltage electrical is simple, reasonably safe, and exceedingly useful!

OP
OP
SJ Blane

SJ Blane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these that I have been using for a couple of weeks now and have had nothing but trouble with it and false alarms. The other day I went to bed and there was about a 1/4 inch of liquid in the skimmer cup, I woke up to the alarm going off on it and the skimmer cup still setting at the close to the same amount of liquid in the cup. This has happened to me now several times, the sensor was not close at all to the liquid but the alarm is going off and the skimmer is off. I would rather have it do this then fail to go off if it gets full but the false alarms are really annoying to deal with and it makes it hard to trust this.
That is not good news. Sorry you are having to deal with that, what a pain. I will definitely share if I encounter similar problems.

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not good news. Sorry you are having to deal with that, what a pain. I will definitely share if I encounter similar problems.
Hopefully mine is just a fluke, I really want it to work good, I bought it from Amazon and I'm tempted to have them send me a replacement unit.

Talo’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t used the skimmer one but I have the temp one on a qt tank and the level sensors in my ATO reservoir and as a high level sensor for my ato in my nano. Really like this product line. Easy to use.

OP
OP
SJ Blane

SJ Blane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully mine is just a fluke, I really want it to work good, I bought it from Amazon and I'm tempted to have them send me a replacement unit.
You should see if they would send you a new one. I haven't had a single false alarm yet and my skimmer cup is pretty foamy and disgusting.

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see if they would send you a new one. I haven't had a single false alarm yet and my skimmer cup is pretty foamy and gross.
Yeah mine is very sensitive I was just under my tank and I bumped the skimmer and the alarm on this started beeping, the water didn't even splash on it and the sensor was not even wet. I've sent a message to the seller but I'm 2 days out of their 30 day return period so we will see what happens.

OP
OP
SJ Blane

SJ Blane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to a add a quick update on this product. Since I wrote my original review two weeks ago, I am still very pleased. No overflows or false alarms so far (knock on wood).

H2Ocooled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get my unit replaced with a new one and it seems to be working a lot better now. I have not had any false alarms.

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I had the same issue with multiple false alarms every day--have just requested a replacement though Amazon.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! I’ll be investing in one of these when I’ve got my skimmer up and running

OP
OP
SJ Blane

SJ Blane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still recommend this sensor. It has performed perfectly since the day I got it and I don't think I would operate my skimmer without it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back