A R2R Care Spotlight: "Zoanthid Eating Spiders"

ConcreteReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dealt with these buggers... Quarantine/Manual removal was the only way I could get rid of them... They only went after a single type of Zoo (safecrackers)- I tried to "infect" different types by putting a small colony next to the infested colony-- They weren't interested?

Manual removal-
DSCN0710.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SICK, but cool pic! Thanks for sharing.

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting rid of them a couple years ago through continuous hydrogen peroxide dips. andddd started throwing away any frag that I found them on. it was a nightmare, but through continually dipping all my corals I got rid of them.

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly...the only thing I found to get rid of them was freshwater mixed with hydrogen peroxide dips. and I would say it didn't even kill the spiders, but it made them "come out running." and then I was able to scrape them off with a scalpel.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 weeks ago I found one of these on a zoa I was dipping with coral rx. My thoughts were that since coral rx killed it or maybe stunned it that it would be safe to put in tank. I didnt see anything after inspecting it but Just watched a youtube of someone pulling them out and I couldnt see them until he had the spider completely removed! good hiders!

I should have thrown away this utter chaos frag! After placing it in my tank it fell off and was in the sand bed almost burried for about 3 days before I noticed it missing. I have attributed the lack of light to why it hasnt fully opened! It was open when I first had it in the tank but its is just now coming back to life! It does look shrunk up and not all the polyps have survived. I am wondering if I should dip all my zoas now! I bought about 12 more after that one and dipped them all and saw nothing so kind of scares me to dip again espially since one is a grand master krakatoa and one a speckled krakatoa so would hate to lose the pricey one like those from another dip to soon!

Should I play a wait and see or does anyone have an opinion on what to do? I now some said that in his case the spider preferred the one zoa and not any others! I am definitely going to dip the utter chaos again! It will probably kill it since its just bouncing back but I only paid 19.99 for it anyway so no big loss and worth it if it can prevent a whole infestation!

Does anyone know if there are spiders that are solid white to clear and almost microscopic in size . I though I saw one in the used dipwater but it was very different then this creepy thing, may have been some stringy detritus or something. It definitely had no color and from a hugely famous vendor that starts with a w!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back