A R2R Reef Spotlight: Bring the Reef Home By Joseph Chi

shih87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With such high PAR numbers even on the sandbed, I'm wondering also what corals you started with, and how you acclimated them to the lighting without them bleaching. The AP-700s are clearly overkill here with numbers like that. Nice tank though. The colors don't pop like a full Zeo system tank but they are decent nonetheless.

I usually just pull higher of my light fixture since it is quite easy when having a power winch, then every other days lower down a bit and take about 2 weeks to back to normal position. The AP700 is basically supplement for two sides which ATI not able to cover a 90 cm wide tank.

shih87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and very inspiring setup. Love your lighting setup and the par value it give. I have the same idea for awhile now to run 3 radion with my 8x54watt ati but the cost for 3 radion is just too much to afford sadly lol.

Go for it.... As long as coral return positive to you, then you will say "I should do it earlier" ;-)

shih87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unbelievably beautiful and humbling.... I can only hope to have your skills someday!

You are too nice. R2R and many Youtube video help to fast grow skills in this hobby.

shih87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nicely executed - a tank worthy of being featured!

Very cool to watch the video, and to see the tank unfolding over time, liverock to frags to adolescent colonies to mature growth needing to be pruned and managed.

You've managed well.

~Bruce

Thanks. Many of my friends love the picture of July 2016 most, which is the tank with 4 day blackout for algae treatment. Anyhow, it remind me tank performance indeed go up and down, and how lucky I can still keep them.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking tank and awesome setup! What bulbs are you running on the ATI fixture?

shih87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all,

Thanks your kind words. I tried to use multi-quote to reply but it keep fail me not sure why. Anyhow, appreciate all your encourage.

Cheers,

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!! So two questions.

1) What is that starfish, I didnt see it listed?

2) love your use of chromis. what is your experience with them? I always add a bunch knowing a good amount of them will persish. Eventually it levels out and they population steadies, and always in odd numbers. How many did you start with to get to the number you have today?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of thought went into your setup, I enjoyed reading your article. Beautiful tank and love that Starfish!

shih87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!! So two questions.

1) What is that starfish, I didnt see it listed?

2) love your use of chromis. what is your experience with them? I always add a bunch knowing a good amount of them will persish. Eventually it levels out and they population steadies, and always in odd numbers. How many did you start with to get to the number you have today?

Sorry, I don't know its name ;-(

Regarding Chromis, I do heard it will end at odd numbers but never really count. I did experience the number drop when my tank was young and not lots of large coral colonies such as Staghorn coral for them to swim in and to hide, but since 2017, I found it become easier to keep them in large number. Not sure I feed fish three times a day help or not.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truely an inspiring tank and we'll written article with just enough info so as to not make it seem like a chemistry class.

Surely a home reef that will hopefully inspire newbies who are contemplating joining the community, to take the chance.

I for 1 compare my newly set up tank and look foreward to what it could be as opposed to what it is now.

Thank you.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back