A R2R Spotlight "Acanthastrea lordhowensis" (Aussie Style)

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We decided to change things up for this new Spotlight by featuring a care guide for Acanthastrea lordhowensis, especially the Australian kind. :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acans have recently become a hot commodity for reefkeepers do in part to the introduction of the Australian Acanthastrea. The genus Acanthastrea (Mussidae family) contains several different species which are all part of the generic LPS (large polyp stony) coral category. At times it can be difficult to correctly identify the species type with just a visual inspection.

Enough of my hot air, let's talk Acans! I don't have any of these beauties so input from you guys will be needed. If this spotlight draws enough interest we may do a few more spotlights outside the Zoanthid domain.

Acanthastrea lordhowensis

Acan_Lord.jpg

Lighting:
- Australian Acans do best under med/high-high light situations. These are shallow reef corals so their tolerance to light will vary. Keep in mind that acclimation may be necessary when initially introducing corals to your tank.

Flow:
- Australian Acans do best under medium flow. Medium flow is considered flow that will not disturb the coral or cause the flesh to peel off.

Feeding:
- Acans will feed on most meaty foods when given the chance. Target feeding (with powerheads off) is the best way to feed these corals as their tentacles may not be out during feeding time. When the lights are on Acans may extend feeding tentacles when they sense food present in the water column. When the lights are off the tentacles are extended and ready for feeding.

Origins:
- Acanthastrea lordhowensis
Acan_lord_map.jpg

*Photo from whelk.aims.gov.au
http://whelk.aims.gov.au/coralsearch/html/001-100/Species pages/4.htm

Growth Rate:
- Growth rate increases when feeding/light/flow requirements are met. If you allow this coral to be exclusively photosynthetic then growth will be slower.

Rarity:
-

ID Confusions:
-

Other info:
-

For additional photos and drooling, check out this Club-LPS thread started by another Aussie Collector:
marvin_thread.jpg

Aussie lords thread

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Feel free to comment on past Club-Zoa Spotlights:

Club-Zoa Zoanthid/Paly spotlights:
Variable Star

Pyro’s Envy

PPRPE

Pink Elephants

Ruby Red

Red People Eater

Mean Green

Eagle Eyes

Purple People Eaters

Armageddon

Purple Death

Armor of Gods

Nuclear Green

Club-Zoa Care Spotlights:
Shipping Methods Revisited

Shipping Methods

Zoa Dip

Zoanthid Anatomy

Last edited:
OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody!

Keep in mind that I don't personally own any of these Acan's so please post info along with your pics if you could. I'll make edits to the information accordingly. Thank you,

Luciano

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their growth rate is pretty decent I'd say... they don't like too much flow in my tank, and they don't really mind the high light. They have kept their colors pretty well. Here are few pics. They are under 250w 14k phoenix with no actinic supplementation.

IMG_5464.jpg

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_5460.jpg

IMG_5466.jpg

Aussie1.jpg

pinkacancopy-1.jpg

greenacan2copy.jpg

efishnsea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my Lord, med flow and light seems to keep mine happy!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow start to this spotlight, but I have updated the information with information provided above, and in our LPS section. Let me know if I have made any errors in my updates.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luciano,

Let me work on getting some better pics (thought it would be easier with good camera, but need a better lens and a tripod, apparently). I've got something to contribute here:). It may be after this weekend, but I'll try before.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome spotlight... :)

by far, the Aussie lords are the hottest coral in the market... I hope that the collection will continue for another couple of months...

there's so much to learn about these guys.. I'm just glad that CZ has some of the best collectors of Aussies and are willing to help on finding out the best ways to care for them and share them here... there's some that are participating right now on how to keep the awesome coloration of these corals...

keep sharing the pics everyone... :D

RandyO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few Aussie Acans I received in May 2007

8673_20070514010232.jpg

8673_20070515025253.jpg

8673_20070514123011.jpg

8673_20070515025420.jpg

8673_20070515030433.jpg

After having these morphs for over 3 months now, I've noticed a few things.

Some of them like lower light. I've noticed the Orange morph has turned closer to red now and I've kept it under lower light. A friend put the same morph under really bright halides, and it turned even more red. That makes me think if I kept my piece under even lower light, it might be more orange.

I've also noticed they are very tolerant of high temperatures. My system has been creeping up to 84 degrees F on many days, and the lords don't seem affected. Though I do think it's possible that higher temps can cause them to loose some color.

And then I've seen some pieces color up under brighter light

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luciano,

Let me work on getting some better pics (thought it would be easier with good camera, but need a better lens and a tripod, apparently). I've got something to contribute here:). It may be after this weekend, but I'll try before.

Thank you. I look forward to seeing your pics!

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, Gary... this thread is a couple of months old, but your acans are more than worth a look. :D

Where are those pics!?!? :D

Brandon

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one of a few I got from Gary... I'm hoping to get a few more come January... ;)

Aussie6.jpg

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't taken any new ones, but not much has changed;). Here are some for the last batch of pictures with the macro. I've only got one or two 'rainbow's, but all but about two of them are pretty cool to me. Still getting used to the lens/camera. If it changes the picture as much as it does when I have it Auto correct Level, I've got to have the setting wrong...
FTS-acan021.jpg

T5-Acans01.jpg

T5-Acans05.jpg

T5-Acans06.jpg

T5-Acans08.jpg

T5-Acans07.jpg

T5-Acans09.jpg

T5-Acans10.jpg

T5-Acans12.jpg

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are kept in direct low light, and medium to medium-high flow. Ive found that this is the best over location for them.

Also please note: If its a RAINBOW variety, keep in low light. Give it too much light, and it will more times than not turn totaly red, or atleast lose most of its subtle colors. Never to return i might ad.

10d.jpg

11d.jpg

12d.jpg

13d.jpg

14d.jpg

15d.jpg

16d.jpg

17d.jpg

18d.jpg

1d.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Junior you FREAK!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are kept in direct low light, and medium to medium-high flow. Ive found that this is the best over location for them.

Also please note: If its a RAINBOW variety, keep in low light. Give it too much light, and it will more times than not turn totaly red, or atleast lose most of its subtle colors. Never to return i might ad.
when you say direct low light, what does that mean? are they just on the sand bed? how deep is your tank? etc.... thanks in advance JR for the info in helping the community keep the true colors of these beauties...

also, do you dose anything to help out with their coloration?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back