A R2R Spotlight: "Armageddon"

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this took so long but I have been trying to learn Java in addition to a serious deadline at work.

Armageddon

spotlightpic.jpg

- A Palyothoa whose name is well known around the Zoa Community. This brightly colored strain is characterized by its shocking orange rings around the mouth and edge of the oral disc. In some strains these two orange areas are divided by a brown ring. Another distinctive characteristic is the white mouth. There is a lot of information provided about this color strain on zoaid, including an amazing morph that occured when a strain was traded to another reefer.
Armageddon Zoaid Link .

This color strain was named by Bryan of Pure Captive.

*** I don't have these so feedback is needed ***

Lighting:
- Armageddon zoas can handle a medium to high height under PC lights, but should be started low (or shaded) under PC lights. Like with most zoas Armageddons will display and grow differently with higher light.

Flow:
- Armageddons like a medium flow tank. Meaning that they would rather have their skirts moving in the flow then not. This is pretty standard for most zoas so make sure your flow doesn't cause them to close, which would be too high of a flow.

Feeding:
- Readily accept food, from small foods like cyclopeeze to larger foods like whole mysis shrimp.

Origins:
-

Rarity:
- Probably one of the harder strains to find, with high prices charged on websites selling them. One factor to its rarity is false identification.

ID Confusions:
- Often confused with Armor of God type palys, Armageddons have a more distinctive ring structure and a color that leans more towards bright orange.

Other info:
- This color strain was originally named by Bryan of Pure Captive. The reason behind the name is suggested by the following comment on Zoaid
Story Behind Zoa: A planet is blowing up in the center of this paly - if you look close enough... Armageddon!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to comment on past Club-Zoa Spotlights:

Mean Green

Eagle Eyes

Purple People Eaters

Zoanthid Anatomy

Last edited:
OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll update this thread when needed, or when I find some time.

Don't forget, pictures and info are need to keep this Spotlight going.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine seem to be more pink.

originalarm4.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ummm I guess 2 months maybe. It grew out 4 new polyps, but I fragged off all but 2 for trades..I plan to let them grow for a few months now.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AWESOME!

I will add that they readily accept food, from small foods like cyclopeeze to larger foods like whole mysis shrimp. They are also relatively fast growers, and in my tank produce around three new polyps a month. There are lots of new "Armor Of God" type palys becoming available, and somehow these have gotten referred to as Armageddons too, even though they are quite different.

Here's some pics of mine, and in the first pic you can see a larger frag of the mistaken ID Armageddons in the top right:
126_2661.jpg

When I first got them:
122_2231.jpg

After almost 2 months:
125_2544.jpg

Jon

Last edited:
OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have updated the post, but still need more info on lighting variations and if there is a flow preference or not.

BTW, if Bryan is out there I hope he can give us some insight on naming or origins.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a colony of Armegeddon I picked up from WHoDah over a year ago or so. I target feed it DT's Oyster Eggs which I started because I think WHoDah told me it works well for him...and it works very well for me also. I keep mine about 8" or so away from my PC lights (I am in the process of updating the lights to MH) They get medium flow from a slew of MJs hooked up to a wavemaker. Here are a couple pics of them!

9.jpg

l.jpg

sr71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
l.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Stix your Armageddon looks over crowded, time to frag them pm me for my address. J/K Very nice

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have, there has been debate over if it is armaggeddon or AoG.
You be the judge.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c25/epidemic420/P1010124-1.jpg

I believe those are neither...

looks like they came from the same batch as the awesome pinks that are coming out this year.. New Alameda calls them Devils Armor.. the true AoG from Mr. Ugly don't have any breaks on the lines...

http://www.newalameda.com/coral/zoo/devilsarmor.jpg

very nice nonetheless.. :)

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks just like those with the green mouth and all, but I have had this coral for over a year and I got it from another member of the local reef club who had had it for a while. Thanks though! I have been trying to nial it down for a while. Definitly not pink though.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have Herman Reds or pics of them? From the few photos I've seen they seem like a more solid red colored morph of Armageddon. Of course they could look much different in person due to polyp size and all that.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back