A R2R Spotlight: "Eagle Eyes"

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are starting a new series at Club-Zoa that spotlights on certain zoanthid strains. What we are looking for is any information you may have regarding that zoa strain. So possible information includes, your source (if possible), where you keep it in your tank (height), flow, do you feed, PICS, and any other characteristics that others may not know.

What I will do is keep updating this first post to reflect new information that others supply. This will keep users from having to hunt down information through all the posts. So consider this first post your Zoanthid Strain ID card. Now on to the serious stuff...

Our first Club-Zoa Spotlight is going to be on a classic

Eagle Eyes

eagle-eyes.jpg

-A classic in the zoa world, this color strain is characterized by their light colored (greyish) center, orange disc, and green skirt. Disc color can vary according to the amount of light, with the orange becoming a reddish color in high light situations.

Lighting:
Eagle Eyes can tolerate a wide range of lighting, but colors show best with more lighting. Tank placement can range from middle to high up in the water column.

Flow:
Similar to a lot of other zoanthids, Eagle Eyes do best with a medium flow. Medium flow can be best described as enough to move the skirt, but not enough to disturb it into closing.

Feeding:
Eagle Eyes do not show any signs of feeding.

Origins:
Vietnam

Rarity:
Not very difficult to find from other collectors but may be difficult to find in stock at a local fish store.

ID Confusions:
Often people confuse "Dragon Eyes" with Eagle Eyes, but the easiest way to distinguish the two is the clearly defined center of the Eagle Eyes strain.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine up about mid-way directly under 250w MH 14 k. They are in mod-high flow and have never showed a feeding response....Here is a old picture of them the only differance is I have fragged almost all of the palys that are mixed in this picture under actinic and the total light system.....
DSCN9736.jpg

DSCN9698.jpg

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Azurel,

hope you don't mind me borrowing your pic. The last picture I had up there was borrowed from an online source. I'll update the information with more feedback.

Thank You Azurel for being the first.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An oldie, but definitely one every collection couldn't be complete without. In my tank, the piece grown closer to the light gets a more reddish orange ring around the eye and a darker green skirt like the pic below:
122_2249.jpg

Under lower light, mine tend to get much brighter orange center rings and a more intensely yellow skirt like the pics posted above.

A side note from my experiences with this strain is that the "morphs" or "sports" it sends out are usually nearly identical with what is commonly called Radioactive Dragon Eyes and vice versa, also seen in the pic posted above. I find it to be a very fast growing zoa, but also the first one to show signs of zoa pox before an outbreak in my tank.

Jon

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jonbar1 said:
An oldie, but definitely one every collection couldn't be complete without. In my tank, the piece grown closer to the light gets a more reddish orange ring around the eye and a darker green skirt like the pic below:
122_2249.jpg

Jon

Jon,

This is exactly the type of information I was looking for because I have a frag that I thought was Eagle Eyes, but wasn't sure because it was more reddish.

Here is mine:
newaddition.jpg

***First post updated with color info****

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine along with the contents of a 120 almost a year ago.
click on pic for new window; second pic is large.

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ficklefins said:
Here is mine:
newaddition.jpg

Excellent photo, I hadn't seen this "red ring blue" morph, mine have yet to "sport" one of those out. They are all part of the same mat, correct?

Jon

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as source location, the ones I currently have on my site came from Vietnam.

eagleeyes2.jpg

Not sure if the other morph in the pic is the same mat, or a small subgroup.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jonbar1 said:
ficklefins said:
Here is mine:
newaddition.jpg

Excellent photo, I hadn't seen this "red ring blue" morph, mine have yet to "sport" one of those out. They are all part of the same mat, correct?

Jon

Jon,

I think my LFS glues two color strains together to sell the frag easier. I doubt that they have any connection, but I could be wrong.

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is just different colors of eagle eyes.Here is a pic of some tiny frags from 3 different colonies.They have all been in the same spot in my tank for at least 6 months.You can see the one on the right is darker.It also grows alot slower than the others.The ones in back have yellow slit mouths.I use auto everything on the pic.The one on the right is more of a deep orange/ red in person.

acrosaug2006107.jpg

Trull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find these zoanthus splendid, it is for the moment, the zoanthus which I prefer, but in France, all your zoanthus is more beautiful the ones than the others. I think that this post is really a good idea. :D :D

jjmcat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the first zoas I purchased.I still recive great trade value at my lfs.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the standard one. This camera is just a point and shoot I bought when my neice was born 3 years ago. It says: "AF Zoom 6.3-63mm 1:2.8-3.7" whatever that all means!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back