A R2R Spotlight: "Nuclear Green"

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody, and sorry for the delay in our next Spotlight. I don't have this strain so much of the information is blank. So it is up to our community to put together the great info the rest of us need.

Nuclear Green

nucleargreen.jpg

- A strikingly bright green color it brings back memories of those highlighter markers used in school. This paly is known for its large disc and unmistakable nuclear green color. This strain is very similar to Purple Deaths and their care is pretty much identical.

This color strain was named by da6d2003 :wave: .

Lighting:
- Nukes are a very adaptive Palys and can do well in lower to medium lighting. Owners report that these Palys do best under medium lighting.

Flow:
- Nukes do best under a medium flow situation. A medium flow situation is one that will make the tentacles wave in the current, but does not cause the polyp to close.

Feeding:
- Pukes will accept food and may do have better growth when fed.

Origins:
-

Rarity:
- Still a very elusive Paly to find, individual frags can demand a pretty good price.

ID Confusions:
-

Other info:
- This color strain was originally named by da6d2003 who also supplied the picture on Nuclear Green. Nuclear Green strains are similar to Purple Deaths except for the swap in the oral disc color.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to comment on past Club-Zoa Spotlights:

Club-Zoa Zoanthid/Paly spotlights
Mean Green

Eagle Eyes

Purple People Eaters

Zoanthid Anatomy

Armageddon

Purple Death

Armor of Gods

Club-Zoa Care Spotlights:

Shipping Methods

Zoa Dip

Zoanthid Anatomy

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just pics for now.. I will elaborate later... :)

much thanks goes out to David (da6d2003) for being generous to sharing this awesome and striking paly.. and giving an appropriate name...

here are some of my favorite shots of my Nuclear Green palys..

4_NuclearGreenClose.jpg

NuclearGreen_Close.jpg

NuclearGreen_2.jpg

Brandon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Marvin!
are there any zoas/palys that you DONT have?!!? :D

sweet nuclear greens haha

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably my favorite paly, I also was lucky enough to get some from Dave. Every time I post pics of them people find it hard to believe they are really as neon as they look.

Once my frag got settled in, it has proven to be a very fast grower and produces at least 3-4 polyps a month. I feed frozen mysis and Arcti-Pods spot fed once every week or so.

My recent pics don't do them justice since they've recently been fragged, but here's some older ones

Under 14K MH
126_2656.jpg

126_2655.jpg

Under stock AquaPod lighting (PCs)
125_2537.jpg

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine low right now under 250w MH 14k hamiltons along with 2 110w super actinic VHOs....They are in all most the exact same conditions as my Purple Deaths....They also feed like Purple Deaths, I honestly think they are the same species and morph just differant colors. After looking at them up cloe I cannot find any distingushing differances between them. Here is a couple of pictures of mine.....
DSCN0338.jpg

DSCN0337.jpg

Randy

Zoa Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of mine they are not as bright as da6d2003 but look to be the same.It could be because mine have been kept under 10k??????

dec2006003-1.jpg

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
growth pics... my original frag was 3 adults and 1-2 babies I think.. I broke it in half to have a back up for trades later...

09-21-06.. main frag (2 adults; 1-2 babies)
Nuclears_09-21-06.jpg

11-10-06.. same frag under actinics only though..
Nuclears_11-10-06Act.jpg

currently, I have about 15+ polyps counting the babies.. it's been a pretty good grower for me.. :)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with 5 polyps about 3 weeks ago I think maybe a little longer, I now have almost 12 polyps...Almost is because there is anew one starting to pop out.....Ao I am going to split one off for a back up.

pookstreet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, how do you guys get so much growth? I don't have Nuclear Greens but I don't see any of my zoas/palys grow that fast. How often do you guys feed and in general, what do you feed? Thanks.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding Cyclop-eeze, mysis, golden pearls....I ran out of Cyclop-eeze so I feed them mysis for know....I have noticed that PDs seem to really grow after being fragged...I fragged about 6-7 single polyps of 2 weeks ago and almost all of the single polyps are now 2.....

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenny, don't fret about the growth. These must be related to tribbles and gremlins. That's part of the reason I named them nuclear. They seem to have mutant growth rates.

The mother colony in the above photo is about 8" from the water surface right under a 250w HQI radium bulb. Flow wise it's inline with but 3 feet away from a Tunze 6100.

pookstreet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha......I always fret when my corals don't grow fast enough. I am tired of staring at a single or 2 polyp frags for months on end :D

Now if these polyps can only grow as fast as my SPS.........

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as of yesterday pic of main colony.. can you tell they're one of my favorites? :D
Nuclears_12-05-0615k.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back