A R2R Spotlight: "People Eaters" (PE)

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The People Eaters (PE) group of Zoanthids is by far my favorite style of Zoanthids or Paly. They are characterized by their distinctive green mouth, large polyp size, and unfortunately slow growth. While the group of Zoanthids considered PEs is small in number, they come in different colors, patterns, and prices. From the classic and distinctive PPE to the easier to find brown/green PE. Join R2R as we discuss the most recognizable acronym in the Zoanthid community.

People Eaters (PE)

PE3.jpg

The PE group falls under the scientific name of Zoanthus gigantus, despite the common reference to them as "palys" (I'm guilty of this myself :D). The most distinguishing characteristic of this group is the bright almost neon green mouth. In some color variations this green mouth may not be as easy to detect due to speckled colors on the oral disc drowning out the green color ( http://www.zoaid.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=207 ). When the question of "Is it a PE, or not" comes up and the mouth is not a 100% indicator the hobbyist can also check their closed polyp for the watermelon like white striations that are existent on the outside of the polyp.

Lighting:
- PEs do best in med light situations:
- While PEs can handle any level of light situation they show best when in med/higher light situations. The best case scenarios for PEs varies with each strain, but these palys can handle a wide range of light situations. Ideally the hobbyist will have a lot of PC lights, T5 lights, or MH lights. The safest way to test what your PE can handle is to start it at the lowest point in the tank and move it higher over time.

Flow:
- PEs like medium/high flow
- PEs seem to like the subtle/high flow areas of the tank and open up larger with higher flow. Flow levels can be determined by watching the polyp reaction. The ideal situation is that the skirt gets disturbed by the flow and the polyp stays open. If the polyp closes due to flow then you are subjecting the PE to too much flow.

Feeding:
- Even though the majority of its nutrition comes from photosynthesis, they have short tentacles which can be used for suspension feeding. PEs can be fed a wide range of food but the key to feeding PEs is to make sure that it is small enough to fit in their mouth. Before feeding cut the food into 1/4 inch segments if not smaller. I have fed mysis, pellets and other types of food to my PEs.

Origins:
- Originally thought to be the Caribbeans, additionally a local hobbyist reported collecting RPEs in Hawaii.

Rarity:
- From unique and unattainable to common place at your LFS.

Other info:
- Certain PE strains have a purple/blue ring around the green mouth that distinguishes them from other types. See descriptions below for further info:

PE Catalog
- Information contained in this section will be used to aid users in IDing their specific strain.
GPE (Green People Eaters)
Skirt: Green
Oral Base: Green
Mouth: Green
Outer Mouth Ring: Yes for True GPE.

PPE (Purple People Eaters)
Oral Base: Purple
Outer Mouth Ring: No

RPE (Red People Eaters)
Oral Base: Red/Maroon
Outer Mouth Ring: Yes for True RPE.

Yet to be finished...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget, these spotlights are only as strong as the feedback and pics we get from you people out there. So please, post a comment, a pic, or a question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R2R has organized all the spotlights into a single forum so feel free to post pics, comments, or questions:

R2R Spotlight Series

Request a Spotlight

Last edited:

Preston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my RPE
ncnpg2.jpg

Got this one as a Milky Way PE
vmxego.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!!!!!

TM01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure are some awsome corals and pics guys. I have some PPE's right now that are doing well. Over time I can only hope to collect more..and more...and more...lol

aquarius77

¡ Viva la revolución!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your water in good condition and maybe down the road a light upgrade for it, other than that alot of zoos are pretty easy.

primetime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some GPE's.. one to show the striations that ficklefins mentioned in the original post and one pic to show them when they were just opening up.

gpe_closed.jpg

gpe_lights.jpg

Brock

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice informative thread Ficklefins, but it needs a bit of an update . . .

Couple pictures of mine

Hawiian Ding Dang Palys
PalyHawaiianDingDang24Feb09.jpg

Another Ding Dang shot;
PalyHawaiianDingDang16March09-1.jpg

OPE;
PalyRedPeopleEaterSharpened7Feb09.jpg

True RPE;
PalyTrueRedPE8March09.jpg

PPE;
PalyPurplePeopleEater29March09.jpg

93foxstang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HarryFish827070381.jpg

These were one of my faves but they dont look the same the polyps have shrunk down in size alot

another type I lost
HarryFish827070501.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Revisiting this! Share your PE's!

shaft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm picking up a couple these on saturday.
Their calling them peach people eaters...

3e6ura4e.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back