A R2R Spotlight: "Purple People Eater" (PPE)

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PPE

bannerPPE.jpg

-Where to start! The PPE color strain may be labeled as the catalyst for the naming trend, and the $$$$ per polyp sales. These "Zoanthus gigantus" first started with Blane Perun from www.farms-of-thesea.com in 2001. Here is more of the story from his website.

" I obtained this colony by chance in or around 2001. .. After about 1 year the specimen began coloring up and I sold off about 15 fragments for $25-$35 bucks each, ironically most of these people complained about the piece when they go it. The colony at that time still was not mature, not reaching it's fully beauty. The following year I sold propagation's for about $40 bucks and people were outraged. So I stopped but soon saw them selling on ebay for about $200."
http://www.farms-of-thesea.com/catalog/fund_drive.html

Blane continues on to describe how he turned his big money corals into a means to sponsor charities. His website describes a bit more about this topic. After reading it you get a great feeling about Blane as a retailer and a person, so make sure to check out the link above.

More background below.

Lighting:
- PPEs may be a more sensitive Zoanthus that prefers a lower location in the tank. Acclimation should be done under indirect light or in a more shaded area. Once your PPEs have adjusted to your tank conditions/lights it has been suggested that the best coloration comes from a low - low/medium placement.

Flow:
- Medium flow with a chaotic pattern preferred. Medium flow is enough to shake the skirts but not enough force the polyp to close. Trial and error may be needed, but it is always safer to start with a lower flow and add more.

Feeding:
- Some hobbiests have noticed a feeding behavior from these Zoanthus gigantus. Keep in mind that larger Zoanthus gigantus and Palythoas have shown food capturing responses. While this is a case by case basis it is not a must for this color strain.

Origins:
- The Caribbeans

Rarity:
- Still a rather rare color strain, the PPE has seen more trading recently and still demands a rather high dollar per polyp price.

ID Confusions:
As one of the most sought after zoas there are a lot of imposters and look a likes. The key to IDing PPEs is the clear and defined colors. There are only 2 colors in this strain. Bright green skirt, purple disc, and a distinctive green slit mouth. PPE's are Zoanthus gigantus (as are all people eaters that I know of). The white striping on the underside of the polyp along with the green slit mouth seem to be the indicators.

Other info:
It has been mentioned that another, or original, source of these Zoanthus may have been Bryan (Logical Reef). This is still being confirmed at this time.

The PPE not only started the IDing trend but it also set a label to the distinctive green slit mouth we now see in the hobby. Whenever another color combination with a green mouth is seen in the hobby it gets the "_PE" name added to it.

A lot of serious collectors want a "Certificate of Authenticity" for this color strain. With so many similar color patterns out there, the serious collector likes to know how a particular PPE frag descended from Blane's original colony. Keep in mind that some do not even consider new wild colonies to be true PPEs with conversations about authenticity getting real crazy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure this Spotlight will get more responses than the last, but if you have any information or pics for the following, then please post:
Mean Green

Eagle Eyes

Last edited:

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCN0156.jpg

Here is mine, I got it from a member here on Club-zoa.com.....It is still coloring up at this time has 2 new polyps starting.....I have mine about midway up in the rock work and under a quite abit of flow....I have feed it and it will accept small bits of mysis or cyclop-eeze.

Lighting....

250 watts mh 14k hamilton about 6-7 inchs from the surface of the water.
Supplimented with 220 VHO 1x 110 watts white actinic and 1x 110 watts of 03 super actinic.

I would have posted on the mean greens but that is one I am still looking for......:(

da6d2003

Definately OCD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine. I've had 3 different frags from different sources. These are the most intense of the 3.
newpe.jpg

Here are some imposters. Jokers.
joker.jpg

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, my PPE do not like lots of light, and the kelvin of your light will dictate the actual color of the PPE. Ive never spot fed them and the growth is about a polyp a month :?
When I first got them they looked like this:

IMGP1056.jpg

Me being stupid moved them from that overhang into direct 250 watt Hamilton 14k light ~ which for some reason appears more like 10 k. One ballast with the 14k appears a nice bluish color while the other ballast (icecap) makes the bulb appear more towards 10k. This is what they looked like after about 8 months:

ppe.jpg

I have since moved them to the other side of the tank where they bluer light is. Its been around a month and a half and already notice the purple coming back. :D The two polyps that are inverted have already recovered, I thought they were goners but turned around nicely. These are the most recent pics I have~3-4 weeks ago. I will try to get more pics of them.

Picture001.jpg

P7250471.jpg

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine aren't colored up yet after being in with the 250W DE's. They seem to do about the same anywhere I put them. They have started putting on polyps a little faster since I moved them under the 175W 15K's.

PPE's are Zoanthus gigantus (as are all people eaters that I know of). The white striping on the underside of the polyp along with the green slit mouth seem to be the indicators.

OP
OP
ficklefins

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've updated some of the information, but I'm still looking for some key tidbits. Flow? Are they a typical medium flow, or are they like Palys and enjoy high flow?

The response so far has been good! Keep thos pics and comments coming.

BTW, I hope you guys don't mind me stealing :twisted: your comments.

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also remember someone elses PPE that acquired white spots on the face of the polyp from recieving too high and intense light. They retained the spots; however, the new emerging polyps didnt have the spots after being moved. I know Mfinn has ppe's, is he on here?

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ppe all strains did well under light. I ran 400's and they all did well, Granted they were at the bottom, But i could keep clams very happy at the bottom of the tank too.
I get moderate growth out of them. Def now slow growers for me.

JGoslee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine under 250watt de's and they have to be kept at the bottom or they get speckles and almost a dark reddish color to them. I have them between 2 tunze streams and I've never had them close up due to being in high flow.

Stixbaraca

Zoanthid Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read when they are inverted and other palys for that matter it means they are unhappy!

Here are mine. I just got them this week in a trade, the polyp in the back you can't see has the spots from too much direct light. I have them under low/medium flow about 20" from my PC lights.

PPE9-15-06.jpg

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One guy I know traded 3 polyps for a calcium reactor, no joke... Crazy how hard it is to get them. I finally got some... and I think I am going to keep trying to get more and add them to one rock to make a colony... they are soooo beautiful, very calming colors... Like looking at the purply night sky when the stars are behind clouds, imo.

:D
Laurie

Last edited:

Chris2222000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jessiesgrrl said:
I don't have any yet... Working on it though!!! I have only seen one set in person- and that guy traded 3 polyps for a calcium reactor, no joke... Crazy how hard it is to get them.

:D
Laurie

LOL you know why....its because youre so far North! Why dont you just ask Santa? :wink: ( Thats if you were a good girl this year :wink: )
One day I shall visit Maine and carry along with me a purple people eater :D
I just recieved my phoenix de bulb, so hopefully my ppe will look much better, then I'll be interested in trading :wink: .

-Chris

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back