ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red People Eater

RPE_gadgets.jpg

- A two faced color strain, this paly has a few defining qualities along with a lot of variables that make it an interesting people eater. The two standard qualities of this RPE are a brick red color that can look maroon under different lighting, and a distinctive green mouth. Some of the variables include the color of the skirt and the pattern on the oral disc. This spotlight will cover the two most popular strains of the RPE, the one pictured above, and the more standard RPE without the blue around the mouth or near the skirt.

Lighting:
- RPEs love all types of light but lighting also determines what they will look like in the end. When RPEs are kept higher in the tank they tend to lose their blood red color for a lighter almost translucent red or orange. Lower in the th tank RPEs will have a deep color but may loose any definition in their oral disc. In the end RPE strains will tolerate a vast range of lighting from PC--T5--MH, so frag your colony and play around with placement.

Flow:
- I have found that RPEs like a little bit more flow than your typical zoanthid. This strain will enjoy having their skirt blown around with a constant flow, but not enough to make them close for an extended period of time.

Feeding:
- RPEs will eat just about anything they can fit in their mouths. Make sure to limit the food to something smaller than the wide part of the mouth. I personally have fed everything from mysis to flake food as long as it can fit in their mouth. RPEs will also show an anemone like reaction to food in that their skirt will capture and pull food into the mouth.

Origins:
-

Rarity:
- The all maroon variation is not as rare as the one pictured above. The "more" rare variation can be distinguished by a differing skirt pattern and a blue area around the mouth.

ID Confusions:
- This strain can often be confused for other strains. You will often find RPEs confused with PRPE and OPE.

Other info:
-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to comment on past Club-Zoa Spotlights:

Club-Zoa Zoanthid/Paly spotlights
Mean Green

Eagle Eyes

Purple People Eaters

Zoanthid Anatomy

Armageddon

Purple Death

Armor of Gods

Nuclear Green

Club-Zoa Care Spotlights:

Shipping Methods

Zoa Dip

Zoanthid Anatomy

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fishes...those look like they may be PRPE's if they have a purple center with pinkish red skirt. hard to tell with the pic up close.

oh well........will the real RPE please stand up.........pleast stand up ;) lol

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i think your right Al. They have been getting some light pink on the skirts over the past couple months.

Coloring up i guess...

Steve :)

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are mine I got last week in a trade........
DSCN0367.jpg

I have had this morph 2 other times, this being my 3rd time and seem to the best yet....Both other time they melted away for unknown reasons. This frag I have at the bottom of my tank and in-direct light from 250 watt 14 halides. The flow is medium and almost constant. I have not feed them but if they are like any of the other PE typ polyps I am sure they will eat mysis of which is the basis of my food that I feed.....I also have the PRPE(surf) and that is also in the same type of flow but in more direct lighting at the bottom of the tanks also.I also have the blander faded red type that has grown well over the last year and does eat mysis readily in a little less flow and aslo in in-direct lighting....
Surf's PRPE...
DSCN0215.jpg

I lost 2 polyps off this frag, but this one seems to be doing great and looks to pop out a new one....
Blander red then the first ones.....
DSCN0155.jpg

This one has since closed up and begining to shrink away......

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are mine, on a side note, Id never guess thatthese are a treat for purple tangs......
P1010228-2.jpg

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are these something people really want? i come across them all the time but pas them up becasue to me they are a rather dull coral. just wondering how popular they really are?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
are these something people really want? i come across them all the time but pas them up becasue to me they are a rather dull coral. just wondering how popular they really are?

To be honest I think some people mix up the brown pe with the real rpe. The real red ones are not as available as the brownish ones.

brown ones

ee0a0734.jpg

red ones

Untitled-23.jpg

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the "true" RPE's are quite sought after. but alot of people dont know the difference b/w the dull maroonish looking ones and the ones that are truely red.

i use my color basis for "red zoas" based on the color of my RPE's, which are a true red. i dont have any other coral in my tank even close to the red of my RPE's. as you can see, they have the stripes and the dark center around the green slit mouth. these are supposedly the "true RPE's".

(note...they look a bit faded in this pic b/c when i took it over a year ago i had an *incident* with carbon)
red%20people%20eaters.jpg

in this pic, is an RPE frag on the left, and PRPE in the middle and on the right. the PRPE in the middle came from a friends tank under very low PC lighting.
PRPE%20compared.jpg

all of my PRPE's look like this now:
PRPEs.jpg

with the PRPE's...i've found their coloration to depend greatly on the lighting and if they are "happy". sometimes i lose that purple color for no reason, or get red stripes. kinda strange. they look really good under T5's in twon8's frag tank.

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine changes colors drastically when I changed lighting. I think that has alot to do with it.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet pics guy's....Twon I really like how the skirts are transparent with the deep red face on them....

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twon,

Since getting T5 lights the RPEs I have pictured above are doing the same thing as yours.

what bulbs are you running? they are under one ge 6500k and one blueplus
i almost think it is bleaching them with too much light, but they are growing well so i'm left not knowing if the clear skirts are good or bad.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back