A reef on the 10th floor

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

This is my 60"x24"x24" or 150x60x60cm tank (about 142USgal, 119UKgal or 540litres).

The tank was rebuilt five months ago after the chiller had let me down while I was on a holiday. When I arrived home the water temp was at 95ºF (35ºc) and I had no choice but to frag most of my colonies. The chiller has been replaced with an AC compressor with a drop-in coil since.

During the process of fragging and removal of the dead corals using a flat screwdriver and a hammer, the rockscape collapsed and I almost threw the towel and called it quits!... but, as all you know this is no simple hobby... this is an addiction!... an addiction I have since the first time a friend of mine invited me to see his saltwater tank and I was green with envy and then started my first saltwater tank 200USgal circa 1990.

This tank is smaller... :( because I now live on a 10th floor and the lifts are small!

Removed everything from the tank, gave it a good cleaning, placed new rocks, new sand, new everything, my frags, a few surviving colonies and the fish.

Cycling has been a nightmare (water is done but rocks take usually no less than a year). Nonetheless here is my humble reef as it looks today.

DSC_5772.jpg

The sump is a custom made simple tank with no baffles (30"x 18" x 15")
Return pump: Eheim Compact+ Marine
Skimmer: Tunze 9430
Calcium Reactor: Bubble Magus
UV: Eheim Reeflex 800
Lighting: 6x AI Hydra52 modules.
Flow: 2x Maxspect Gyre 150
Power Backup: APC Pro 1500 with Battery Pack
ATO: Small tank with DIY system
Cooling: 9000BTU AC compressor with drop-in coil (I am going to install a second one as backup)

Old salt: (more than one year in use until end of February this year: RedSea (blue bucket - the Pro version is too rich and far from NSW parameters, I tried the pro but the non-Pro gives me better results and less algae)

Carbon source: RedSea NoPox

Feeding corals and fish: Fish poo and home made recipe (nori sheets, clams, salmon, shrimp, squid eggs, brine shrimp)

Water changes 10% weekly

This month I am in the process of changing things using some Fauna Marin products:

Fauna Marin Professional Salt
Reef Vitality
Coral Balance
Color Elements

Water parameters:

Calcium: must be alright.
Magnesium: Just fine, the corals tell me.
Alk: 7.5 - 8.0 dKh (tested every other day)
Phosphate: must be close to undetectable.
Nitrates: Very close to 0 (tested every 4 days)
PH: Not tested.
SG 1.025
Temp 77ºF (25ºC)

I will be updating.

Last edited:

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what a great tank. Beautiful coloration of corals and great balance

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along for updates on this beautiful system!

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you supplementing anything? Especially for the great coloration in your SPS?

OP
OP
JMacedo

JMacedo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you supplementing anything? Especially for the great coloration in your SPS?

I started this month doing some changes and supplementing some Fauna Marin Products; Reef Vitality, Color Elements and Coral Balance but despite some improvements (better polyp extension), I have to say these colours were achieved before the Fauna Marin products with no supplementing, just fish poo and my homemade blend. Tank you so much for viewing my tank.

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this month doing some changes and supplementing some Fauna Marin Products; Reef Vitality, Color Elements and Coral Balance but despite some improvements (better polyp extension), I have to say these colours were achieved before the Fauna Marin products with no supplementing, just fish poo and my homemade blend. Tank you so much for viewing my tank.

Thanks for the reply
I love your tank :)

Baby Ray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the reply
I love your tank :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back