A Reef2Reef Spotlight "Scolymia" (Scoly)

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R members! I need your help to make this both informative and fun. So post away and I'll try and keep up with the updating this first post!

The Scolymia vitiensis and australis (aka Doughnut, Meat, or Button Coral ) has been coming in various colors lately making it an interesting new coral to get your hands on!

Thank you to Marvin for allowing the use of your Picture (aka MarvinsReef).

Scolymia

Scoly_Spotlight.jpg

Care Level:
- Easy/Medium: With medium flow and lighting requirements this coral is not very demanding but may require extra attention with direct feedings.

Lighting:
- Medium indirect for initial acclimation is preferred and the hobbyist must be wary of placing it directly under Metal Halide lighting.

- Allow for a longer acclimation period before moving the coral from the original position to a medium/high indirect location.

Flow:
- Medium indirect flow is preferred and may help the coral display a fuller fleshier look.

Feeding:
- Directly feeding Scolys can be an important aspect of maintaining good health in this LPS. During feedings, Scolys will open up revealing tentacles and a big hungry mouth.

Placement:
- The medium indirect light preference makes the sand bed the perfect place to situate your scoly; however, make sure that they flesh is not buried by sand.

Propagation:
- Being a pricey LPS the Scoly can be intimidating to propagate, but is possible for those brave or experienced enough with the use of a wet diamond blade band saw.

- Check out how ianiwane and others have made this courageous leap: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f44/fragging-scoly-19801.html

Origins:
- Native Distribution from AquaMaps Search Page
pic_URM-Cn-5889.jpg

Rarity:
- Not as rare as it once was in the past, but this may be due to the Scoly's recent popularity and incresed imports from Australia.

ID Confusions:
Cynarina lacrymalis or Acanthophyllia deshayesiana

Other info:
- Need another reason why you should get one of these gems? Check out the https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f44/official-scolymia-show-off-thread-31455-2.html .

- Aquarium Invertebrates
- Tidal Gardens - Scolymia
- Scolymia vitiensis, :
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget, these spotlights are only as strong as the feedback and pics we get from you people out there. So please post a comment, a pic, or a question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R2R has organized all the spotlights into a single forum so feel free to post pics, comments, or questions:

R2R Spotlight Series

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything!!! That things willl eat everything I give it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just fed my new scoly some rods food and it loves it!

Here are a few scoly pics from me.

4456.jpg

3-3.jpg

9-1.jpg

2-4.jpg

TCK Corals

Always 100% Aquacultured
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you guys ever seen a black scoly?

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back