A return to the hobby...120g Planet Aquariums build

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

After a 5 year hiatus, I've decided to return to the hobby. I used to have a 28g nanocube, and then upgraded to a 65g which is essentially a taller 40 breeder. Well, right as the tank was hitting its stride, we ended up moving. I didn't want to complicate an already stressful move by breaking down and moving a reef tank, so I sold off my stuff. Now that we're settled and stable, I've decided to make a return and settled on a 120g tank. The size is a good balance between big but not so huge it will overwhelm me. Tank was ordered this weekend, so hopefully I'll get an estimated delivery date this week. I've also got my 10 yr old son along for the ride. Not sure who's more excited about the tank at this point...lol.

The goal is a mixed reef dominated by LPS, but with some SPS like montipora and birdsnest. No desire to get into acro's or anything.

So, onto the equipment list.

Tank - 120g Planet Aquariums tank with internal center overflow. I almost bought the one with the external tideline overflow, but read some concerning things about it, so I decided to go with an internal one.

Stand - I also went with the Planet Aquariums stand and canopy as the wife hates light spill into the room

Sump - Trigger systems Saphire 34 - seemed like a good size with still having a little room in the sump

Return pump - Varios 4

Skimmer- Reef octopus Regal 150SS

Powerheads - 2 MP40's

Heaters - 2 300W BRS heaters hooked up to an Inkbird controller

Fuge - Fuge section in the sump will be lit by a AI Prime fuge light

Lights - still undecided. Leaning towards a Reefbreeders V2+ Photon

Sand - went with a mix of Tropic Eden Mesoflakes and Miniflakes

Rock - planning to go with a company like Tampa Bay Saltwater, KP Aquatics, Salty Bottom, etc. I know the risks, but I LOVE watching the rock come alive after putting it into the tank

Salt - planning on using Red Sea blue bucket to start. Seems like it gets pretty close to my desired parameters.

Thoughts on equipment choices and overall tank choice ? Any red flags anyone can see ?
Most equipment is already purchased, but I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I currently have a Planet 120, my only comment would be since it has dual returns plan on using dual return pumps from the start. That way you can add a UV at a later time and also for redundancy.

OP
OP
hoju74

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I currently have a Planet 120, my only comment would be since it has dual returns plan on using dual return pumps from the start. That way you can add a UV at a later time and also for redundancy.
Any danger in tying the returns together to be fed by one pump ? I didn't run a UV on previous tanks, so that is new to me.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any danger in tying the returns together to be fed by one pump ? I didn't run a UV on previous tanks, so that is new to me.
No not at all, I was just giving you food for thought. I never ran UV until this tank and I won’t do without. All personal preference

OP
OP
hoju74

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked to the LFS last night. Tank should be delivered to my house June 3rd or 4th. Hopefully things keep moving along and the date doesn't change.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! My new 180 was delivered last night, 2.5 weeks start to finish for me. I'm also 45 mins from them though

OP
OP
hoju74

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My biggest fear is everything showing up and I unwrap it to discovered shattered glass. Especially since I've ordered almost all of my equipment...pumps, skimmer, sump, heaters, etc.

OP
OP
hoju74

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have a canopy I went with Reefbrite Supra slim duo T5’s and got a selection of bulbs to find a color spectrum I like.

Still haven’t decided on what I’m doing for LEDs. Debating between Reefbreeders or a couple of Hydras, but I’m open to other suggestions.

OP
OP
hoju74

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things...
Change of plans in lighting. I'm going with a 36" 6 bulb sunpower supplemented with reefbrite lumi-lite pro strips for pop and shimmer. I like the idea of being able to have 4 bulbs on one plug and two on another with the sunpower. My canopy is open and I plan on adding a couple fans, so ventilation shouldn't be a problem.

I also leak tested the sump (Trigger Saphirre 34) and....no leaks !! That is one sleek sump, I'll say that.
Hoping to get a firm delivery date on the tank from the LFS today. Last week they said it was the 3rd, so hoping that hasn't changed.

Last couple odds and ends should come this week...more T5 bulbs, bulkheads, etc.
Probably will order my rock from KP Aquatics this week or next week. Plan on curing it in a Brute can so mitigate huge water changes in the 120g tank and to keep an eye out for pesky hitchhikeers.

OP
OP
hoju74

hoju74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She’s finally here !!!
1F85D8C1-2C4A-4E7A-9598-211E282295A7.jpeg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was a build thread...lol ?
I’ve got the same tank. Bought mine almost 2 years ago. My stand and canopy are the Heritage style but same tank. I did a 40 breeder sump. I’ve kept mine as a fish only. Have other tanks out in the fish room for the reef and mantis tank. A couple more coming soon!
Here’s an old pic during cycling.
69451BC2-4CE6-4A9A-BA09-D999537CC106.jpeg

Exited to see your tank come together.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back